Pest or algae?? Please help!

kourtnee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this montipora coral, and a birdsnest, which was a beautiful fluorescent green when I received it.
when I first received it, and placed it in my tank they both looked really good, about 3 days in I noticed these tiny bubble type holes around the edges, almost underneath of the monti and the birdsnest started to bleach, being new to corals in general I figured I'd wait it out a couple of days, a week In and the holes have multiplied and now there is holes growing on the top with what looks to be tentacles coming out. And the birdsnest is bleached entirely with 2 noticeable black holes that are growing on one side!
I did some research and read that it could be a pest, so I dipped it lastnight, before dipping I took a good look under the light and I also saw what appears to be tube like things way underneath where I am unable to get to with my fingers, I also brushed the top off a little bit to get the stuff off from the top, today it is back again.
the coral has turned a little brown since, but there seems to be some growth.
is there a pest inside the coral??
And what should I do next?
thanks for the help!!

1FDC0770-81FC-40DE-82EF-D40D3D8AF1DC.jpeg 985AA2AB-033F-48D1-9423-BA9086534DBA.jpeg F4D72F32-9060-48AB-AC1C-673A766DD207.jpeg

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a photo under white light with the problem showing, then post our parameters (nitrates, phos., salinity, PH, etc.) then where it is in context in the tank, light, etc.

OP
OP
kourtnee

kourtnee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a photo under white light with the problem showing, then post our parameters (nitrates, phos., salinity, PH, etc.) then where it is in context in the tank, light, etc.
Thank you for your response! I'm just seeing it, basically the coral got much worst throughout several days, when I finally decided to pull it out of the tank, almost all of the skeleton was deteriorated with tiny holes all over it, I also pulled a long type worm out, it looked to be red and very skinny! I'm not sure if it was small, or if it broke while I was pulling it out. :(
Very discouraging.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sps coral bleaches which yours look like it has in that third pic above,then where the polyps used to be will be holes so maybe this is what your seeing.
I know I bought a green slimer and got 2 places at end of a couple of branches and each had 2 tentacles sticking out where once was a polyp and I believe 2 spiniod worms took residence, I know you mention tentacles sticking our,just mentioning mine did as slowly mine lost its green colour and browned out and now near enough dead,whether thats from tje spionid worms or a youngish tank or what idk.
You mention a red worm,without any pictures I think others will struggle to id the worm,as could be baby bristle worms that going inside the holes or be one of hundreds/if not thousands off possible worms as you probably aware.
But from what I read sps corals doing well keep their vibrant colours if all in check but if something wrong they often brown out as they start declining.

I know one off my torches before finally fully given up and dying turnt a brilliant brightest green I ever seen and now know this was a sign that the zooanthelli algae inside the torch was being expelled ( or believe so) you mention yours was bright green also ,maybe this was first clue / sign it on way out idk.

Can't make out what your showing in first 2 pictures ?

Think bit more Info and outline what you on about in pictures and list off parameters and if these parameters are stable, lights used and full tank shot and age of tanks.any leather coral in tank as these can release toxins to stunt/hinder growth apparently ( some say only if another coral touches the leather but others say even if dont as its in water and running activated carbon helps)
Even list of fish /livestock in tank as certain fish nip/ eat sps corals then there's stuff like have you seen little black bugs or monti eating nudis (men)
So as much info as you can will enable the more experienced reefera to help you ( I'm only 15 months into reef keeping so I'm not that experienced but thought suggest to you about giving more Info,I know we can often think well I only want know one simple answer but sometimes the answer can be very complicated.
Anyway good luck getting to bottom off it .
It maybe just ne you have a new tank and your tank not stable enough yet to keep very sensitive sps corals yet ( don't know how old your tank is and if your parameters are stable but just a guess )

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back