pH is too low, but alk is fine. Best ways to raise pH without boosting alk?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pH is too low (consistently around 7.5), but alk is fine (currently 9.4). What are the best ways to raise pH without boosting alk? I should also note that I don't have a skimmer (not enough sump space for one). I'm thinking maybe a fuge/chaeto reactor, or an ATS? What else might work?

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH is too low (consistently around 7.5), but alk is fine (currently 9.4). What are the best ways to raise pH without boosting alk? I should also note that I don't have a skimmer (not enough sump space for one). I'm thinking maybe a fuge/chaeto reactor, or an ATS? What else might work?
I ain't no Randy Holmes Farley but I switched to his DIY NaOh (High pH) 2 part and never looked back. It's the same Alkaline concentration as Soda Ash but has the pH of Kalkwasser.

I have my Kamoer dosing on the hour to make sure that it builds the pH up and keeps it there throughout the day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the highest available pH boost for alk you do add, and removing CO2 from the water are the ways.

For alk addition, hydroxide is best followed by carbonate. Bicarbonate and organic forms (like Tropic Marin All For Reef or Salifert All In One) are worst in this regard, except for a CaCO3/CO2 reactor which alone holds the bottom of the list.

To remove CO2, use outdoor air, freshen the room air, use a CO2 scrubber, have more photosynthesis, etc.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm currently using AFR as my supplement, but maybe I need to switch. How hard is it to make the high pH alk solution? I've got plenty of water movement, so I'm thinking the next thing I could tinker with would be adding an algae scrubber or macro reactor. We're also in a nice time of year for opening windows/doors around the house, so that may help while I figure out the other stuff.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard is it to make the high pH alk solution?
It's not hard at all. I use Randy's recipe 1 and you just have to bake your baking soda in the oven to drive off CO2 and then mix it with rodi water. IME the pH benefit isn't very noticeable long term. I dose near my apex probes so I see a instant spike but it doesn't seem to change the pH much overall.
If I were you and were happy with AFR I would try one of the other methods you mentioned before switching what I dose.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm currently using AFR as my supplement, but maybe I need to switch. How hard is it to make the high pH alk solution? I've got plenty of water movement, so I'm thinking the next thing I could tinker with would be adding an algae scrubber or macro reactor. We're also in a nice time of year for opening windows/doors around the house, so that may help while I figure out the other stuff.
The Hi

Attempt at your own risk. Hydroxide is corrosive and should only be used by persons who have knowledge of chemical safety. Personally, I use the Caustic soda only to replace my Alk dosing. My Calcium is BRS Calcium mixed to their specs. The pH boost is much higher than Soda Ash as @Randy Holmes-Farley explained. You might also need to get high pH resistant fittings. I just used irrigation connectors on my doser instead of the little transparent ones that come with it.

Read his article Carefully. If you aren't comfortable, steer clear

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a big problem with this... My pH was constantly around 7.5-7.8, which is... Less than ideal. My pH just hit 8.37 today, with the low point at 8.1.

What I started doing: I leave windows open in the morning and in the evening (as I'm out of the house during the day), and instarted running a recirculating pH scrubber. It works SUPER well.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the windows open as it's been nice out in the north east the past few days. I can't say enough about CO2 removal. I have an ERV in the basement, and CO2 levels rarely rise above 500 ppm; but opening up the windows brings something unmeasurable. I've switched calcium reactors, and I've had to go from 24 dkH effluent to 28 dkH just to keep up with the calcium carbonate uptake, it's just insane the difference fresh air makes. I also have a 3/4" line to the outside going to the skimmer, but still, opening those 6 little windows really helps. I know that's not an option for everyone, but if you haven't tried it, you should when you can.

Attachments

• 2021-09-29_22-22-53.png
    2021-09-29_22-22-53.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've started opening things up in the morning, and I'm planning to get a macroalgae reactor. I'd use a CO2 scrubber, but I don't have a skimmer. ;Shifty

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops I had to edit my post. Since I opened my windows my ph at night is at 8.0 & day 8.27 I have thought about getting a co2 scrubber for my skimmer.

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops I had to edit my post. Since I opened my windows my ph at night is at 8.0 & day 8.27 I have thought about getting a co2 scrubber for my skimmer.
It was 7.8-8.0 before. I’m guessing opening the windows work best & I increased my lighting a bit so that might have played a role in the increase.

but like they say don’t chase numbers if everything is good…

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 Scrubber… worked like a champ for me.

There’s a thread on here where someone was using a manifold for the air intake so that when the when pH reached slightly over their target, based on their controller, the solenoid would open to draw air thru a bypass line from outside the house to try and conserve media. I thought about doing that as well if I had to start back using the CO2 media in the future.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easiest way to raise ph is to open the windows in the house or atleast near the tank. Watch it rise…….best time to do it is when its raining or windy.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I find an aiptasia, I put a 1/2 teaspoon of NaOH on it and it dissolves it and raises the pH at the same time. So if you use NaOH, look for any aiptasia you need to get rid of first and make use of the opportunity

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A pH reading of 7.5 is not reasonable for a tank with decent aeration. I'd question the accuracy of your measurement device...

Post in thread 'Aquarium pH Distilled' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquarium-ph-distilled.853474/post-9330359

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I tested to verify it was CO2 causing my ph to drop. Once I verified it was, I added a diy CO2 scrubber and my ph went from 7.8 to 8.19.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP doesn't have a skimmer which would be necessary for the scrubber. Outside air is practical but only for certain times if the year in some places. Personally, I like that I get all the benefits of pH while just dosing Alk from NaOh. YMMV.

Telegraham also has a Kalk slurry setup that many have started to use. You can look that up on his IG. It doses Alk/Cal and raises pH. All in one.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, figure out if it's a fresh air issue. You can try opening windows, but that, as a test, that may not be conclusive and in any case, it might not work for you (ie, if you live in Wisconsin and 10 months of the year it's blistering hot or below freezing).
But you can still do the fresh air test.
Take some tank water and run an a pump/airstone to it. Note the pH, let the pump run for an hour and check the pH again. If the pH goes up, you need to find a way to better aerate your tank.
In the likely case that your pH remains the same, you're going to repeat the test except outside. Get some more tank water, and put the whole set up (or at least the pump) outdoors and let it run for an hour. If the pH is the same. Fresh air, or lack thereof, isn't the issue and you have to look elsewhere. However, if the pH does go up, than we can fix the problem pretty easily. The two main options being either to run a tube from outside to the intake of your protein skimmer or run an airline from a CO2 scrubber to your protein skimmer.

When I did the test, the inside one had no change, the outside one went up about about a half a point or so. I added a CO2 scrubber and the pH went up from something like 7.5-7.9 to 8.2-8.55.
I assume letting it get up that high is probably fine, but the DIY/techy in me wouldn't leave that alone. I used it as an excuse to upgrade from a pH monitor to a pH controller and a motorized ball valve that keeps it pretty close to 8.3 all the time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back