Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

That sounds like a winning recipe to me!

Hi Brandon,
Enjoying the ease of keeping this system, and am looking for a balanced natural look. Sometimes it's better to just keep things less complicated, and let the system do it's thing :)

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few random pics of the bommie today, and yes I have a aptasia plan, more focused on things getting settled. Next, adding a CBB. Already have a baby ORA File Fish, so we'll see what happens, if not, nuclear approach, lol.
20210530_095946.jpg

20210530_095832.jpg

20210530_095747.jpg
Add some peppermint shrimp if you haven’t already. They work better than anything imo. I’ve had them clear out tanks full of aptasia, even the big nasty ones.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Perry! I am thinking off adding a 6500k bulb myself. Directly in the middle. Have you tried the Giesemann 6500k?

Josh,
Haven't used this bulb since like 2006, lol, and first time with Hamilton, I think the last 6500k bulb I used back then was a GE, lol. Giesemann don't disappoint ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some peppermint shrimp if you haven’t already. They work better than anything imo. I’ve had them clear out tanks full of aptasia, even the big nasty ones.

I have used them before, maybe source some larger ones, as I don't want to give my Arc Eye Hawk an expensive treat, lol.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a live order for some sand stirring stuff, 20 Nassarius snails, a couple fighting tiger conchs, and @lemonade also 10 good size peppermint shrimp. I will feed really heavy today, then afterwards release the peppermints into the tank, maybe this will deter my arch eye, we shall see :)

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a live order for some sand stirring stuff, 20 Nassarius snails, a couple fighting tiger conchs, and @lemonade also 10 good size peppermint shrimp. I will feed really heavy today, then afterwards release the peppermints into the tank, maybe this will deter my arch eye, we shall see :)
They do a pretty good job hiding during the day, I think they are mostly nocturnal. I've rarely seen them out and about even in tanks with no real predators to them they seem to stay under rocks.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do a pretty good job hiding during the day, I think they are mostly nocturnal. I've rarely seen them out and about even in tanks with no real predators to them they seem to stay under rocks.

Yeah, everything made it, lol :)
Side note, these fighting tiger conchs are massive!!! I had to call vendor to make sure these were in fact fighting tiger conchs, lol. Peppermint shrimp all made it into the tank past the arc eye, so I will update as to the effectiveness, they were all good size, probably 1.5" each :) Now.... go hunting little fellas :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost got yourself a queen conch there Perry!

Actually got 2 Tim, lol... They are doing a fantastic job of keeping clean sand. My CUC is really an emphasis with all my tanks. I have so many various members of the crew, as I have a 20 gallon mangrove fuge that houses my back ups. This way, I can reboot occasionally by bringing them over, as the fuge has no predators, so they flourish. I have mysis, pods, stomatellas, limpets naturally reproducing, as well as within my DT. I am kinda a junkie for CUC stuff, I have already spent a few hundred on my new tank alone, lol. That's why my coral and fish budget has been lean. Today, I will be trying to purchase a CBB, as the aptasia thing between the file fish and 10 peppermints seems to be unimproved. I know this isn't really sps related, but anyone that has ever sought my advice, I usually emphasize CUC, and the need for as much micro-life available, through seeding kits, fellow reefers, whatever it takes. In turn, this enables diversity, balance, maturity, you know, 80-90% of "my sps are dying" threads. I have been lucky to have transitioned my tank over so smoothly, much to do with my rock :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cleaned and scraped, so, got to remove lid, raise lights, then try and not break a coral, so its always nice to get a fresh pic :)
Here's the Bommie today, as you can see, growth is taking off, at now 600ml per day, fully saturated kalkwasser, I am still side dosing 30ml of esv 2 part every 3 days or so to bump alk up to 6.9dkh. I am not even close to evaporation, but I don't want to bump kalkwasser more than 100ml per day, trying to do this gradually, corals are responding quite nicely, but a daily task of testing and adjusting. I prefer having the ato with only rodi, eventually I will reach the point where the doser will become ato, but a long way to go. I imagine I am evaporating 2000ml per day from the system, so at 600ml, a long way to go. Gradual is my plan.
20210607_095555.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually got 2 Tim, lol... They are doing a fantastic job of keeping clean sand. My CUC is really an emphasis with all my tanks. I have so many various members of the crew, as I have a 20 gallon mangrove fuge that houses my back ups. This way, I can reboot occasionally by bringing them over, as the fuge has no predators, so they flourish. I have mysis, pods, stomatellas, limpets naturally reproducing, as well as within my DT. I am kinda a junkie for CUC stuff, I have already spent a few hundred on my new tank alone, lol. That's why my coral and fish budget has been lean. Today, I will be trying to purchase a CBB, as the aptasia thing between the file fish and 10 peppermints seems to be unimproved. I know this isn't really sps related, but anyone that has ever sought my advice, I usually emphasize CUC, and the need for as much micro-life available, through seeding kits, fellow reefers, whatever it takes. In turn, this enables diversity, balance, maturity, you know, 80-90% of "my sps are dying" threads. I have been lucky to have transitioned my tank over so smoothly, much to do with my rock :)
Cheers
Great advice for sure. How do you like the limpets? That's one thing I've never had. I usually stick to tuxedo urchins, turbo snails, and trochus snails (and of course stomatellas if I'm lucky enough to get some hitchhikers).

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice for sure. How do you like the limpets? That's one thing I've never had. I usually stick to tuxedo urchins, turbo snails, and trochus snails (and of course stomatellas if I'm lucky enough to get some hitchhikers).

Hi Tim,
Limpets typically come in via hitchhikers, but I did oder a dozen or so awhile back. Like stomatellas, they seem to reproduce at certain times in larger numbers, mostly nocturnal, so usually seen at first light. Apparently my tank is processing nutrients more efficiently than I would prefer, but the skimmer is tied into the C02 scrubber, so a necessary, that said, I throttled back, and am skimming more on the dry side. I still cannot believe that 12, well fed fish is not allowing me sustainable nutrient levels, as I still am dosing both nitrate and phosphate daily. Life on the reef!
Cheers

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Still managing to get frag rack emptied, and trying to find a permanent location to best serve each coral. Finding a way to contrast corals based on expected coloration and growth pattern is what I personally strive for. That said, what type of sps reefer are you?
Some hobbyists are collectors, and prefer growing corals to ultimately frag them, growing on tiles or racks. Personally, I am more concerned with aesthetics, planning a vision of color schemes, and not trying to isolate species to one zone(aka garden). The garden theory, for corals like torches, zoas, and shrooms, for example work well, but for me, I prefer to not isolate species, as diverse growth patterns, in my eyes are just as important as color contrasting, as it relates to sps.
There is really no right or wrong, just preference.
Happy Reefing :)

Very well put, I have the same philosophy. Gorgeous tank Perry, this time next year it should really be spectacular.

Have you posted your bulb combo? Not many running the 6500k. I'm running

1x actinic
4x blue+
1x aquablue special
1x GE 6500k

I like the overall tank color but my corals could be more colorful. I should probably add some LED supplements like you have.

Regards,
Jordan

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well put, I have the same philosophy. Gorgeous tank Perry, this time next year it should really be spectacular.

Have you posted your bulb combo? Not many running the 6500k. I'm running

1x actinic
4x blue+
1x aquablue special
1x GE 6500k

I like the overall tank color but my corals could be more colorful. I should probably add some LED supplements like you have.

Regards,
Jordan

Hey Jordan,
I recently pulled the 6500k bulb, temporarily, to limit white light, going through some nasties right now. Corals look great, jusy some funk from the transfer. My current combo is 3xblue+, and 3xcoral plus. In a couple months or so, I will, after lots of thought, convert to the following.
2xABS
2xBlue+
1xCoral+
1xham 6500k
This will cover all spectrums nicely, it will be quite white, but the sb reefbar blue x2 adds all that is needed in the blue and UV wavelength. The ATI actinic plus is kinda weak, ime, so I get that spectrum in reefbars. You should consider the addition of led blue syrips, reefbars, etc, it really makes things pop, even during full spectrum.
Cheers!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jordan,
I recently pulled the 6500k bulb, temporarily, to limit white light, going through some nasties right now. Corals look great, jusy some funk from the transfer. My current combo is 3xblue+, and 3xcoral plus. In a couple months or so, I will, after lots of thought, convert to the following.
2xABS
2xBlue+
1xCoral+
1xham 6500k
This will cover all spectrums nicely, it will be quite white, but the sb reefbar blue x2 adds all that is needed in the blue and UV wavelength. The ATI actinic plus is kinda weak, ime, so I get that spectrum in reefbars. You should consider the addition of led blue syrips, reefbars, etc, it really makes things pop, even during full spectrum.
Cheers!

I agree that will be very white. I personally like a 10k-14k look so I think it'll look great. My experience has been the same with the ATI actinic. It helped coral color somewhat but it's pretty weak. I need to find an aesthetically pleasing way to mount some led bars but haven't gotten around to it.

Appreciate the info, best of luck fighting off those nasties.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back