Peter's Innovative Marine NUVO EXT 200 Mixed Reef

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finger is on the trigger for a IM 200 ext peninsula as a room divider. I currently have a 70g and 50g lagoon, both of which are doing very well. I want to consilodate into one big reef, but I am afraid of putting all of my eggs in one basket. Definitely following along.
Do it!
screaming do it GIF

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finger is on the trigger for a IM 200 ext peninsula as a room divider. I currently have a 70g and 50g lagoon, both of which are doing very well. I want to consilodate into one big reef, but I am afraid of putting all of my eggs in one basket. Definitely following along.
My dream is a peninsula tank if I had a place to put one. I have to settle for the 200 EXT instead. Maybe one day if I have a different house or my wife will let me start knocking walls down!

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome!!!!! OK - So, I decided to pull the trigger. I am gonna get the 200 Peninsula ext. BUT, I need you guys help. I am a filter roller guy. Should I buy the sump (usually costs a grand, but $600 in the bundle) or get a different filter roller sump? Did you get the stock sump or opt out? I am open to any and all suggestions.
BTW - not trying the hi-jack the thread. It's related, right?

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome!!!!! OK - So, I decided to pull the trigger. I am gonna get the 200 Peninsula ext. BUT, I need you guys help. I am a filter roller guy. Should I buy the sump (usually costs a grand, but $600 in the bundle) or get a different filter roller sump? Did you get the stock sump or opt out? I am open to any and all suggestions.
It was hard to tell from the pictures but I don't know that a roller would fit in that sump. Not sure if anyone has that new sump yet. I might be one of the first...whenever it comes. I have socks in my garage tank so I don't mind washing them but at times I wish I had rollers. You could always get a petco tank and a sump kit for cheap and modify it however you want. I did that in the garage with a 20 breeder. Was pretty easy. Not as pretty as those custom sumps but less than $200 is tempting. I saw someone use the 40 breeder kit on a 60 gallon tank. If that fits under your tank.

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not kept up with the IM changes and sump, but I spent another 1600 for a sump from synergy reef with filter roller to go with my EXT 200. It was not significantly better than just using a trigger sump with a hang on filter roller.
Plus these filter rollers with get outdated, and you might end up with an outdated sump in a few years.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote keep it simple. Do a roller if you want but keep the ability to just use socks. So you can use them when your roller breaks or tp is not available. I don't think that you could fit a roller in the new IM sumps. I just washed all of my socks the other day. It takes 10 minuets of actual work and I am set for 6 weeks or so.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the new IM sump. like a lot of us I was back in forth. kinda silly they made a new sump that in not roller ready. even the RS sump on my 300XL G2 was a breeze to remove the filter cups and add the reef mat.

that said i think there is a way to do that. I am guessing take the make drain right in to the roller the 2nd in to the filter cups and leave the E drain open.
of course that all in theory.

guess i'll see I reach out to IM just to get an idea all they said was your at week 11 so I am guessing another month. at this point might as well wait till April so the snow melts.

a 60BR sounds nice if you want to go DIY and save some cash for the roller matt.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS had a healthy looking juvenile orange shoulder and juvenile blue tang for weeks. I decided to take the 44gallon brut full of rock I have been cycling for a few weeks and use it as a sump for a temporary tank. I had a 20 gallon long that I drilled years ago and I had broke one of the downpipes attachment. I fixed it and grabbed some live rocks from another tank and some new sand and made a temporary tank for the 2 tangs. I have never cycled using Dr Tim's and ammonia before...man that takes forever. Almost 2 weeks. I have a small protein skimmer and hung a filter sock below the downpipes. It is up and running and all the fish are happy so far (I used some chromis initially to test if it was safe). I feel bad since the orange shoulder looks a little cramped. If he grows much I may move him to the 40 gallon in the garage if he goes 2 months with no disease. Depends on how long IM takes to send the new tank. I now have all the fish (except maybe a sailfin) for the new tank. The wife is not happy about 3 tanks in the garage but I told her it was temporary...unless I change my mind.

20230220_171044.jpg

20230220_171028.jpg
20230220_170841.jpg
20230220_170832.jpg
20230220_180729.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the tang gang is complete. This desjardini tang is tiny. Hope he does well. Now I wait for the tank.
20230223_185807.jpg
20230223_185733.jpg
20230223_185557.jpg
Dang man you are so far ahead on me. all I know is a will buy QTed fish.
to be honest i have been thinking of making it into a nice planted FW tank too! :eek::eek::eek:
IDK I want to do a FOWLR almost to small. lol

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man you are so far ahead on me. all I know is a will buy QTed fish.
to be honest i have been thinking of making it into a nice planted FW tank too! :eek::eek::eek:
IDK I want to do a FOWLR almost to small. lol
I was going to buy QT'ed fish but my LFS had all the tangs I wanted for $100 each. I figured I would buy all 3 and isolate them in their own tank. If they do well for 3 months they should be ok to mix with the rest of the fish. So far all 3 are looking great.

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on transferring things from the old tank on the swap day/week?
I've tried to come up with strategies for moving things (for a hypothetical future upgrade) but the prospect seems very daunting.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on transferring things from the old tank on the swap day/week?
I've tried to come up with strategies for moving things (for a hypothetical future upgrade) but the prospect seems very daunting.
My wife is dreading that day..so am I. I will move all the top rocks with SPS to my garage tank. Then move the rest of the rocks and fish into buckets/large bins on the ground with heaters/flow in them. I will then move the 425xl across the room and set it back up just as it is but without the SPS rocks since restacking them will be tough (I'll leave them in the garage tank until new tank is setup). Then I will have whatever time I need to 1st build the light mount and mount it to the wall then setup the new tank. Since I have to plumb the new tank myself I will plumb it in the garage so I will have access from all 4 sides of the tank to make it easier (before I ever move the 425). That way I will have time between steps. To try to move the 425 and setup the new tank in 1 day would be insane.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back