Ph low...

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I measured water parameters today and noticed my PH was a little low. Any ways I can bring this up? I have 2 clowns and this leather. I don’t want to lose any of these so hopefully there’s something I can do! Fairly new tank as well so it may be because of that.

image.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things you can do to up PH. Some simple things would be to open a window, allow more fresh air in. Another would be to up your surface agitation to promote more gas exchange, simply point a powerhead more towards the surface.
How low was it going?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your PH and how are you testing? My advice would be to just ignore that parameter for now and definitely don't try to chase values by making adjustments to your tank.. water changes and proper tank maintenance will help keep it in range and stable. You can also do things like open your windows in your home to help nudge your values up.

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things you can do to up PH. Some simple things would be to open a window, allow more fresh air in. Another would be to up your surface agitation to promote more gas exchange, simply point a powerhead more towards the surface.
How low was it going?
I have one of my flow makers pointing at the top to make sure gas exchanges but talked to a buddy of mine and said the same thing about opening a window. Hopefully that works!!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, I have three separate calibrated ph probes running in my aquarium (long story) all reading within .08 of each other and my pH right now is around 8.51. The last time I used API to test my pH, it suggested I was at 7.8 :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a comment ,check ph at same time of day ,every time you check,fluctuates up and down throughout the day ,without all the exp toys :)

Nick82187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain salt mixes also have different parameters which could affect PH, if you switch salt mixes you may see an increase, but it would probably be temporary unless you are doing water changes often

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing your mixed water for water changes and comparing to advertised values of salt mix will reveal test kit deviation

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test it? While 7.5 is a bit low, my money is on the test being bad- which is almost always what is causing a reading of 7.5 in most home aquariums.
Yeah I have some API test strips

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain salt mixes also have different parameters which could affect PH, if you switch salt mixes you may see an increase, but it would probably be temporary unless you are doing water changes often
Haven’t done a water change in a few days, and I am using the premade water from my LFS.

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done a water change in a few days, and I am using the premade water from my LFS.
Often times premixed from lfs. Is mixed to the bare minimum 1.o22 to 1.o23. Less salt per gallon sold. Equals 10 to 20 % more profit over 1.026. And ph runs lower when mixed at minimums. In the long run an rodi and mixing your owne will save you a little bit over a years time and offer better parameters. All while providing better accessibility to much needed water for emergencies

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some API test strips

I'd ignore pH for now. It is a more advanced thing to worry about, and a pH meter is the way to go if you do want to measure it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back