PH buffer now corals condensed?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistakenly added ph buffer to raise ph after reading an article. I now realize that was a mistake. It also raised dkh about 2 points to 9.

The corals (zoa, gorgonia, Duncan, antheilia) have looked weird the past few days. Everything is half opened and just looks condensed, like short and thicker vs long and wavy. Zoas are half closed.

What is my course of correction? Wait it out or big water change?

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem marine buffer. It did seem to raise ph from high 7 to low 8s. That was only change from normal

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem marine buffer. It did seem to raise ph from high 7 to low 8s. That was only change from normal

Don't believe the nonsensical claim that it "Raises and maintains pH at 8.3 in all saltwater aquariums".

That claim represents either ignorance, or lack of truthfulness.

I wouldn't be convinced it is the coral issue, but in any case, I'd just wait and watch the corals.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't believe the nonsensical claim that it "Raises and maintains pH at 8.3 in all saltwater aquariums".
How do these companies make this claim? None of them do this. Seawater is always going to equilibrate with the surrounding co2 in the air. There are no supplements that will raise and maintain a pH of 8.3 it will only boost the pH for a short while? correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these companies make this claim? None of them do this. Seawater is always going to equilibrate with the surrounding co2 in the air. There are no supplements that will raise and maintain a pH of 8.3 it will only boost the pH for a short while? correct?

Correct.

Lesson #1 of reefing: many companies exaggerate claims, and some push outright falsehoods.

Are the falsehoods due to ignorance, or intentional greed? Maybe both.

With regard to chemical supply companies, it can take a long time and a lot of chemistry knowledge to know which companies are worthy of trust, and which are not. Sadly, a lot of them fall into the latter category.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back