OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the concept of being able to move frags around to find their happy place. However, once they start encrusting- I wouldn’t want to break that formation. But I know they could be happier elsewhere possibly. Such I fine line hobby. Haha
I am super stoked to get a piece of the set to stun! Cannot wait!

corey

I found success in using marco shelf rubble, think most online retailers carry it. You can break pieces down to smaller more manageable size. I prefer mounting with AF polymer beads, easy to work with. I can usually drill a hole to accommodate frag plug, and usually choose sizes that give plenty of surface area for encrusting. Just a FYI
If you can keep the Set For Stun, you likely will have no problem with the jaw dropper, its a beautiful piece, mine just won't grow, think it needs more juice. Seeing where Tim's and Adam's settings are, I need to boost my white, red, and green channels. I am doing this slowly, hopefully lower lying acros will get on board :)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found success in using marco shelf rubble, think most online retailers carry it. You can break pieces down to smaller more manageable size. I prefer mounting with AF polymer beads, easy to work with. I can usually drill a hole to accommodate frag plug, and usually choose sizes that give plenty of surface area for encrusting. Just a FYI
If you can keep the Set For Stun, you likely will have no problem with the jaw dropper, its a beautiful piece, mine just won't grow, think it needs more juice. Seeing where Tim's and Adam's settings are, I need to boost my white, red, and green channels. I am doing this slowly, hopefully lower lying acros will get on board :)
What’s the trick to those af polymer beads? IMO they are $50 pieces of garbage. I could never get them to stick under water. Super glue and epoxy works so much better for me

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the trick to those af polymer beads? IMO they are $50 pieces of garbage. I could never get them to stick under water. Super glue and epoxy works so much better for me

They only work outside of water. They become a hard plastic once put into water and very secure. I have made rock structures using as a binder, lol. Only works for specific purpose. Great for applying fresh cut frags branches onto plugs. No messy glue fingers ;) Just have to microwave rodi often to near boil to keep glue pliable.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only work outside of water. They become a hard plastic once put into water and very secure. I have made rock structures using as a binder, lol. Only works for specific purpose. Great for applying fresh cut frags branches onto plugs. No messy glue fingers ;) Just have to microwave rodi often to near boil to keep glue pliable.
Disposable nitrile gloves remedies the super glue problem. I’ve gone through hundreds of tubes and never had a problem. Much easier/safer than boiling water and melted plastic :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disposable nitrile gloves remedies the super glue problem. I’ve gone through hundreds of tubes and never had a problem. Much easier/safer than boiling water and melted plastic :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Yeah, stuff only works on sticks, but I don't really frag yet ;) I have those same gloves, but still forget to put them on when working with superglue, lol...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried the beads in the past and had soSo luck with them. I’m super stoked for the set for sun piece. I’ll be driving over to get in December I believe. I just added the MMC prom queen as well. I’m back and forth on the jaw dropper. It is a beautiful piece, but I’m running out of space and still looking for some old classic pieces. Although I have been reading a thread where they attach frags to short acrylic rod pieces which allow you to put frags in places not possible first. It’s been interesting to see how people are doing it and it does have me thinking some.
I should start a thread to document my corals…..haha

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried the beads in the past and had soSo luck with them. I’m super stoked for the set for sun piece. I’ll be driving over to get in December I believe. I just added the MMC prom queen as well. I’m back and forth on the jaw dropper. It is a beautiful piece, but I’m running out of space and still looking for some old classic pieces. Although I have been reading a thread where they attach frags to short acrylic rod pieces which allow you to put frags in places not possible first. It’s been interesting to see how people are doing it and it does have me thinking some.
I should start a thread to document my corals…..haha

corey

The Jawdropper is really my favorite, but the BKChem Creme de le Creme has really been catching my eye. Something about smooth skin corals has gotten in my blood, just been searching around for obscure stuff. The ORA Dustins Deepwater Acro is still #1 on my list. My Set For Stun is coming out of a funk, I think it and my Jawdropper were overwhelmed by RB'S and high N03, they are both getting back to normal, but that means growth won't resume for quite awhile. And they are both slow growers for me. Meanwhile my Pearlberry has visions of a single acro display ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving Stickheads!!!

Sunset Milli
20221124_111309.jpg

RR Black Sabbath
20221124_111010.jpg

Turee Pinky The Bear
20221124_110759.jpg

Purple Smoothie
20221124_110723.jpg

TSA Bill Murray
20221124_110622.jpg

Pink Lantana Table
20221124_110444.jpg

BC Mr Nuetron
20221124_110414.jpg

Sweet Tart Shortcake
20221124_110328.jpg

JF Fox Flame
20221124_110224.jpg

BigR WD
20221124_110109.jpg

CC Pink Highlighter
20221124_105930.jpg

JF Blowtorch
20221124_105832.jpg

TSA Fruity Pebbles
20221124_105740.jpg

BC Bonfire
20221124_105653.jpg

KC Bright Rose
20221124_105611.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it happy thanksgiving Perry! That purple smooth skin has some slight PM vibes to it.

Hey Tim,
Hope you had a nice holiday :)
That purple one is fairly unique, I see hints of deepwater smoothie, at least in the branches. I would say sort of granulosa like, but the corralites are throwing me off, polyps are deep red. This color is not duplicated in any other coral in the tank, so from a distance, it truly stands out, especially under full spectrum.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current lighting?

as i look through thread at FTS I see rocks covered in coralline in T5 times but now I see rocks with green algae, wondering if these are LED times

I only notice this because I’ve experienced the same lack of coralline growth under certain LED

corals look great, nice job!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current lighting?

as i look through thread at FTS I see rocks covered in coralline in T5 times but now I see rocks with green algae, wondering if these are LED times

I only notice this because I’ve experienced the same lack of coralline growth under certain LED

corals look great, nice job!
Hello and thank you for the kind words!
This rock, dating back to when I set up my previous tank, has always had some sort of funk. That said, some of the times I have had a very clean rockwork, and others I have dealt with bubble, hair, cyano, and dinos. What is currently visible is the green cyano, which came on in replacement of red cyano, which was previously hair. I sort of rotate through different outbreaks, lol. Unfortunately, I don't think the lighting plays a factor, at least for me. I run pretty white under led too. I believe mine had everything to do with back and forth chasing of N03, and the various systems deployed to combat. I am coming off a carbon/bacteria system to more natural. I do run a cup of passive GAC in a mesh bag, but other than water changes, powerful skimming, and heavy feeding, I just let nutrients rest where they rest. Since doing so, the rock seems to be looking cleaner..Always something :)

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know I think it’s the lights…

lol, just messing with you to see how much I can get you thinking

I’ve had tanks where I run LED and SPS do well, both color n growth were there but I could not get any coralline growing in direct light

underside of rocks, covered
MP 40’s, covered
Overflow box, covered

With T5 I never had those issues
Same with halide, I never had those issues

Obviously you know what you’re doing and have been doing it’s for a while so there is no question there

I just figured I’d add a little fuel to the fire on this thanksgiving weekend

:)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know I think it’s the lights…

lol, just messing with you to see how much I can get you thinking

I’ve had tanks where I run LED and SPS do well, both color n growth were there but I could not get any coralline growing in direct light

underside of rocks, covered
MP 40’s, covered
Overflow box, covered

With T5 I never had those issues
Same with halide, I never had those issues

Obviously you know what you’re doing and have been doing it’s for a while so there is no question there

I just figured I’d add a little fuel to the fire on this thanksgiving weekend

:)

Well you got me thinking, lol, so I reviewed all my pics since the reboot, which was mainly all LED. It was only a couple months back that I decided to go hybrid. Now, what I do see is how the rocks appear to be cleanest following a break from carbon/bac source. I have been going back and forth for quite awhile doing several things in chase of N03 reduction. Finally, I went with dilution idea, of offsetting parameters with water changes of 25% weekly, and have been tapering down to 20%. N03 under control, the gradual rise is offset by weekly water changes. Now, it has been mentioned by several reefers who run carbon/bacteria source that coralline has a difficult time growing, so perhaps that can be attributed....hmmm
Not real sure, but I do notice that when the biome is settled, and the minerals are balanced, and mg is above 1300ppm, that coralline booms. My back wall is completely covered.
Anyway, more random thoughts...

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wise old reefer once told me

“the solution to the pollution is dilution”

Your corals look happy so that’s a plus

I’ve never heard the theory of carbon dosing inhibiting coralline growth, ill
Look into it

personally I’m not a fan of carbon dosing but I know there are a million ways to run a successful aquarium

I look forward to the progress over the next few months and seeing if the coralline comes back

lol, I have some t5 fixtures if you want to Run som experiments

;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wise old reefer once told me

“the solution to the pollution is dilution”

Your corals look happy so that’s a plus

I’ve never heard the theory of carbon dosing inhibiting coralline growth, ill
Look into it

personally I’m not a fan of carbon dosing but I know there are a million ways to run a successful aquarium

I look forward to the progress over the next few months and seeing if the coralline comes back

lol, I have some t5 fixtures if you want to Run som experiments

;)

Pretty sure that old wise man told me the same thing, but it took me awhile to pull my head from my ****, lol....

So the thought about c-source dosing is that the bacteria out-competes algaes for nutrients. I am not too sure, but these days, most encourage higher nutrients, so those programs, while effective, are not really necessary. Now, if you like the pastelling look, low nutrients will get you there, I personally have always liked more saturated colors.

As far as my tank is currently concerned, the coralline is still heavy throughout the tank, but more concentrated on the back wall of the tank, but the rocks are suffering mainly due to my hermits being re-homed while running interceptor. Once I update the clean up crew, hopefully the rocks wilk be more colorful. True though, the corals are all glowing and crazy pe, so something is working, lol.

Don't tempt me with t5's, I have been a t5 guy all my reefing history, going back to when arguments flamed over t5 effectiveness and their inferiority matched up against MH. Anyway, I am happy to be using them again, but they don't throw down like an ATI fixture does :)

Cheers! :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Perry! Glad all is well after the hurricane!

Thank you!!!
All is moving along pretty well. 2 hurricanes this season, but Ian was the bear. 5 days no power, but it all worked out good.
The tank is doing better by simplifying and focusing mainly on larger water changes. I am getting closer and closer to target goals for parameters, and very happy going back to AF Reef salts. The biome looks steady, corals appear happy, so just grateful to be able to keep a healthy reef :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a side shot today, as it seems some corals are not shown often, like the montis bottom left, check out the Chilli pepper monti and Nauti Spiral totally growing on each other, Chilli pepper winning this war. If you look close enough, that red monti plate is actually purple and red grafted, very cool piece :)
This week I broke 20ppm for N03, 17.7ppm!!! P04 continues to stay put, at 0.08-.12ppm, so that is actually perfect. This has been a long road from some close calls with smoothies, they didn't like 80ppm n03, nor did they like red bugs. That said, water changes have gotten me there. I did several weeks at 20 gallons a week, last 2 weeks at 15 gallons. I will continue at 15 gallons until I reach 10ppm. There, I will begin 10 gallons weekly to offset any rise.
I have now moved to a more simplistic way of reefing, I feel that I am getting close to a balanced, happy reef, no carbon or bacteria, no zeolites, and no amino acids. I do run passive carbon, but that's it. I feed the same foods daily very heavy, LRS quarter size chunk, and 2 hikari mysis cubes. I disable return pump and skimmer, and let all the food stay in the tank for 30 minutes. Many mouths to feed on the reef, corals need it too :)

20221129_171252.jpg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a side shot today, as it seems some corals are not shown often, like the montis bottom left, check out the Chilli pepper monti and Nauti Spiral totally growing on each other, Chilli pepper winning this war. If you look close enough, that red monti plate is actually purple and red grafted, very cool piece :)
This week I broke 20ppm for N03, 17.7ppm!!! P04 continues to stay put, at 0.08-.12ppm, so that is actually perfect. This has been a long road from some close calls with smoothies, they didn't like 80ppm n03, nor did they like red bugs. That said, water changes have gotten me there. I did several weeks at 20 gallons a week, last 2 weeks at 15 gallons. I will continue at 15 gallons until I reach 10ppm. There, I will begin 10 gallons weekly to offset any rise.
I have now moved to a more simplistic way of reefing, I feel that I am getting close to a balanced, happy reef, no carbon or bacteria, no zeolites, and no amino acids. I do run passive carbon, but that's it. I feed the same foods daily very heavy, LRS quarter size chunk, and 2 hikari mysis cubes. I disable return pump and skimmer, and let all the food stay in the tank for 30 minutes. Many mouths to feed on the reef, corals need it too :)

20221129_171252.jpg

I’m so jealous of your rich, deep coloration! I’m having a hard time maintaining nutrients as I think bubble algae is sucking it all up. Maybe I need to shut off skimmer and return pump during feeding for a week and see what happens.

Back