Pest free live rock for sale?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, I remember there was a company selling a small amount of tested pest free live rock, does anyone know who that is? I remember it was like a lb max. I think they also did ICP tests or something to that effect.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If searching for live rock go with KP, gulfliverock.com or Tampa. The diversity that comes with it far outweigh any pest that may come with it.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't believe there is such a thing. The only live rock that is pest free is dry rock that has been aged with bacteria in tub with nothing else added.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all. I already have an aquascape of dry (tropic eden) rock that I like. I just want a good way to add some diversity before I start adding corals. I have a very sterile bare bottom tank and its about 3 months old and I havent really gotten any algae other than a little dusting on the glass. My fear is when I start adding corals its going to turn to crap real quick haha.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I already have an aquascape of dry (tropic eden) rock that I like. I just want a good way to add some diversity before I start adding corals. I have a very sterile bare bottom tank and its about 3 months old and I havent really gotten any algae other than a little dusting on the glass. My fear is when I start adding corals its going to turn to crap real quick haha.
My algae / ugly phase didn't even get started until around month 6.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
TSA sells seeded biomedia, but it is also out of stock. you can sign up for notification like aquabiomics.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I bet my UV is offsetting it a little bit. Did you already have corals at that point?
A few that I don't think made it and the GSP that I wish would have went with them. Lost a few nems in the first 9 months also.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that this helps you, but I recently added some of that Tropic Eden rock to my already established tank. I really like that rock. My tank is already established, so I don't really need any more LIVE rock and I certainly don't want any pests that come with live rock, so I added some Tropic Eden rock to my tank instead.
Nice stuff! looks great and is pest free.

If you are adding corals, you will get bio-diversity via what comes on those corals/frags.

Or you can add any number of bottled bacteria products, but there is no guarantee that any of that will help anything. or go with a small amount of live rock and hope there isn't any pests on it.

biodiversity will come to your tank no matter what... just takes a little time.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back