pH dropped with Argonite and Aquamax HOB skimmer

alterboy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH dropped from 8.2 to 7.6 with the switch to Argonite sand substrate and replacement of my HOB protein skimmer to Aquamaxx. Should I be worried and how do I raise my pH back?

75 gallon Saltwater FOWLR tank.
The tank has been stable and up and running for a couple of years. One month ago I replaced the substrate from aquarium gravel to Argonite sand (CaribSea). I thoroughly pre-washed the Argonite and replaced the gravel with 70 lbs of sand over a 7 day period. At the same time I replaced my old Aquaremora HOB protein skimmer with a Aquamaxx 1.5.

As a result my pH dropped from a steady 8.2 and is now stuck at 7.6 for the past month. My total alkalinity also dropped at the same time from 300 KH to 150 KH. I dosed in some soda ash (made by roasting baking soda) over the course of a couple weeks and the total alkalinity has returned to 300 KH, but pH remains at 7.6. All my other readings seem OK: nitrites remain at 0, nitrates at 20, salinity at 1.21, ammonia at 0, temperature at 78F. As an interesting aside the tank had some red algae that disappeared.

The fish appear fine. Its stocked with a clownfish, firefish, coral beauty, sailfin tang, pajama cardinal, pearlscale butterfly, hawkfish, chalk bass, pin cushion urchin, chocolate starfish and a half dozen snails. The tank has 50lbs of live rock. I do 5% water changes each week + 15% each month. I use a home RO/DI system with TDS currently at 2. My primary (canister) filter is a Fluval 407. I am measuring pH midday on a weekly basis using Tetra EasyStrips.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would trust Tetra strips to assess my pH.

However, if your new skimmer is more effective at aeration, then that could drive down your pH if your indoor CO2 is elevated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back