Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with these for my new add on I’m building
9D3FE585-ED49-4A4C-B972-AC141C53D3BC.jpeg
E59E9E13-605E-4247-B673-B21F465F0034.jpeg

At 60% power I was measuring almost 600 par on the bottom of that tank with no water in it. Another nice feature is there is no blinding glare when you look up at them.

New tank? How many for a 36"x24"x24? The price looks good :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m adding a shallow 34g grow out system to my main tank.
You might be able to get away with 2 for your tank. I’ll be setting this up soon and will let you know the par numbers.

Nice, look forward to seeing the new addition. I am in no hurry, heck, by the time I am ready, will probably be more options. T5's are growing my corals well, so I am not wanting to disrupt, probably 6 months or so I will make a switch. Please do share feedback and par mapping.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just purchased the Kessil a500x to be main light source for the Bommie, I will continue to use my 2 sbreefbars on front and back, with Kessil in center. The claim is 36"x36" so I only need it to cover 30"x24
More to come :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil up and running, and WOW!
@60% Intensity, 10" mounting height, and 30% peak color, I am pleasantly surprised how much light is covering the tank. I am using 2 reefbar blue led's on either side, so still more blue than I prefer, but a must for shading. I would not do stand alone. I will be increasing the color gradually, until I am close to my original color with t5's.
More to follow :)

AcroFan144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why are you changing from T5 to LED? It looks like you were having amazing results running T5.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why are you changing from T5 to LED? It looks like you were having amazing results running T5.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I have been using t5's forever, since 2006. While the results are great, I am wanting to streamline aesthetics. The fan is loud, it gets annoying, especially being in the main living area. The temperature is another factor, as I live in FL. I believe that I will be able to get similar par, and spread, since the structure being lit for acros is only 30"x20". I have wanted to go this route for awhile, just been waiting for the right light for my purpose, the Kessil was my choice, as it mimicks a 250+ watt halide. Time will tell, but at only 60%, and 30% color, with the led bars, visually close to the intensity of t5 unit. Will get some pics soon :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the Kessil/led bar combo! It’s been my light combo for the past 5-6 years. I was really considering going with four 500x’s mounted high with either 55 or 35 degree lenses, but couldn’t really justify the cost at the moment. I think 30% to 50% color is the sweet spot with Kessil’s, especially with LED bars providing the blue fill light. You’ll notice the blues will start to come out of your acropora in short order.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Kessil/led bar combo! It’s been my light combo for the past 5-6 years. I was really considering going with four 500x’s mounted high with either 55 or 35 degree lenses, but couldn’t really justify the cost at the moment. I think 30% to 50% color is the sweet spot with Kessil’s, especially with LED bars providing the blue fill light. You’ll notice the blues will start to come out of your acropora in short order.

Hey John,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the vote of confidence, while being a sceptic, for many years, I believe you are right, this combo certainly gets the coverage. @85 watts a piece on the reef bars, and 185 watts on kessil, there shouldn't be a problem getting acros all the light they need. The Kessil is at 10", for this, I am scared at 60% intensity, so I lowered to 55%, and will bump by 5% every few days. I also believe that 30% color with reefbars is too blue, so I will slowly ramp to 50% color. Decided ti hand dose ESV until I reach lighting goals, then back to automating on doser. Not wanting to take any chances and burn corals. My top corals are only 10" below surface, so patience is key here :)
Cheers,

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting any shading at all with a single a500x? That was my biggest concern.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting any shading at all with a single a500x? That was my biggest concern.

I do not think it would be sufficient for my needs without the 2 85 watt reef bars on either side. They fill the shading gaps, and provide light where shadows would occur. I am only at 60% intensity however, actually lowered to 55%. My reef design, being a bommie, is also easier to light. That said, at 70% intensity and 40% color, I will likely be at similar viewing as t5 unit, it puts out serious light. I am taking it SLOW :)

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Perry. I have 2 160we's on my 30x12x12 acro tank, 6in off the water, and they grow/color sps really well. You can also burn them very easily, so ramp slowly. I run at 60% Int and 25% color at my peak and I use the kessil controller, I actually like it lol. Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Perry. I have 2 160we's on my 30x12x12 acro tank, 6in off the water, and they grow/color sps really well. You can also burn them very easily, so ramp slowly. I run at 60% Int and 25% color at my peak and I use the kessil controller, I actually like it lol. Cheers

Thank you for the kind words!
I also like the controller, so easy to use :) Thanks for the heads up, I am taking things slowly, even went offline with 2 part and will make daily corrections until I match previous usage as I did with t5 setup. @30% color, with 2 blue reef bars, its way too blue for me, so I will acclimate with color from my original setpoint, then begin slowly increasing intensity. At least that's the plan :)
Cheers

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry you should check out that Fan module I got from Harry. Keeps the temp down for the ATI :)

But I understand aesthetics are also important

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words!
I also like the controller, so easy to use :) Thanks for the heads up, I am taking things slowly, even went offline with 2 part and will make daily corrections until I match previous usage as I did with t5 setup. @30% color, with 2 blue reef bars, its way too blue for me, so I will acclimate with color from my original setpoint, then begin slowly increasing intensity. At least that's the plan :)
Cheers
hey perrry, I also have a 3ft reef tank. mine is a mixed reef with lps and sps. how high do you run ph. ive found that after I go over the 8.33 mark I see a declilne in alk consumption based off my triton testing.. what ph have you found to be best in terms of sps growth?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey perrry, I also have a 3ft reef tank. mine is a mixed reef with lps and sps. how high do you run ph. ive found that after I go over the 8.33 mark I see a declilne in alk consumption based off my triton testing.. what ph have you found to be best in terms of sps growth?
Hello,
To be fair, this current system is the only one, in 16 years of sps, that I tested or measured ph. 8.33 is a great number, I peak at 8.2, but family of 4, smaller home, in Florida, ahhhhh, I digress. I have been trying to reach 8.3, but through my efforts, still not there. That said, as long as I am 7ish on alk, I can't get too upset with ph. I like a lower alk, that to me is where I see "my" best results for acro growth and color. It's a more forgiving number with lowered nutrients. My system runs inherently low for "tested" nutrients, but my throughput is heavy, heavy in, heavy out. I am still chasing ph, fuge lit opposite cycle, drawing fresh air to my skimmer, dripping kalkwasser, and still not at the 8.3 number, so if you are there, kudos, sustain and keep alk stable to nutrient levels, higher alk with higher nutrients, and vice-versa. I would focus more on consistent feeding/ throughput and consistent alk and temp. To me, in this, ph sort of falls where it may :)
Cheers,

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
To be fair, this current system is the only one, in 16 years of sps, that I tested or measured ph. 8.33 is a great number, I peak at 8.2, but family of 4, smaller home, in Florida, ahhhhh, I digress. I have been trying to reach 8.3, but through my efforts, still not there. That said, as long as I am 7ish on alk, I can't get too upset with ph. I like a lower alk, that to me is where I see "my" best results for acro growth and color. It's a more forgiving number with lowered nutrients. My system runs inherently low for "tested" nutrients, but my throughput is heavy, heavy in, heavy out. I am still chasing ph, fuge lit opposite cycle, drawing fresh air to my skimmer, dripping kalkwasser, and still not at the 8.3 number, so if you are there, kudos, sustain and keep alk stable to nutrient levels, higher alk with higher nutrients, and vice-versa. I would focus more on consistent feeding/ throughput and consistent alk and temp. To me, in this, ph sort of falls where it may :)
Cheers,
I agree perry, I seen a large amount of growth and alk consumption when I got the ph scrubber and set up the recirculate method. I went from 8.2 to 8.4 daily. there is a large amount of growth being left behind with ppl at the 8.1 range. at 8.3 I literally doubled my alk consumption per day.. im still testing and trying to figure out why I drop alk consumption if I go over 8.4 some ppl ive read having great results at 8.5, either way im happy with my system. im trying to get my hands on a par meter now so I can figure out what kind of par im giving my sps with this new Neptune sky light.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back