Perry's Nuvo 30l Acro Dominant

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My name is Perry, I have a 90 gallon acro dominant tank that is cruising along. Being an acro junkie for 16+ years, I realized that I needed to back up some of my rarer, higher end acros, to create redundancy. I was able to pick up the setup, 2nd hand a few months back. Everything needed to get started was included :) This tank will have 3 small islands for higher light demanding acros, and I will place several different deepwater smoothies throughout. This tank will ultimately be deepwater smoothie dominant. Thanks for following along. I will be using a bacteria driven method on this system to keep stable nutrients.

*Nuvo 30l with aluminum APS stand
*mighty jet return
*skimmer with sicce shark pump
*2 sicce x stream flow pumps
*SBREEF Rolan V22 for lighting (180 watts)
*ink bird temp controller with titanium heater
*float switch with brs 50ml/min ato pump, with kalkwasser

Added some sand in last night, looking cloudy, but s pic for reference :)
20221016_175350.jpg

My 90 gallon system, I have 57 acros to choose from, lol ;)

20220904_215441.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool!
How long do you wait until first acros will be introduced?
cant wait to see it :)

I could probably go ahead and move forward with hardier acros. The rock is about 12lbs total, it's Real Reef Rock, which I broke into 3 pieces. Its been wet for over a year, and sand is cycled and wet for 6 months. This tank has also been wet with the rock and sand in it for almost 3 months as well. I have a 3rd tank where I put various rock pieces, and holds sand and macro algae for now. That all being said, it's cycled, but more importantly, mature. Good news is that I have acros cut, healed, and growing, lol. I am going to begin moving pieces over in a couple of weeks, just want to get the light cycle broken in, as well as adding some fish. I am thinking only nano fish, fire fish are top of my list :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a bit of an update:
I decided to transistion this tank into a mangrove lagoon, still using landscape for high end back up acros from my Display tank. So from the left side of the tank, the sand is built to a 6"depth. I used rock to reinforce the sandbar. The mangroves will be placed there, and the sand tapers, sloping, to around 1.5" on rifht side. Luckily I had a nice chunk of rock cooking in the sump, it's around 8lbs, and very mature, so no cycle. I will probably begin adding corals, sometime early in the new year.
I have a peppermint shrimp, small neon wrasse, and a Hector's goby that were recently added. It's really nice having a blank canvas to work with. Here's how it turned out :)

IMG_20221123_184420_739.jpg

Last edited:

william Lutman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could probably go ahead and move forward with hardier acros. The rock is about 12lbs total, it's Real Reef Rock, which I broke into 3 pieces. Its been wet for over a year, and sand is cycled and wet for 6 months. This tank has also been wet with the rock and sand in it for almost 3 months as well. I have a 3rd tank where I put various rock pieces, and holds sand and macro algae for now. That all being said, it's cycled, but more importantly, mature. Good news is that I have acros cut, healed, and growing, lol. I am going to begin moving pieces over in a couple of weeks, just want to get the light cycle broken in, as well as adding some fish. I am thinking only nano fish, fire fish are top of my list :)
What do you consider hardy?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you consider hardy?

Hi William,
Corals that have had several years of success in aquaculture tend to be more hardy. Everything in my current 90 gallon display is aquacultured, and likely, I will move millis over 1st. I consider smooth skin acros to be the most tricky, so I want to make sure the millis get going before even cutting any of my smoothies. This tank is going to ultimately home my most high-end/rare stuff. Redundancy is the effort, but in the form of a unique display. I have around 10 different millis and 15 or more deepwater smoothies, so likely 25 to 30 corals will be homed in the nuvo. This of course could always change, but that's the general goal.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
The tank project has finally taken form. The decision was made mainly due to my 90 gallon sps tank has grown in. I removed several colonies from the display, as well as several of my collectible back up frags from colonies.
I updated the lighting to allow for a shallow high energy acro dominant, using 6 t5's and a sbreefbar blue on the front angled in. This works nicely to keep the spill off the front.
It's suffice to say that the tank filled quickly, and I now gave a full blown acro reef. Later today I will be adding a couple fish as the neon wrasse has been lonely :)
Pics to follow later :)

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s looking good Perry! I just downsized from my 65gallon Red Sea and bought a Fusion 40 AIO.
Can’t wait to watch yours grow in over time!

Back