OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that will be very white. I personally like a 10k-14k look so I think it'll look great. My experience has been the same with the ATI actinic. It helped coral color somewhat but it's pretty weak. I need to find an aesthetically pleasing way to mount some led bars but haven't gotten around to it.

Appreciate the info, best of luck fighting off those nasties.

Hey Jordan,
I chose SB Reefbar blue on either side of my fixture, the mounting is pretty easy, nothing extra required :) Yes, the white full spectrum is a coral grower, but achieving color, that's the real deal. No hiding in the blue spectrum, lol. This light spectrum will truly show whether your corals are colorful or not... I do appreciate looking at my corals under blue leds, especially after a hard days work of soaking in that bright white light. Thanks for looking over the journal and posting your comments and thoughts :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, this build thread totally flew under my radar. Tells you how busy I've been with work. Tank is looking great Perry! Congrats!

Welcome John!!!
Hope all is well :)
I need another year of growth, lol, but at least I am not starting with nubs in this tank, most of my corals are mini-colonies, or colonies, by todays standards, lol :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "Rising Phoenix" update:
As a refresher to this piece, in July last year 2020, finally, after a year of my previous tank being wet, sps didn't perish. So during a re-scape, I found a throw away piece in the tank, and placed it where it could get light, it actually had a few polyps and some tissue. Here it was in August.
20200809_115643.jpg

Now here it is as of yesterday, @ScottB for the credit of naming :)
20210628_111512.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "Rising Phoenix" update:
As a refresher to this piece, in July last year 2020, finally, after a year of my previous tank being wet, sps didn't perish. So during a re-scape, I found a throw away piece in the tank, and placed it where it could get light, it actually had a few polyps and some tissue. Here it was in August.
20200809_115643.jpg

Now here it is as of yesterday, @ScottB for the credit of naming :)
20210628_111512.jpg
And years later, hobbyists will just refer to it as "PRP" alongside WD, HW, SCOP...

I'm still not sure what made you take a picture of that dead turd, but glad you did. Hard to believe they are the same coral.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And years later, hobbyists will just refer to it as "PRP" alongside WD, HW, SCOP...

I'm still not sure what made you take a picture of that dead turd, but glad you did. Hard to believe they are the same coral.
Thanks Scott, the story and documentation makes it s special coral indeed :) I actually photographed it monthly, for progression, I will probably drop a photo for each month of documentation in August, at the 1 year mark. If you are ever near me on travel/vacation, I will give you a cut. Hopefully some thinner branches though, my bone cutters would lose that battle, lol :)
Cheers

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott, the story and documentation makes it s special coral indeed :) I actually photographed it monthly, for progression, I will probably drop a photo for each month of documentation in August, at the 1 year mark. If you are ever near me on travel/vacation, I will give you a cut. Hopefully some thinner branches though, my bone cutters would lose that battle, lol :)
Cheers
Thanks Perry. I was last in Orlando for MACNA 2019 coincidentally. Will give you a holler next time I come through.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
One of my favorites, Lulu's Blue Milli, has really been developing at a nice pace. To me, a blue milli is a must have piece in any sps system, as the baby blue gives contrast to traditional blue colored acros. The growth pattern also makes this one special. Times flies, and acros grow, at least that's the plan :)
Here she is back in February, the split branches just showing splitting nodules.
20210207_121752.jpg

Here is what's happened in roughly 5 month's ;)
20210628_111642.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are looking good!

Hey Eric,
Thanks for checking out the journal and for the kind words! Good to see you still around in the hobby. Still remember your user name after at least 15 years, lol, from the dinosaur site ;) Mine was plyle02 back in the day :)
Cheers

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eric,
Thanks for checking out the journal and for the kind words! Good to see you still around in the hobby. Still remember your user name after at least 15 years, lol, from the dinosaur site ;) Mine was plyle02 back in the day :)
Cheers
I remember! All this time in the hobby, you’d think that I would have a wall to wall sps tank lol. Glad to see at least one of us knows what they’re doing

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry this looks like the Palmers Blue Milli. Where’d you get this piece? I’ve been looking for some blue millis

I got this piece from a buddy of mine, he no longer is in the hobby. I also think Palmers, but not verifiable lineage, so I named it instead. This piece looks so good in person, such a different blue :) I have not cut this one yet, but will probably do so later this summer.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update how I am running my tank, as I have switched gears a couple times. #1, I have stopped dosing everything but foods, reef roids and oyster eggs. #2, I am now running a UV sterilizer, this to reset bacteria, and slowly kill some nasties, 90% clear. #3, added a fuge in middle compartment of sump with rubble, and Caluerpa Mexicana, no sand. #4, skimmer set to dry skim.
Furure plans:
Convert ato to fully saturated kalk, using a peralstatic pump. This, the fuge, and pulling fresh air as to elevate ph.
I am very much considering the kessil a500x, but think I would need 2, despite 36"x36" claims. I am really considering the switch, and if not kessil, perhaps AI is next choice. That would likely be 2x hydra 64's. This is just a thought right now, and would likely be Decemberish.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update how I am running my tank, as I have switched gears a couple times. #1, I have stopped dosing everything but foods, reef roids and oyster eggs. #2, I am now running a UV sterilizer, this to reset bacteria, and slowly kill some nasties, 90% clear. #3, added a fuge in middle compartment of sump with rubble, and Caluerpa Mexicana, no sand. #4, skimmer set to dry skim.
Furure plans:
Convert ato to fully saturated kalk, using a peralstatic pump. This, the fuge, and pulling fresh air as to elevate ph.
I am very much considering the kessil a500x, but think I would need 2, despite 36"x36" claims. I am really considering the switch, and if not kessil, perhaps AI is next choice. That would likely be 2x hydra 64's. This is just a thought right now, and would likely be Decemberish.
I went with these for my new add on I’m building
9D3FE585-ED49-4A4C-B972-AC141C53D3BC.jpeg
E59E9E13-605E-4247-B673-B21F465F0034.jpeg

At 60% power I was measuring almost 600 par on the bottom of that tank with no water in it. Another nice feature is there is no blinding glare when you look up at them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back