Pests wiped out my reef tank in 2 weeks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this process will take weeks but can be done. I would drain tank and remove everything . Everything can be cleaned. Take sand in 5 gallon buckets and put hose in and turn on hose let run and wash around sand be careful not to let sand flow out of bucket. Do this many times and even soak in fresh water for days. And do same thing maybe with bleach or citric acid for rocks. Soak all many days drain and refill do again many times. Then razor blade and clean whole tank and sump and what not. Scrub vacuum fill clean repeat. You should be fine after you restart your new tank and re cycle it again starting from the beginning with fish only

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated I received a coral that had zoa eating spiders and later had nudibranches Possibly worms etc this mushroom coral rock was loaded bc my tanks been fine for a year I lost all my coral ….question is do I give up ? People recommended it on this site but nobody answered my question….what if I drain the tank for a week straight ? I know beneficial bacteria will die but won’t all the pests ? Can they live without water ….does this make sense to anyone? I don’t wanna start over new rock sand all that don’t have the funds ty!!
Nothing will teach you to dip and QT everything quicker than losing it all in 2 weeks. Sucks forsure. There is all the information in the world about how to be successful in this hobby, you just have to be willing to put in the time to read it.

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have always had my own way of cleaning incoming corals. Very effective at removing hitchhikers and their eggs.

Get a really cheap ultrasonic cleaner for eyeglasses/small jewelry from Amazon. Example attached.

Each time an incoming coral needs dipping, make dipping solution according to product label and fill the ultrasonic cleaner chamber with the solution.

Turn ultrasonic cleaner on (lowest setting if adjustable) for 30 seconds. You will see lots of weird things coming loose.

Remove coral and rinse with new saltwater. Ready for DT.

Always use the suspension basket that comes with the cleaner. Do NOT let your coral come into direct contact with the vibrating chamber wall.

DISCLAIMER: use this method at your own risk. It can kill delicate corals, especially those will small polyps (not just LPS). Never use this method on fish or inverts as I suspect it would be inhumane (fish "hear" vibrations through lateral lines). The method also won't cure any ongoing coral disease. It is for removal of hidden pests on incoming corals only.

Attachments

• R-C (1).jpg
    R-C (1).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 20

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated I received a coral that had zoa eating spiders and later had nudibranches Possibly worms etc this mushroom coral rock was loaded bc my tanks been fine for a year I lost all my coral ….question is do I give up ? People recommended it on this site but nobody answered my question….what if I drain the tank for a week straight ? I know beneficial bacteria will die but won’t all the pests ? Can they live without water ….does this make sense to anyone? I don’t wanna start over new rock sand all that don’t have the funds ty!!
Most of the bacteria in your tank is in your sand. So if you keep your sand in tank water while you dry out your rocks, you should be good to go with no cycle.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip
Dip Dip Dip
D
Did you dip your Corals? I use 2LF from Julian Sprung Reef Revive...and it's amazing the stuff that comes out of my Corals, even from clean Tanks and verified sellers.

Always
Always
DIP, DIP, DIP

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the bacteria in your tank is in your sand. So if you keep your sand in tank water while you dry out your rocks, you should be good to go with no cycle.
Ty interesting ….so I started putting corals back in after a few months so far they seem ok so we’ll see

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip your Corals? I use 2LF from Julian Sprung Reef Revive...and it's amazing the stuff that comes out of my Corals, even from clean Tanks and verified sellers.

Always
Always
DIP, DIP, DIP
No sadly I never dipped corals from that website I used them for 7 years not one problem they dip their corals but the eggs survive the dip either way ….after 4-5 months of no coral I think my wrasse took care of the pests …I added coral so we’ll see

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back