Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow sps enthusiasts!
I have a build thread going, but prefer to dwell here with fellow stickheads ;) So, I figured after a week of the tank settling in, I would start logging pics, system details, methods, etc. I will still update my build, but likely with less frequency. So let the fun begin!

System Details:
Tank- SCA 90 Gallon PNP- 36"x24"x24"
Skimmer- Simplicity DC240
Main Pump- Tunze silence
Lighting- ATI 6 bulb T5 w/ 2x SB reefbar
Flow-MP40 & MP10

Details:
Aquaforest Reef Salt
AF Life Bio Fil- Passive- 2 liters
AF Pro Bio S- 4 drops daily
AF NP Pro- 4 drops daily
AF Build- 4 drops 3 times per week
KZ Flatworm Stop 2ml 3 times per week
KZ Coral Booster 2ml 3 times per week

Desired/Maintained Parameters:
Alk- 6.8- 7.4
Cal- 390- 420
MG- 1280- 1340
NO3- 5-10 ppm
PO4- Not currently detectable
SG- 1.025
PH- 8.1-8.3 -CO2 Scrubber Used

I currently have 9 fish, 4 pj cardinals, 1 bangai, leopard wrasse, 2 ora black clowns, and arc eye hawk. My custom screen top is still being built, so won't be adding any additional fish until it arrives.
FYI, my style of reefing is not for everyone, but I have no issues discussing with open mindedness, after all, the more successful we all are, the hobby thrives. Please always research before taking another reefers method and applying to your system, what works for me may not for you, and vice versa :)
Anyway, here we go.... Pics soon to follow!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210503_101623.jpg

20210503_101922.jpg

20210503_101853.jpg

20210503_102058.jpg

20210503_101950.jpg

20210503_102012.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still loving that Phoenix Perry! Following :)

Hey Tim, that coral is super happy right now, as are most :) In August, I will post a pic of it at a year since documenting it's return from death. Since the reboot, the corals are exploding with growth and color. I am officially chasing ph, and attribute that to weekly maintenance on the C02 scrubber. I have also, through the transfer, managed to lower n03 to 5-10. That's down from 20ppm. I attribute colors to lower nutrients under t5's. Thanks for following along :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited to see how this turns out, Perry!

Thanks for checking out the journal! I am determined to rival some of my past tanks. I absolutely love the footprint, and my single bommie design is very close to what I envisioned :)

Here's where the carbon dosing tecnique began with my 70 gallon cube in 2008-2010ish. This system was running full zeovit method:
20191215_120214.jpg

This system was my 120 gallon running Aquaforest Probiotic Method, and most definitely my most successful SPS reef tank, in terms of maturity:
IMG_7818.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man. You are hand dosing?
Ty
D
Hey , for now yes, I have a doser, but will hand dose elements as needed using ESV for 3 part. After I deplete, I am moving over to TM All For Reef. I am about to begin monitoring ph, and ordering a Milwaukee PH monitor so I can catch scrubber media depleting a bit sooner. Because I am high ph, I don't really need buffer, check out Chris Meckley from ACI, he is hot on the carbonic acid trend in aquarium, and how it builds, then frees up, pretty interesting stuff. In all my years, I never cared about ph, I now think its more important than alk ;)

Last edited:

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garvin, what's up man?
I see you are itching to get back at the sps game, lol.... Welcome back brother!!! Thanks for the compliment, hope to see you in the future :)
YES man! After moving into the new place, I feel like its time to set something up. Unfortunately, I forgot how long it takes to cycle a tank.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES man! After moving into the new place, I feel like its time to set something up. Unfortunately, I forgot how long it takes to cycle a tank.

Awesome, congrats as well, I loom forward to seeing your new system! And yes, I had a tough go for a long time with dead rock, so don't rush things, lol :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new tank. Your lighting and flow is exactly how I would run a tank with those dimensions.

The old tanks are stunning. Keep us updated.

Thank you very much!
I am good with flow, for now, but will be adding another mp40 in place of the mp10. As far as lighting, with no led supplement, I would need an 8 bulb unit, but given that the reefbar blues are 75 watts a piece, I am fairly certain that this is enough light, time will tell.
Thanks for looking over the journal :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Still managing to get frag rack emptied, and trying to find a permanent location to best serve each coral. Finding a way to contrast corals based on expected coloration and growth pattern is what I personally strive for. That said, what type of sps reefer are you?
Some hobbyists are collectors, and prefer growing corals to ultimately frag them, growing on tiles or racks. Personally, I am more concerned with aesthetics, planning a vision of color schemes, and not trying to isolate species to one zone(aka garden). The garden theory, for corals like torches, zoas, and shrooms, for example work well, but for me, I prefer to not isolate species, as diverse growth patterns, in my eyes are just as important as color contrasting, as it relates to sps.
There is really no right or wrong, just preference.
Happy Reefing :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you grow out some nice tanks!

What is that teal acro in the 120? Right front bottom.
Hi Sam, and thank you so much for the compliment! That my friend was the Exquistor Acro, it was probably the best rendition of the color teal, that my has captured in a coral. I treated as a nuisance acro, overlooking it's rarity in color, and as such, it grew like a weed, lol.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the display with frag rack emptied. Trying to make the bommie look as natural as possible. Colors and growth are good, I have a couple that are dormant, and a couple aquired rescues, I will try and get a photo of those today, so I have a starting place in their recovery :)

20210510_103009.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back