Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
It's been great taking time off this week, really getting projects reef related buttoned up. The 30L nuvo is doing well, all corals including 8 acro frags seem ok, keeping a close eye on that tank. Right now, it's being lit by a hydra26 hd, eventually that will be on my 3rd tank.
I set up my little 20 gallon high as a third tank, just hang on filter, nano protein skimmer, and a small korilla nano for water movement. 3" sandbed, and this one will run very basic. Repurposed sand from a fuge project that I didn't care for. I had a 10lb chunky piece of liverock as well to kick things in gear. This will be my monti display, should be a fun project :)
As far as my display, I put the pom pom gracilaria in my sump, lit opposite dt, and tumbling. I have removed all siporax at this point, and reduced c-source dosing and bacteria dosing. I did a massive sump clean yesterday as well, since added a sock, pulled/cleaned skimmer, and am planning a 20% water change today as well. All corals are mounted on rubble, and a dt rearrangement forced as a result. All corals are spaced for future growth. A green file fish was added to combat some aptasia, fingers crossed ;)
That's about it, busy, busy, busy!!!

20220902_110341.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
A quick video showing the sump. While I believe carbon/bacteria supplements are valuable, specifically for newer systems, I am slowly backing off use. Pom pom gracilaria is beginning to pull nutrients down, although tests are just that, N03 is still 20-40ppm. P04 tested at 0.1ppm. Corraline algae is growing everywhere, so much, that I tested mg. Wow, my system is really tugging at this mineral, 1260 ppm. Not good, not alarmed, but definitely being consumed. My recent 20% water change was buffered with mg, and been dosing 100ml per day, but barely rising. Last test 3 days later was 1300ppm. I will continue until I see at least 1350ppm, then weekly. I may go ahead and automate, as I have a channel available.
Cheers,

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Hanna n03 test kit, and dang... 59.6ppm!!!!!
Tested P04 0.09ppm
Corals look fine, but somehow, my system has n03 building up, and while the skimmer appears working fine, and collecting, the pom pom gracilaria is growing, and frankly happy with P04, something is just off with nitrate. I suspect pulling siporax out is what caused this spike.
That said, I am going to just stay the course and guide the system to a more simple natural approach. My focus will be source water, regular water changes, skimming, and shelving all other supplements.
Today I placed a couple orders, one with premium aquatics, which is for a tunze hydrofoamer 9420. The other with BRS, that one for updating rodi filters, replacement meter, and membrane. Water right, that's what this hobby consists of, get that right, success follows in short order. The tunze hydrofoamer will go on my old I-tech 200 skimmer, which is a monster skimmer. These little dc pumps on modern skimmers do not come close to that of an old Euro-reef, ATB, or I-tech. This skimmer will easily handle 200 gallons of heavy stocked reef, looking forward to crushing nitrates!!!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing how much nitrate siporax can handle, maybe throw and handful back in? But if everything is fine, stay the course.

Correct, they do, but I am moving away from daily c-source dosing and bacteria dosing. Been running my systems this way for years, kind of ready to try something different :) My hopes are to stabilize ph swing by running pom pom on opposite cycle, as well as nutrient control. Next, perfect source water, and more frequent water changes. The current simplicity DC320, should do all of nutrient control, not sure why its not pulling N03 down in itself. But... I bet this puts a dent in them!!!

Skimmer next to 5 gallon tm bucket
20220912_175136.jpg

Yes, that's the skimmer cup, suffice to say, it holds a gallon of waste, lol
20220912_175247.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided that I am going to use the Rolan V22 over my Nuvo 30l, should be perfect for that tank, it will suspend from the ceiling. I was running several ideas through my head, like another Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 in its place, lighting change LED, but decided that I love t5's and miss them. So I compromised and ordered the Giesemann Stellar hybrid 4 bulb t5 unit. Best of both worlds :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided that I am going to use the Rolan V22 over my Nuvo 30l, should be perfect for that tank, it will suspend from the ceiling. I was running several ideas through my head, like another Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 in its place, lighting change LED, but decided that I love t5's and miss them. So I compromised and ordered the Giesemann Stellar hybrid 4 bulb t5 unit. Best of both worlds :)

I knew it wouldn't be long before those T5's came back. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it wouldn't be long before those T5's came back. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This will solve some shading/ low energy spots in rear corners of the tank. Plus, I had no light for the nuvo, lol, so saved me some cash :) I think the Geisemann had the best t5's and reflectors of all these hybrids, so looking for some punch here too :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
So happy to go back in time, like 2006 ish. The I-tech 200, handcrafted out of pvc, that rivaled ATB and the upper class skimmers. I have had the body collecting dust, but no more, the replacement pump, a Tunze Hydrofoamer 9420 to power this beast! A solid foam head in less than an hour. The pump also boosted ph by .1 so that's a bonus as well.
Forgive my messy sump.

20220917_104502.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back