Pests are the best part of this hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been very overwhelmed with setting up a coral qt and I got to thinking— maybe the possibility of pests isn’t such a bad thing?

Having the perfect “pest-free” tank with 100% assurance feels a bit....sterile. In a sick way, I kind of enjoy the slight possibility. Pest prevention practices should always be implemented of course, but the certainty takes a bit of fun away from me I guess.

What do you guys think? Please watch before you maul me! I promise it makes a bit of sense ;Facepalm

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hitch hiker that came on my live rock that I QT for 4 weeks back in Jan. It must have been born during that time. It a mantas shrimp. I saw it for the first time yesterday. Had been hearing faint clicks and have now gotten louder as weeks past. Not happy about this. I don't have a cleanup crew except for a tux urchin. My Helfrichi Firefish, and McCoske Wrasse are gone within the same week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hitch hiker that came on my live rock that I QT for 4 weeks. It must have been born during that time. It a mantas shrimp. I saw it for the first time yesterday. Had been hearing faint clicks and have now gotten louder as weeks past. Not happy about this. I don't have a cleanup crew except for a tux urchin. My Helfrichi Firefish, and McCoske Wrasse are gone within the same week.
Jeez, that sure is one surprise. I’m sorry to hear about the losses. QT is never perfect either, danged if you do danged if you don’t ..

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been very overwhelmed with setting up a coral qt and I got to thinking— maybe the possibility of pests isn’t such a bad thing?

Having the perfect “pest-free” tank with 100% assurance feels a bit....sterile. In a sick way, I kind of enjoy the slight possibility. Pest prevention practices should always be implemented of course, but the certainty takes a bit of fun away from me I guess.

What do you guys think? Please watch before you maul me! I promise it makes a bit of sense ;Facepalm

haha thanks for the chuckle

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember being excited when parasitic flatworms were feeding on my hippo tang and clownfish. Actually no it’s the worst part.
I meant this video/post to be a lighthearted thing and I didn’t intend to offend. I just meant that excessive coral quarantine (microscope, etc.) isn’t always necessary when you follow a strict protocol of dip/inspect. I very much so believe that doesn’t apply to fish— fish must always go through strict quarantine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the benefits of diversity in using live rock from various sources outweighs any negatives.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do nothing. It all goes in including the water they came in. Fish, coral, inverts, macro, everything. Works for me.
I have been told I am lucky. My lottery tickets never win though.

I keep a tank to have a piece of the ocean. There are a few things I would not want in my tank but they can be dealt with.
I keep everything else. Or at least try to.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not offended. Did not watch the video. However as a general rule I like to control what goes into my tank. I like many others bought in the
past. Intrigued by the colorful cancerous algae’s and interesting other critters. But I did. It understand that red bugs. Bubble algae. Bristleworms etc were not good. This was years ago.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda with you on the whole extreme quarantine thing. At some point it sucks the fun out of the hobby. If I were a serious commercial aquaculture person, I would probably lean harder into QT. Sure, I do the basics of dipping, removing plug etc. Beyond that I just manage with a diverse predator population.

Full disclosure: yes, I have had monti eating nudis, aefw, white bugs, aiptasia, valonia and vermetids over the last 14 years.

But you will never pry my microscope out of my salty hands. No way.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not offended. Did not watch the video. However as a general rule I like to control what goes into my tank. I like many others bought in the
past. Intrigued by the colorful cancerous algae’s and interesting other critters. But I did. It understand that red bugs. Bubble algae. Bristleworms etc were not good. This was years ago.
Exactly! Pests/algae’s are obviously terrible and prevention is necessary, but I’ve learned so much from my mistakes and fixing them that I don’t think I could’ve truly understood otherwise

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms are free CuC!

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda with you on the whole extreme quarantine thing. At some point it sucks the fun out of the hobby. If I were a serious commercial aquaculture person, I would probably lean harder into QT. Sure, I do the basics of dipping, removing plug etc. Beyond that I just manage with a diverse predator population.

Full disclosure: yes, I have had monti eating nudis, aefw, white bugs, aiptasia, valonia and vermetids over the last 14 years.

But you will never pry my microscope out of my salty hands. No way.

Microscopes and extreme QT are the best parts of the hobby for a lot of people! I wish I was that person, and hopefully I will be one day!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m re-vamping my tank next week. It will be “Pests Only.” No fish. No corals.
I'll set you up with a good "starter pack" for $200 plus shipping. Standard DOA policy.

You will need to drop a coral and fish in every now and then though. I know it ruins the aesthetic for a bit, but hey, everybody needs to eat.

JuiceByCliff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant this video/post to be a lighthearted thing and I didn’t intend to offend. I just meant that excessive coral quarantine (microscope, etc.) isn’t always necessary when you follow a strict protocol of dip/inspect. I very much so believe that doesn’t apply to fish— fish must always go through strict quarantine.
That is my take too. I feel the stresses and swings of a small QT tank are more detrimental than dips and inspection. I don’t do this for a Living and it’s supposed to be fun, not work. That being said, ask my friend who lost tens of thousands of dollars in corals to flatworms and he has a different opinion!!!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know exactly where you're coming from, and couldn't have said it better myself. Part of the enjoyment and sense of satisfaction associated with this hobby is overcoming the challenges that present themselves as our tanks evolve.

There is also the simple fact that I don't have the time, space, inclination, or money to set up multiple quarantines for everything I intend to introduce into the tank. Am I headed for a crash? Quite possibly. But I got into this hobby/lifestyle with the realization that I was walking the razor's edge.

When/if the big crash comes, I'll pick myself up, do what needs to be done, and start over. Even with the best of precautions, there are no guarantees.

If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong. And if it can't go wrong, it will anyway. Murphy's law (revised) :)

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the only pests I've had are bubble algea and apatasia. I killed both though the bubble algea was much harder and in the end more than a little toxic. Then I went and redid the whole sump moved the tank and upgraded the system components. Now the only pests I want is my daughter to keep her hands off the tank and out of it too.

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my take too. I feel the stresses and swings of a small QT tank are more detrimental than dips and inspection. I don’t do this for a Living and it’s supposed to be fun, not work. That being said, ask my friend who lost tens of thousands of dollars in corals to flatworms and he has a different opinion!!!

Didn’t cross my mind when making this video, but good point. When you’ve invested that much the risk is far too risky :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back