pH corrected, now really high alkalinity

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much baking soda did you add in total?
if you h
Soda ash (baking soda cooked) is the alkalinity additive in most 2 part dosing schemes. You just added a huge amount of alkalinity additive to your tank....hence the rise in alkalinity. The effect of adding alkalinity on your pH is very short lived. If you keep adding it the pH will keep going down and you end up where you are.....very high alkalinity and eventually the same pH.

Don't chase pH or use additives to get it to a certain number. Make sure you have adequate air exchange and don't fret it.
+1000

a better choice is to test cal and alk then look at kalwasser (cheap) it adds both cal&alk. underdosing saturated kalkwasser in the ato will help.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give you from one noob to the next is DO NOT CHASE ANYTHING. If a number is off a little bit wait and see what happens. Do a water change before you go dosing anything to bring it back in line. Never dose anything that you aren't testing for, and test often. If you have questions, ask. I've learned so much just from asking and reading. I like @saltyfilmfolks signature, and check out mine too...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back