Pest and Pestilence: What the WORST you have ever faced in your reefing career?

What's worse, a PEST or PESTILENCE? Yes I know it's the same word...

• PESTS: something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc.

Votes: 108 36.9%
  • PESTILENCE: a type of algae or dino outbreak etc.

Votes: 168 57.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 5.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about our most favorite subject in this hobby, Pest and Pestilences....NOT! Well they're not our favorite subject but we will be talking about them. And YES I know that pest and pestilence are the same thing but for the sake of differentiating between certain pests let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc! Deal? Let's talk about it!

"let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc."

What's the worst PEST you've had to deal with in your reef aquarium?

What's the worst PESTILENCE you've had to overcome in your aquarium?

3ft bobbit worm image via @Blue Seas Aquariums
image.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about our most favorite subject in this hobby, Pest and Pestilences....NOT! Well they're not our favorite subject but we will be talking about them. And YES I know that pest and pestilence are the same thing but for the sake of differentiating between certain pests let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc! Deal? Let's talk about it!

"let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc."

What's the worst PEST you've had to deal with in your reef aquarium?

What's the worst PESTILENCE you've had to overcome in your aquarium?

3ft bobbit worm image via @Blue Seas Aquariums
image.jpg
I was fighting both at the same time! I got a nasty case of bryopsis and Monti Eating Nudis at the same time! The bryopsis was getting so bad I finally used Flux RX, but even that only kept it down... I finally figured out that there was a magnet glass scraper leaching and rusting in my tank and as soon as I removed that the bryopsis disappeared in 3 days. The damage had been done already though and I lost several of my corals. Once the bryopsis was gone I realized why I was losing my montis... Monti Eating Nudis.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet to have anything awful though I do have a bit of cyano at the moment.

Funny story. I got 2 shipments from a well known coral site. The first one had Aiptasia hitchhiking which gave me a slight infestation. The second order came with hitchhiking berghia. I no longer have aiptasia.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that pestilence are fairly easy to deal with now days and often a imbalance between CNP, no3 and po4 availability (organic Vs inorganic nutrients) as far as pests I think I’ve dealt with most with the exception of afew a natural predator always have been my personal choice for pest.

Last edited:

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for a long time and have battled most everything at one time or another but colonial hydroids are the only thing I could not get under control and ended up tearing down the tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through a aiptasia outbreak currently and it’s the worst outbreak in my tank that I’ve had. Everything I’ve tried to kill them just spreads them.
The only issue I’ve had that was even close was Dinos and they were easier to beat than aiptasia.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I had multiple Drs. Mis-diagnose me, wonder they didn’t kill me, by dropping my Potassium, Magnesium and Electrolytes to off scale. Lost two Banggai Cardinals in my Quarantine tank, due to lack of feeding. Saved one. Aquariums are a mess, will have to start over on my Frag. Tank. Except for making RO/DI water, aquariums went unattended for Five Weeks.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through a aiptasia outbreak currently and it’s the worst outbreak in my tank that I’ve had. Everything I’ve tried to kill them just spreads them.
The only issue I’ve had that was even close was Dinos and they were easier to beat than aiptasia.
Have you tried a CB butterfly?

Pepermint shrimp work great. just need to get the “real” ones and over stock them

Back