PH drop after UV sterilizer installed to fight dinos?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a UV sterilizer to fight dinos - Coolia and Prorocentrum.

I noticed the next morning my ph had dropped significantly and has continued that trend. Nothing drastic but it is significant considering my ph has been like clockwork.

Had anyone else noticed this?

My theory (and hope) is that the dinos are dying and no longer consuming CO2 which could be lowering my ph.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a probe to measure PH, make sure that UV power code is no where close to the PH probe as electrical interference can occur and totally screw up your PH readings.

Happened to my when I installed a UV to my tank and made my PH reading constantly wrong until I re-ran the PH probe cable and UV power cable.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a probe to measure PH, make sure that UV power code is no where close to the PH probe as electrical interference can occur and totally screw up your PH readings.

Happened to my when I installed a UV to my tank and made my PH reading constantly wrong until I re-ran the PH probe cable and UV power cable.

Its 10 feet away from the ph probe.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s definitely not the power cable messing with the PH probe.

This is when I installed the UV and started stirring the sand bed and blowing off rocks to get the dinos into the water column so the UV could hit them.

Pretty obvious drop when nothing else changed.

And it isn’t from CO2 buildup in my house, I’m running skimmer intake outside as well as an ERV unit in my house.

2B694772-CDFD-4E8B-8442-085CDE2830D2.jpeg

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s definitely not the power cable messing with the PH probe.

This is when I installed the UV and started stirring the sand bed and blowing off rocks to get the dinos into the water column so the UV could hit them.

Pretty obvious drop when nothing else changed.

And it isn’t from CO2 buildup in my house, I’m running skimmer intake outside as well as an ERV unit in my house.

2B694772-CDFD-4E8B-8442-085CDE2830D2.jpeg
Did you ever figure out what was happening? I’m seeing an identical result after installing a small UV sterilizer on my own tank. The graph is a shot-for-shot of my own APEX pH trend.

Back