pH and the relationship to coral growth-spurts

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is tied into outside air. It's weird that the weather has my pH topping out at various peaks. Some weeks my peak is 8.1 while other weeks 8.3

Anyone done any reading about the relationship btwn higher pH and the growth-spurt of corals?

pH = the power of hydrogen

I suppose the more hydrogen molecules there are, the more coral growth???

Plz share any links....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a huge number of studies in regards to pH and corals, due to the concern of ocean acidification. The lower the pH, the harder it is for corals to grow. 8.3 is the recent norm before humans but humans have lowered the ph of the ocean to I think 8.1 (at an extraordinarily fast past meaning less than few hundred rather than millions of years). The ocean is on tract to be at 7.8 by 2100 where shells can quite literally dissolve (hence why marine biologists are very concerned with our carbon dioxide footprint). There are more scholarly papers on this topic than time I have to search through them to find one you might be handy but you can try google scholar or a university database (if possible) to find more details (if there is something very specific that you want to know I can find it). There are many more issues too such as mass extinction of other species of different phylums (lower pH prevents proteins from functioning properly and fish like clownfish and man y many many others will likely face extinction in the wild). This hobby is probably not going to be around by 2100.

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just PH, but Light, Nitrate and Phosphate, CA, Alk and MG.
There’s a tube video by Dana Riddle which for me, truly explained the relationship of these things and how I could leverage better growth, but, that at one point, more stuff did not translate into more growth, too little bad, too much, bad, looking for the Goldilocks zone.

I put his thinking into play 6 months ago.
In one month, a noticeable difference in colour vibrancy, growth and extension.
In two months, I’m getting really happy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is tied into outside air. It's weird that the weather has my pH topping out at various peaks. Some weeks my peak is 8.1 while other weeks 8.3

Anyone done any reading about the relationship btwn higher pH and the growth-spurt of corals?

pH = the power of hydrogen

I suppose the more hydrogen molecules there are, the more coral growth???

Plz share any links....

FWIW, higher pH means LESS H+, not more.

Higher pH does lead to faster growth of some hard corals. if the pH is too low (below about pH 7.7), coral skeletons can slowly dissolve.

This has more:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back