Pest ID please

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Had 3 of these in my tank so managed to pull them out….. thought I got them all but found another 3…. Can someone please id it…..
Link to video bellow, they can stretch very long, only about 0.5mm in diameter……Last part of video you can see it retract….

Singular worms

thanks

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. That is a very quick worm. And is staying in the rock work. Now, the worm you captured, was it from the same burrow?
Ye these are staying in the rock work….. Same side of tank but different worms….. saw 3 of them { full body } other night…. Just look like string…. When they are out of the tank and not stretched out they are very slightly brown in colour….

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times they come fully out of the rock and mover around on top…. Other times they are zig zagged through different holes within the rock

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some times they come fully out of the rock and mover around on top…. Other times they are zig zagged through different holes within the rock
I really don't know what they are. They have a 2 tone body that I never seen before. The banded portion reminded me of cirratulid worms. But, since they move around out of the rock at night, that is a no go.

Do you ever see them on the coral? I think it is probably just a detritus type worm. I can't say for sure.

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know what they are. They have a 2 tone body that I never seen before. The banded portion reminded me of cirratulid worms. But, since they move around out of the rock at night, that is a no go.

Do you ever see them on the coral? I think it is probably just a detritus type worm. I can't say for sure.
No never seen on a coral, they just roam around the same lump of rock

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only thing it reminds me of is a spaghetti (cirratulid) worm with an arm out of 2 openings of the rock. They have over 5 arms that can reach a very long distance. You said they came out full body at night, I would just remove them if that is the case. It looks very small and not interested in coral or your fish. It behaves like spaghetti worms.

I am clueless.

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing it reminds me of is a spaghetti (cirratulid) worm with an arm out of 2 openings of the rock. They have over 5 arms that can reach a very long distance. You said they came out full body at night, I would just remove them if that is the case. It looks very small and not interested in coral or your fish. It behaves like spaghetti worms.

I am clueless.
Ye can see head to tail most times…. I’ll carry on removing just a pain as they are fast and as soon as you grip them, they manage to pull out of your fingers most times….. got to quickly pull them….. Thanks for you help anyway, much appreciated.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had issues with unknown worms before, the fact they move so quick is alarming. I hear people say bristle worms move fast. Mine must be slow. I can grab any visible bristle worm with tweezers. I had eunice worms, they move extremely quick.

I would be safe and toss them.

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with unknown worms before, the fact they move so quick is alarming. I hear people say bristle worms move fast. Mine must be slow. I can grab any visible bristle worm with tweezers. I had eunice worms, they move extremely quick.

I would be safe and toss them.
Will do, pulled 3 out within an hour….. this time 0 in 2 days…. Using latex gloves this time so they can’t pull out….. just trying not to snap them and lose both halves

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to retract everything I said, at the end of the video, it is evident to be a spaghetti worm. The way it lifts off the rock and retracts into the hole, just tells me those are tentacles. They can be in the rock and have tentacles in every direction. Most worms wont sling off the rock and retract. Not even eunicids.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this post you made, just looks like a spaghetti worm tentacle. And they move fast. I seen my cbb try to slurp them down.

OP
OP
IIDRYWATERII

IIDRYWATERII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of one. If they look alike, I would leave them be.

Any I’d on this under microscope? And when I get worm out tonight I’ll get that under microscope to help id

E646A137-9F75-4230-9D52-C08634985934.jpeg C97D8A72-7346-4D50-9DEB-5CC518CC2B16.jpeg A2E886CF-8D63-49AE-81AF-B56D47FF1AA6.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back