pH is really upsetting me, gets as low as 7.31 at night. I have verified with 4 different probes.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef over time just keeps lowering pH. Earlier in the year I thought 7.7 was bad but now it's down to 7.31 on average at night (sometimes as low as 7.19). My CO2 meter in the home is fairly high but not crazy (1000). I have tried opening doors, currently running a fresh air line to the skimmer, NOTHING is working to raise it. Yes, I do run a calcium reactor but that's it. There is something going on in the tank that's causing my pH to be this low and I can't figure it out.

I have used a freshly calibrated milwaukee, pinpoint, hanna and my apex with all new double junction probes and freshly non expired calibration fluid. I have also verified (best I can) with those trash color tests from salifert and api. The numbers are 10000000000000% correct.

So, either this low pH thing is entire BS or somehow my reef has survived 5 years of this wretched pH. At what point will it stop? Is it even possible to drop below 7.1 on an in home reef? Am I a marvel of science? Should every scientist use my tank for breakthrough research? Can I will an award? A prize?

I just pulled the trigger on a $45k remodel just to fit a new tank I just ordered. I am installing $5,000 with of ERV systems in this room. I just hope all my crap doesn't die between now and the 4 months it's going to take to get that new tank shipped and up and running.

Yes I am throwing money at the problem but since i have determined I am an enigma modern marvel of science I guess it was worth it. I just want a dang badge or something.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an interesting thread that demonstrated that calcium reactors are the primary source of CO2 in homes with a calcium reactor. Not surprised by the readings you're getting. I struggled with low pH at night with my calcium reactor driven tank too. Have you considered trying a recirculating CO2 scrubber for your skimmer?

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My reef over time just keeps lowering pH. Earlier in the year I thought 7.7 was bad but now it's down to 7.31 on average at night (sometimes as low as 7.19). My CO2 meter in the home is fairly high but not crazy (1000). I have tried opening doors, currently running a fresh air line to the skimmer, NOTHING is working to raise it. Yes, I do run a calcium reactor but that's it. There is something going on in the tank that's causing my pH to be this low and I can't figure it out.

I have used a freshly calibrated milwaukee, pinpoint, hanna and my apex with all new double junction probes and freshly non expired calibration fluid. I have also verified (best I can) with those trash color tests from salifert and api. The numbers are 10000000000000% correct.

So, either this low pH thing is entire BS or somehow my reef has survived 5 years of this wretched pH. At what point will it stop? Is it even possible to drop below 7.1 on an in home reef? Am I a marvel of science? Should every scientist use my tank for breakthrough research? Can I will an award? A prize?

I just pulled the trigger on a $45k remodel just to fit a new tank I just ordered. I am installing $5,000 with of ERV systems in this room. I just hope all my crap doesn't die between now and the 4 months it's going to take to get that new tank shipped and up and running.

Yes I am throwing money at the problem but since i have determined I am an enigma modern marvel of science I guess it was worth it. I just want a dang badge or something.
What model Calcium Reactor are you operating? And maybe share some photos of its configuration.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a calcium reactor on my 90g aquarium. What's the pH in your calcium reactor? My calcium reactor gets to a low pH of 6.2 and the resulting effluent definitely lowers your pH.

As someone else suggest, have you tired a CO2 scrubber? I'm able to get my pH in my aquarium up to 8.3 with the scrubber. Otherwise my aquarium pH is in the mid/high 7 range.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, either this low pH thing is entire BS
It definitely has an impact on calcification. So, if you have mostly softies it will not be as impacted. LPS more so, and SPS mostly impacted. If you haven't done so, I highly recommend yiu read up on @Randy Holmes-Farley's articles on pH and the chemistry of CaCo3 formation.

Stonies "can" tolerate low pH but make them weak and brittle and require more energy for them to pump the extra +H ions out of their ttissues. Maybe your other conditions have been really good that compensated for the poor pH.

All things equal, a higher pH will definitely result in better health for your Stoney corals.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if OP is still around, but I don't believe it's possible to have a pH as low as reported here. Things would be dissolving.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it is normal for PH to drop at night since there is no photosynthesis taking place (assuming that your tank lights are off ) as a result all the CO2 build up from your fish respiring decreases the PH value .

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is normal for PH to drop at night since there is no photosynthesis taking place (assuming that your tank lights are off ) as a result all the CO2 build up from your fish respiring decreases the PH value .
When the lights are back on the organisms will go back to do photosynthesis causing your PH to increase .

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been at this far longer than me but like others suggested CO2 scrubbers do work. There's some controversy with them for reasons I can't understand. Perhaps it's a sizing issue where they don't work as well in large tanks. I just have a 30g right now and it's the only thing keeping me in the 8's. I've never used a CO2 reactor but I honestly can't wrap my head around how it can be used and still have a Ph in the 8s. I'm waiting on a 120 gallon and plan to use a scrubber and kalkwasser to keep a handle on the Ph.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back