Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry is the foxface eating your turf algae? I have the same and it is a PITA to deal with.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry is the foxface eating your turf algae? I have the same and it is a PITA to deal with.

Hi Tim,
Unfortunately the FF only goes after this algae after manual pruning/ removal. The idea here, is water changes, manual intervention, and running a mangrove fuge on same light schedule as DT. Eventually, my hopes, are that acros and mangroves starve out this pesky turf hair sprouts. Some easily break away, other spots are more challenging. I am dosing bacteria and carbon source to aid in filtration, as well as to get P04 to corals. My N03 was fairly high for a good spell, like 60ppm. I upgraded skimmer and have finally dialed it in. I tested a week or so ago, and saw 25ppm. So, between the mangrove fuge, larger skimmer, water changes with manual removal, I can say things are trending well. My corals are colorful, fuzzy, and showing growth at tips and base, so not overly concerned about some HAIR, lol...
All the best!
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Lighting is obviously a debated topic, and that said, here's my revised lighting schedule for Reefbreeders, a simple screen shot indicating my attempt to replicate the sun as closely as possible. I have yet to go outside of my old ways of on/off lighting, but these leds allow for precise up and down ramping, and why not mimick nature?

*2 led panels- Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 and SBReef Rolan V22- both suspended by cables, equally at 11" above water line
*Daylight Cycle- 7am- 8pm
*2% moonlight opposite of daylight, set this way as to mimick moon cycles.
*SBREEF Rolan V22-
Blue Spectrum Channel(royal blue, violet) 100% 11am-6pm on/off only
Full Spectrum Channel(lime, white,red) 25% 12pm-5pm on/off only
*Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 -screen shot of curve represented. Red peak 20%, green peak 20%, white peak 25%, cool blue peak 85%, royal blue peak 95%, violet peak 95%

Screenshot_20220717-104318_Reef Nexus.jpg

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors look great Perry especially the Pearlberry and Garf. What are your nutrients running at?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors look great Perry especially the Pearlberry and Garf. What are your nutrients running at?

Thanks Tim!
Last check, about 4 days ago, N03=25ppm and P04 =0.07
I try and keep P04 a bit higher, I am targeting 0.12 ppm. Ultimately, I would prefer N03 to be between 5ppm-10ppm
When I eventually lower, I will feel a bit more comfortable with 0.04-0.08ppm as a set point for P04.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh gotcha. I can’t get detectable no3. My last ICP said 0.034. I just want them in the 5-10 range like you stated above.
some great pictures man!

corey

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I am going to put 20 more in or so. i only have about 10-12 in there now. But I feed them a few times a day. But the plan was always to have more fish in the tank. Should be ordering the in a few weeks I believe.

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh gotcha. I can’t get detectable no3. My last ICP said 0.034. I just want them in the 5-10 range like you stated above.
some great pictures man!

corey

Thanks Corey,
You may have to scroll back, but recently I added a deep sandbed mangrove fuge to combat N03, weeks before that upgraded skimmer. This had been a "testable" issue for a couple months or more, however, corals didn't lose color or growth. I also run Aquaforest Probiotic Method using only liquid polymer c-source (NP Pro), and probiotic bacteria (Pro Bio S). Once the mangrove fuge settles in, and nutrients balance, I will likely back down on dosing, or add more fish.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, time for a couple updates. The tank is cruising along, but noticed the mangroves looking weak. So, I decided to pull them and grow red gracilaria instead. Given its a show fuge, I thought it would still look unique while helping with nutrients. N03 has dipped to around 20ppm, would still like to see it around 5ppm, but nothing to sweat over.
I also moved corals about, and raised the right side higher, so more corals easily displayed. The Greg Hiller's Aquamarine Jewel is getting so pretty, I just had to showcase :)

20220731_115609.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Mangroves can be touchy at first, fresh water misting, no leaves touching saltwater, etc... Have you thought about sea grass or halimeda? In the 90's I had a display fuge with caulerpa and two types of halimeda that was pretty cool. I do like red gracilaria though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back