ph and dkh problem

samnmikenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone im kinda new to all of this. But my issue is that my ph is low around 7.8 and my dkh is at 10. i have been adding reef buffer and builder to the tank (56 us gallon column) but it doesnt seem to bring my ph up. as far as the dkh from what i understaind is the alklinity witch i have been told 10 was ok - 8 dkh to 12 dkh. so my problem is getting my ph level up were it should be at or around there. if any advise please help
thanks to all

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell 8.3 works great for me After your ph reaches 8.3 it only raise's your Kh. Or if you want to add just a pure ph additive try aquavitro 8.4 it will raise your alk but not as fast as brightwell. just my opinion and it works for me.

OP
OP
S

samnmikenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should i be adding the buffer 8.3 and builder carbonate alkalinity by seachem to get the ph to 8.3 from 7.8 and should i be adding them both together when my kh is at 10 or should i only be adding the buffer ?
and thanks for a quick reply

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8.3 reef buffer will raise your alk some just make sure to add the recommend amount and test about a hour or so after. Make sure to mix it outside the tank then add. I have used aquavitros 8.4 and it will raise alk but at a really slow rate. Here is something to try before you go adding all kind of stuff. Get a sample of tank water, then add a airstone and let it sit for a few hours then test the ph. If it goes up the you need more ventilation and circulation in the tank. If it goes down then you probably need to open some window or run a tube from your skimmer outside. If neither works then I would add reef buffer or something.

OP
OP
S

samnmikenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well thanks very much jeremy. I actually just hooked the protein skimmer up to a hose that runs outside so i am hoping this works but i will wait untill tommorow when the lights come on before testing the ph again. also if that does not work i will use the buffer and if all else fails i will refer back to everyone here on reef2reef. thanks again everyone

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought is dose kalkin your top off water. This can also help with chronic low pH.Just a thought.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you alk is in the proper range then your problem is excess co2 in the tank. Adding buffer will always raise the dkh, do not use buffer to try and fix your ph problem. Really your pH isn't that bad, if it were my tank I wouldn't worry too much about it. Here is some reading

Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://www.fishchannel.com/media/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-frontiers/co2-friend-or-foe.aspx.pdf

+1. Adding buffer will not normally help anything and can cause issues. Try adding a refugium and/or CO2 scrubber.

CJ

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem as you in the past. One fix I found was running my skimmer venturi to an open window. This allowed the skimmer to bring in fresh air to mix with the water, driving off excess CO2. The downside to this was 25feet of airline tubing running across my house. About a year ago I made a CO2 scrubber and connected that to my skimmer venturi. Its absorbs the CO2 before the skimmer can mix it into the water, thus keeping my pH in the proper range. It works really really well.

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a similar problem and have been considering adding some macro algae to raise those oxygen levels. My tank is a little smaller than the OP's , forty gallon, I defintely want to thank you guys for the help. Sometimes its difficult to discern whats really needed on the tank vs whats "fluff".

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) measure the pH just before lights out.

2) if still not above 8.3 or so then add macro algaes to consume the carbon dioxide.

my .02

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back