OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have u had the copperband? Was it eating when u got it? And very nice tank by the way

Hello,
Thank you very much!!!
I just picked up the Copperband 2 weeks ago. It is eating pretty well during feeding, and seems to be picking the reef all day. It has taken to small aptasia, but the large ones it hasn't figured it out yet, lol :) Regardless of aptasia, it is my all time favorite fish. The Foxface has been a bit dominant, but all in all, the aggression seems low. Actually, the addition has calmed down the arc eye hawk quite a bit.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you very much!!!
I just picked up the Copperband 2 weeks ago. It is eating pretty well during feeding, and seems to be picking the reef all day. It has taken to small aptasia, but the large ones it hasn't figured it out yet, lol :) Regardless of aptasia, it is my all time favorite fish. The Foxface has been a bit dominant, but all in all, the aggression seems low. Actually, the addition has calmed down the arc eye hawk quite a bit.
Good deal, I wanna try one one day

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Wanted to give a pre-holiday update, things are a little busy with reefing projects, I am working to get some additional smoothies from Tim, this will be a special pack, so getting the room needed for future growout is at a premium right now. Actually, a few months ago, Ed, aka @Big E asked me what I was going to do with all those corals, what was my next plan, as I am around 58 acros and 10 montis, and only 90 gallons. Around the same time I picked up a Nuvo30l, and have been running it without livestock since. So, last night, I decided to pull the mangrove project, move that project to the 20 gallon quarinteen, and set the Nuvo for action. My first mini-colonies/colonies moved over were: Chili Pepper Monti, Nauti Spiral, Setosa, Sweetart Shortcake, Blue Acro, Greg Hillers Aquamarine Jewel, and Orange Bliss. These were chunky pieces, and let's say, that little tank will fill up fast.
Anyway, this gave me more space for remaining corals in the display and future space for new smoothies. I haven't finalized the order, but will include Ari's Avalance, Hungs Rainbow, and a handful of others including mostly granulosa. Fortunately, these grow very slow, so my plan Ed, if you are reading, is to eventually tie in a frag tank, and make that my smoothie tank. The Nuvo will include grow outs of my collectibles. The corals moved over to the Nuvo are to get the bacterial community in place. Also, water changes will include my 90's tank water as the Nuvo's change out water. Easy peasy.... I will drip kalk in between water changes to maintain ionic balance in the Nuvo.
All in all, I feel the 90 bommie is looking really nice, as a forced aquascape had to happen. I had some aesthetic issues with scape, so after a few hours, I finally was pleased. I still plan on moving a few more corals over to the Nuvo, but after that, I will simply frag and growout my favorite stuff. I am still on the fence of setting up a larger tank, but am torn between that, and simply adding a frag tank onto my system. Let's just say that Innovative Marine's sale going on right now has my full attention. I am trying so hard to not just get that 200 gallon lagoon :)

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all,
Wanted to give a pre-holiday update, things are a little busy with reefing projects, I am working to get some additional smoothies from Tim, this will be a special pack, so getting the room needed for future growout is at a premium right now. Actually, a few months ago, Ed, aka @Big E asked me what I was going to do with all those corals, what was my next plan, as I am around 58 acros and 10 montis, and only 90 gallons. Around the same time I picked up a Nuvo30l, and have been running it without livestock since. So, last night, I decided to pull the mangrove project, move that project to the 20 gallon quarinteen, and set the Nuvo for action. My first mini-colonies/colonies moved over were: Chili Pepper Monti, Nauti Spiral, Setosa, Sweetart Shortcake, Blue Acro, Greg Hillers Aquamarine Jewel, and Orange Bliss. These were chunky pieces, and let's say, that little tank will fill up fast.
Anyway, this gave me more space for remaining corals in the display and future space for new smoothies. I haven't finalized the order, but will include Ari's Avalance, Hungs Rainbow, and a handful of others including mostly granulosa. Fortunately, these grow very slow, so my plan Ed, if you are reading, is to eventually tie in a frag tank, and make that my smoothie tank. The Nuvo will include grow outs of my collectibles. The corals moved over to the Nuvo are to get the bacterial community in place. Also, water changes will include my 90's tank water as the Nuvo's change out water. Easy peasy.... I will drip kalk in between water changes to maintain ionic balance in the Nuvo.
All in all, I feel the 90 bommie is looking really nice, as a forced aquascape had to happen. I had some aesthetic issues with scape, so after a few hours, I finally was pleased. I still plan on moving a few more corals over to the Nuvo, but after that, I will simply frag and growout my favorite stuff. I am still on the fence of setting up a larger tank, but am torn between that, and simply adding a frag tank onto my system. Let's just say that Innovative Marine's sale going on right now has my full attention. I am trying so hard to not just get that 200 gallon lagoon :)
IM 200g peninsula is one of the sexiest tanks..get it Perry ☺️

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank full of smoothies sounds awesome to me. I agree, those IM larger ext tanks have awesome footprints. The 150 is super cool.

Hey John,
I think if I do upgrade, I will likely do this tank, and it is seriously a large setup with the depth. I also have my eye on the 36x36x20" cube :) If I did this, I would not have to update lighting, just add a couple bars.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey John,
I think if I do upgrade, I will likely do this tank, and it is seriously a large setup with the depth. I also have my eye on the 36x36x20" cube :) If I did this, I would not have to update lighting, just add a couple bars.
Yeah, that footprint is great. I don't regret going 16" deep, but having a couple more inches doesn't hurt. It just gives you a little more room before the stags grow out of the water. :p

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

Hi Perry,

I went down that same road as you about 8 years ago. I added a frag tank to use for backups and a few new acros and I just over stuffed it with more new corals........it never ended. There's always something else you want.
When I now look back about 3/4 of those acros are nothing special and I can sure live without them. A large number of these were hype corals over that time that were/are mainly duds that just don't stack up.

So it's now time for me the go the complete opposite and grow out a handful of large colonies in my new 150g build. Setups like that blow me away when I see them...............artistic aquascape and colorful colonies that can stand alone like beacons containing all the main color palates.

Just recently my friends tank sprung a leak and I was shocked at the size of his colonies. He keeps a small amount of high end pieces and gives them room to grow. As luck would have it my 80g was empty & my 150g has space, so we saved his corals and fish. People very seldom grow corals out and instead create fruit stands of corals with none really having the room to thrive.

My favorite setups have all been when I was able to stop adding corals.

It all comes down to what gives you pleasure and keeps you motivated, so it's all good in the end.

Those innovative marine tanks are sexy and I have always wanted to get the 150g lagoon tank.........maybe some day.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Perry,

I went down that same road as you about 8 years ago. I added a frag tank to use for backups and a few new acros and I just over stuffed it with more new corals........it never ended. There's always something else you want.
When I now look back about 3/4 of those acros are nothing special and I can sure live without them. A large number of these were hype corals over that time that were/are mainly duds that just don't stack up.

So it's now time for me the go the complete opposite and grow out a handful of large colonies in my new 150g build. Setups like that blow me away when I see them...............artistic aquascape and colorful colonies that can stand alone like beacons containing all the main color palates.

Just recently my friends tank sprung a leak and I was shocked at the size of his colonies. He keeps a small amount of high end pieces and gives them room to grow. As luck would have it my 80g was empty & my 150g has space, so we saved his corals and fish. People very seldom grow corals out and instead create fruit stands of corals with none really having the room to thrive.

My favorite setups have all been when I was able to stop adding corals.

It all comes down to what gives you pleasure and keeps you motivated, so it's all good in the end.

Those innovative marine tanks are sexy and I have always wanted to get the 150g lagoon tank.........maybe some day.

Hey Ed,
I totally get what you are saying, I look forward to seeing your 150 and the new look. That look, reminds me of why I have been drawn to European styles in reefing over the years. I miss my old 120 which represented that vision. Anyway, I have quite a few acros, and some of the are real gems. I am enjoying the collecting phase, but agree, as they get larger, I will likely thin the heard, and focus mainly on deepwater smoothies, at least until I figure out my next move. It's hard to make decisions while I am yet to achieve my intended vision for this project. That said, I am going to tap the brakes, and focus on what I currently have :) The Nuvo buys me some time without sacrificing any corals on my list. That said, I do feel that I have several color redundancies in the tank, that is something I totally want to avoid. Again, the Nuvo will likely be mature and full in less than a few months. My motivation is to eventually be able to offer my corals to locals, who knows where life will take me. I have learned however in the last year, that life is fragile, and short, so sometimes you just have to go for it!!!
All the best my friend :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am an acro lover at heart, my eyes keep taking me to this unique monti. This is a red/Purple grafted Montipora. Unusual streaks and color swishing patterns are quite interesting. Easier to distinguish during top downs, but what the heck :) Here is a quick photo and a couple of others from earlier today :) Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone :)

20221224_150011.jpg

20221224_150153.jpg

20221224_102849.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am an acro lover at heart, my eyes keep taking me to this unique monti. This is a red/Purple grafted Montipora. Unusual streaks and color swishing patterns are quite interesting. Easier to distinguish during top downs, but what the heck :) Here is a quick photo and a couple of others from earlier today :) Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone :)

20221224_150011.jpg

20221224_150153.jpg

20221224_102849.jpg

Looks awesome! Gotta love the Caps! I am also an Acro guy at heart but I will be putting in 4 or 5 Caps in January in the new tank.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Gotta love the Caps! I am also an Acro guy at heart but I will be putting in 4 or 5 Caps in January in the new tank.

Wish you were closer, beach bum and altered ego both woke up recently, plus a few more montis, I would love to pass to you. I love your tank brother!!! I am still on the fence about an upgrade, seeing you go all in is quite inspiring! Best wishes to you and your family!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back