OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, here we go, Ian is looking eerily similar to Charlie, man wish us luck down here in Florida!!! 5 full propane tanks, inverter for 12V battery, 12V battery to run a couple pumps while not running my generator. Bonus... My generator also has charging capability for 12V battery, wired alligator clips come included :)

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, here we go, Ian is looking eerily similar to Charlie, man wish us luck down here in Florida!!! 5 full propane tanks, inverter for 12V battery, 12V battery to run a couple pumps while not running my generator. Bonus... My generator also has charging capability for 12V battery, wired alligator clips come included :)
Wishing you and yours the best, brother.

It sounds like your tank will have more growth that you’ll need to post about in the days to come.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and yours the best, brother.

It sounds like your tank will have more growth that you’ll need to post about in the days to come.

Especially if I don't lose power, lol...
I haven't posted, but this happened yesterday... ;)
Now 4 t5's with the Reefbreeders Photon v2 pro :)

20220927_165413.jpg

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially if I don't lose power, lol...
I haven't posted, but this happened yesterday... ;)
Now 4 t5's with the Reefbreeders Photon v2 pro :)

20220927_165413.jpg
Nice!!

I finally strung together a battery backup using the Tunze connector. It only took multiple e-mails to Roger at Tunze and an hour+ at West Marine (which I kept calling Quality Marine). I’m happy with the end result.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
3rd generation FL native here, and all I have to say is WOW!!!
Hurricane Ian was absolutely devastating to many! I was lucky here in Lake Helen, FL. I lost power on Thursday at 12am, still out! Thankfully, my home was not harmed, we were fortunate.
My generator has been a trooper, luckily I have 5 propane tanks that were all full. 1st one lasted 20 hours. I am able to run my refrigerator, coffee maker(very important), a floor fan(huge importance), phone chargers, and wifi (not working), and tank.
I am able to run a 75 watt led blue bar, my return pump, mp40 for in tank flow, and my protein skimmer. At night I disabled the skimmer and run fuge light with cabinet open for lighting the room.
This storm was so different, moving slow, and dumping massive amounts of rain. Luckily, Lake Helen is one of the highest cities in Volusia County above sea level. I cannot say the same for family and friends in other parts of the county, some were devastated by flooding, while others had trees down on their homes. Here is a pic of a tree falling on a power line across the street only 3 neighbors away!

20220929_165733.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your generator is running solid Perry and hope you get power back soon! This is one time I will say I'm glad I didn't have my tank up yet.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your generator is running solid Perry and hope you get power back soon! This is one time I will say I'm glad I didn't have my tank up yet.

Hey Tim,
Glad you are safe! I am quite fortunate indeed, getting that generator was best decision, as was spending 4k on tree trimming a month ago, I would have been in trouble. So many I know are dealing with flooding, lucky there too. Hopefully Duke will restore power, still 33k in my area east, and 62k west. So many without. The tree knocked our area out, so as soon as I see Dukes truck a few houses down, it will be time to exhale. I justed hooked up tank #4, so should be ok until Sunday, but already looking for places open to fill the empties. I suspect many just north of you suffered complete devastation, my heart goes out to all unfortunate victims!

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay safe, Perry. I’m glad to hear you’re prepared and that, all things considered, you’re doing well.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay safe, Perry. I’m glad to hear you’re prepared and that, all things considered, you’re doing well.

Thanks Rick,
Local cell site is now strong enough to use cell phones, despite no cable or wifi internet. Nice cool front moving in, windows open, seems like a taste of fall :)
My preps paid off. My roof would have been screwed if I didn't cut away trees canopying over the house, lol. I bought the generator shortly after my jaw dropper, fwiw, lol ;)

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi all,
3rd generation FL native here, and all I have to say is WOW!!!
Hurricane Ian was absolutely devastating to many! I was lucky here in Lake Helen, FL. I lost power on Thursday at 12am, still out! Thankfully, my home was not harmed, we were fortunate.
My generator has been a trooper, luckily I have 5 propane tanks that were all full. 1st one lasted 20 hours. I am able to run my refrigerator, coffee maker(very important), a floor fan(huge importance), phone chargers, and wifi (not working), and tank.
I am able to run a 75 watt led blue bar, my return pump, mp40 for in tank flow, and my protein skimmer. At night I disabled the skimmer and run fuge light with cabinet open for lighting the room.
This storm was so different, moving slow, and dumping massive amounts of rain. Luckily, Lake Helen is one of the highest cities in Volusia County above sea level. I cannot say the same for family and friends in other parts of the county, some were devastated by flooding, while others had trees down on their homes. Here is a pic of a tree falling on a power line across the street only 3 neighbors away!

20220929_165733.jpg
Glad to hear your safe!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck in the path ahead. Great to hear your reef is running and ok. Hopefully you can get those empty tanks refilled!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck in the path ahead. Great to hear your reef is running and ok. Hopefully you can get those empty tanks refilled!

Thank you!
I have another tank lined up, so that should take me to Monday morning when local propane company opens. Will be tight, but have an inverter I can attach mp40 and run off my car as the last resort. The generator is hybrid, so can always go that route, but trying to run only propane if possible. Fingers crossed for power restoring, before plan B, or C...

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!
So happy to go back in time, like 2006 ish. The I-tech 200, handcrafted out of pvc, that rivaled ATB and the upper class skimmers. I have had the body collecting dust, but no more, the replacement pump, a Tunze Hydrofoamer 9420 to power this beast! A solid foam head in less than an hour. The pump also boosted ph by .1 so that's a bonus as well.
Forgive my messy sump.

20220917_104502.jpg

Brings me nostalgia Perry.... I remember when John and his partner (can't remember his name) were building/selling these... Was a beast of a skimmer, and I had my hands on a 200 model at one point. I'm happy you kept this one, and it's good to see you during it up.

Do you remember the iTech Beast?

Have been that way in a while - is FAOIS still around?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings me nostalgia Perry.... I remember when John and his partner (can't remember his name) were building/selling these... Was a beast of a skimmer, and I had my hands on a 200 model at one point. I'm happy you kept this one, and it's good to see you during it up.

Do you remember the iTech Beast?

Have been that way in a while - is FAOIS still around?

Hey Nate!
I saw an I-tech 400 with 2 pumps, but not this beast you speak of, lol. This skimmer absolutely ROCKS! 24/7 foam head and collecting. It requires 6-7" depth as sweet spot, simple turn of wedge pipe to dial in. I think FAOIS is still around, but not sure about their market presence, they were the place to go in the day ;)

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Nate!
I saw an I-tech 400 with 2 pumps, but not this beast you speak of, lol. This skimmer absolutely ROCKS! 24/7 foam head and collecting. It requires 6-7" depth as sweet spot, simple turn of wedge pipe to dial in. I think FAOIS is still around, but not sure about their market presence, they were the place to go in the day ;)

FYI

929BB246-1D26-4C61-B393-6B1B87B9DECD.png

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Just wanted to follow up on Hurricane Ian status as far as the reef tank goes. Today is day #4 no power! I just tapped into my 5th and last propane tank. Luckily my mom has a full one to loan, so that should get me until Monday early afternoon. Propane company opens at 8am, whoa that's close.
My internet restored yesterday evening, so communications are greatly improved. Duke Energy claims by tonight, midnight, power should be restored. Fingers crossed. They need to reset power poles and reattach power lines, good news, homes around me and street lamps were back on, I suspect my delay is the downed power line.

Observations:
I have seen no change in acros, they have less flow, and only a reefbar blue @75 watts. PE unchanged, color holding, and odly a drop of 1dkh over 3 days under minimal lighting. I do not see noticeable growth, but coralline likely is sucking up minerals. The hair algae sprouts seem to be withering, and rocks look so clean. This really has me thinking to incorporate at least a day per week running very limited lighting, that or disable t5's a day or 2 per week, giving corals and tank a rest. Hmmm.... I am very curious to see if nutrients were impacted as well, I am guessing so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back