Petco $50 40G Breeder Tank- An introduction to saltwater. Part 1

steakncheese

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at a lot of the other build treads. I guess mine will start late.

The 40g Breeder started with 40lbs of Carib Sea Base rock and 40 lbs of Caribsea Fiji Pink sand. The equipment consists of SW-20 Wavemaker and a AQ 70. For lighting I have a Nicrew Marine light currently providing 4 hours of moonlight and 8 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. I have a Ocean Revive ordered that is due in the states in May. I also ordered a custom 50w light bar with epileds with 9 470nm, 5 450nm and 4 420nm diodes that I will be using with the Ocean Revive.

I started with the "live" sand and also dosed with stability and completed a full 30 day cycle using ammonia.

The first inhabitant to the tank was a pajama bottom Cardinal. As of 4/17/21 He also has a tankmate now a Azure Damselfish. I was at my LFS and I told them I needed some movement in the tank cause my pajama sleeps all day and this was one zipping all along the tank cause it was being bullied so I brought it home. The Cardinal and Damselfish get along great. The damselfish is teaching the cardinal how not to be lazy when it comes to eating. The Cardinal seams to wait for the food to arrive, where as the damsel chases it down.

I purchased two small pieces of live rock from petco. They both came home with Bristleworms. I did not remove them but I see them poking out of the live rock all the time.

I also had to work the other weekend and ended up buying a bunch of corals. it was zoathids.com sale so almost all zoathids but I did come home with a couple other corals from my LFS.

I also cycled a 10 QT tank while the primary was cycling. I ordered 20 lbs of deco rock from GLR. It has been cycling in the QT tank for the last week. I am 99.99% the die off is finished as my ammonia is back to 0 ppm.

Well, let me show off some pictures cause I have a TON of questions about things I have done, things I have not done. Things I should have done, and thing I should be doing. (You get the point) :)

Questions

Do people treat the green algae or just let nature do it's thing?
What coc would you recommend that I have by this point?

As far as livestock. I know I want 2 clownfish so what would be some other good options that would go with my bioload?

IMG_5955.jpg IMG_5956.jpg IMG_5958.jpg IMG_5959.jpg IMG_5960.jpg IMG_5961.jpg IMG_5962.jpg IMG_5963.jpg IMG_5964.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back