pH droped in new reef tank

NenSchaefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting my first Reef tank. It is 30g with a 10 gallon sump. It has been cycling for 2 months now... a bit long but I was finishing school and didnt have time to give my full attention to any fish yet. Anyways, I have finally ordered 2 clownfish from live aquaria and they are arriving tomorrow but my tanks pH dropped to 7.6 overnight!! It has had decent parameters, not perfect (Nitrate was high at 2 ppm and pH was 8.0) so I did a 30% ish water change to lower the Nitrates yesterday before the pH dropped. Previous water changes have not affected the pH. Should I add baking soda before my fish arrive tomorrow? Should I attempt another water change? Should I add an air stone? I opened the doors to let some air in so that might help? My little clownfish are arriving tomorrow and I'm worried.

There currently isnt a protein skimmer running. And I have been lightly dosing some micro bacteria 7 over the past week just to add some more bacteria, idk I thought the more couldnt hurt, just to be safe. And it is fully cycled to the best of my knowledge. (Added a small dose of ammonia a little less than a month ago to double check if it was cycled and it was all gone within a few days. Other parameters from last night( before water change) are at ammonia (0 ppm), (dKH 9.5), nitrite (0.05ppm), pH (8.0), temp 78, and salinity 1.025. And now (after the water change) the parameters are nitrate is at 0ish maybe 1, nitrite is 0ppm, dKH is at 8.5 and pH is at 7.6. Also I use RODI water for filter changes, instant ocean salt mix, and I dont have anything in the tank other than sand and rock that weren't live to start. I run AI prime lights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for the long post, I wasn't sure on what information would be relevant.

20210519_114121.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Did you measure the pH at the same time of day?
2. Was your salt mixed well?
3. Did you happen to turn on your air conditioner or shut windows?
4. Did you recheck the tests (its possible the 7.6 OR the 8.0 is incorrect?

Any of those things (and more) can cause pH changes. Most people don't 'chase it, especially with a fish only tank. My tank( you can see in the signature) - can vary over 24 hours between 7.7 and 8.1. depending on how closed the house is, etc.

I would maybe review the questions above - recheck the tests and acclimate your clowns according to the instructions given by the seller. Hope this helps!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't 'chase it
Words to live by. Seriously, you can drive yourself nutty worrying about pH, and especially in a new tank, where numbers tend to fluctuate constantly. You should be fine if the build has finished its cycle, all other params are within an acceptable range, and you keep up with water changes.

OP
OP
NenSchaefer

NenSchaefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Did you measure the pH at the same time of day?
2. Was your salt mixed well?
3. Did you happen to turn on your air conditioner or shut windows?
4. Did you recheck the tests (its possible the 7.6 OR the 8.0 is incorrect?

Any of those things (and more) can cause pH changes. Most people don't 'chase it, especially with a fish only tank. My tank( you can see in the signature) - can vary over 24 hours between 7.7 and 8.1. depending on how closed the house is, etc.

I would maybe review the questions above - recheck the tests and acclimate your clowns according to the instructions given by the seller. Hope this helps!
1. I retested the first one at 11 pm yesterday and then changed the water this morning and retested at 7am
2. My salt had been mixing from the night before so I'm assuming that's well mixed, there wasnt any viable salt left in the water in the morning.
3. AC in the house isnt on because its 78 out but we have the windows open.
4. I checked it once with API and got 7.6 then I rechecked with the red sea test kit and got 7.6 as well. I tested the 8.0 only with API kit the night before but it had been consistantly 8.1 for weeks so I didnt do a second test

Last edited:
OP
OP
NenSchaefer

NenSchaefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question... I got a bottle of coraline algae from ARC reef to introduce coraline algae. Should I add it now before I introduce the fish tomorrow or wait a few weeks? I know coraline algae takes a long time so I wanted to get it in sooner rather than later.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. I retested the first one at 11 pm yesterday and then changed the water this morning and retested at 7am
2. My salt had been mixing from the night before so I'm assuming that's well mixed, there wasnt any viable salt left in the water in the morning.
3. AC in the house isnt on because its 78 out but we have the windows open.
4. I checked it once with API and got 7.6 then I rechecked with the red sea test kit and got 7.6 as well. I tested the 8.0 only with API kit the night before but it had been consistantly 8.1 for weeks so I didnt do a second test
Got it that your salt was mixing. Did you mix your salt before putting it in. Again - I think you might be overanalyzing. Acclimate the clowns as recommended by the seller:)?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is probably caused by increased ambient co2. Try to crack a window, but the fish won't care.
No point in water changes.
2 ppm nitrate is fine, low even.
The additional bacterial may also increase co2 in the water.
Increase water surface agitation or use an air stone to promote gas exchange to lower co2 concentration.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question... I got a bottle of coraline algae from ARC reef to introduce coraline algae. Should I add it now before I introduce the fish tomorrow or wait a few weeks? I know coraline algae takes a long time so I wanted to get it in sooner rather than later.
Doesn't really matter when you add the coralline algae. Sooner may be better as you are right that it takes a while. Just don't add it before a water change or you will waste some.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add it now, I believe the spores are alive and if you wait too long will become dead and not do much

OP
OP
NenSchaefer

NenSchaefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it that your salt was mixing. Did you mix your salt before putting it in. Again - I think you might be overanalyzing. Acclimate the clowns as recommended by the seller:)?
Thanks for the help!I mix my saltwater in a 10 gallon brute can with a wave-maker attached to the side. I'm just going to acclimate them normally and keep a close eye on the parameters. :D I don't think its too much to worry about atm.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH level isn’t optimal but there is nothing to worry about at this time as your tank is empty.
Do know that the swing youre seeing from 11pm > 7am is very common “PH SWING” - there are many ways you can stabilize this swing In the future.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back