pH monitor?

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is can I use this to monitor my pH. Just leave probe in tank? Or if any one has any other type of monitor thing for pH I don't have money for Apex so something round this price.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic unit. I have a similar Milwaukee ORP controller. You can use it to monitor and control. There is a switched outlet that can turn on a device based on your pH level. Like turn on a dosing pump if your pH gets low to dose Kalkwasser. It is not internet enabled, so you have to watch it to see what the value is. But yes. Drop the probe in your tank/sump and leave it there. The probes do go bad, so you have to get a new probe every year or 2.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic unit. I have a similar Milwaukee ORP controller. You can use it to monitor and control. There is a switched outlet that can turn on a device based on your pH level. Like turn on a dosing pump if your pH gets low to dose Kalkwasser. It is not internet enabled, so you have to watch it to see what the value is. But yes. Drop the probe in your tank/sump and leave it there. The probes do go bad, so you have to get a new probe every year or 2.
Ok that sound like just what I need. Thanks. Just moved to new house little smaller then last one and alot tighter. So just want keep my eye on it and can afford the top end stuff right now.

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to make another thread, but im actually looking for a constant ph reader, and I was wondering if you guys know the difference between the one you have on the link (MC122 Pro) and this one I found on saltwateraquarium

thank you in advance!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one you linked to is just a monitor. It does not control. The MC122 has a controller with a switched power cord to turn on a pump or dosing pump to perhaps add Kalk in case your pH dropped too low, or whatever you would want to do. I have the one with the controller, but I haven't personally set anything up on that switched power lead yet. The "controller" on the one you linked to is just an alarm, which I presume beeps if it goes above / below a certain setpoint from that dial switch.

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one you linked to is just a monitor. It does not control. The MC122 has a controller with a switched power cord to turn on a pump or dosing pump to perhaps add Kalk in case your pH dropped too low, or whatever you would want to do. I have the one with the controller, but I haven't personally set anything up on that switched power lead yet. The "controller" on the one you linked to is just an alarm, which I presume beeps if it goes above / below a certain setpoint from that dial switch.

So im just looking for a monitor, not looking to dose anything since I don't really have any space on my tank, do you think the MC120 (the one I linked) would be better? im just trying to find an easier way to read the ph of my tank without using those color testkits. thank you for answering back btw

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally really like it. It has no WI-Fi interface or anything like that, so you have to be standing in front of the unit to read the value. But I don't care about that. It is enough for me to see the value to know what is going on in my tank. And I like that it is a continuous monitor. You drop the probe in and forget about it. Maybe every year or 2 you will need to replace the pH probe, so keep in mind that the probes do not last forever, but that will be true for any continuous pH monitor. So as long as you mount it somewhere that you can easily read it, then I would think you'd be fine.

The reason I haven't used the controller is that anything that could be added to adjust pH will also have implications on other parameters. For example, if you add soda ash to raise the pH, you could potentially add way too much and spike your alkalinity. Same thing with Kalk. If you try to compensate pH with Kalk, you could spike both calcium and alkalinity. So I choose to use it just as a monitor. What I guess I'm trying to say is that you'd probably be better off with just the monitor anyway...

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, and I was also reading about replacing the prove very year which I don't mind :) , the wi-fi situation is not really a big deal for me. but it has amazing reviews of the product and the company itself, so im gonna go ahead and order the one I linked. thank you so much for your help!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, and I was also reading about replacing the prove very year which I don't mind :) , the wi-fi situation is not really a big deal for me. but it has amazing reviews of the product and the company itself, so im gonna go ahead and order the one I linked. thank you so much for your help!
No problem.

Don't forget to get some calibrations solutions with your order. You can get the individual envelopes of pH 4, 7 and 10. The probes do need calibration to get accurate readings. The unit will come with a small screwdriver to adjust those calibration switches.

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.

Don't forget to get some calibrations solutions with your order. You can get the individual envelopes of pH 4, 7 and 10. The probes do need calibration to get accurate readings. The unit will come with a small screwdriver to adjust those calibration switches.

how often do you have to calibrate it? I just added some calibration solution to my order.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't in quite a while. I don't unless I suspect it isn't reading accurately. I have a few of each calibration solution on hand just in case. Now that I'm more familiar with where the pH runs on my tank, and it is pretty consistent, it's not often. But it will definitely need to be calibrated out of the box. Don't trust the value if you set it up and drop in the probe. I'd calibrate it before you even put it in your tank.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is can I use this to monitor my pH. Just leave probe in tank? Or if any one has any other type of monitor thing for pH I don't have money for Apex so something round this price.

Great device. Much more accurate than test kits. Also looks better in black

Attachments

• E3C99E8F-F74D-4BAF-98F9-C444C396D277.jpeg
    E3C99E8F-F74D-4BAF-98F9-C444C396D277.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 79

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I finally see why I could not connect my algae reactor to the controller plug. Have to set the controller setting to desired ph. Duh

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering if someone could answer. Is the MC 122 PH controller only comparable with the MP810 pump? I have a Koemer pump and curious if that would work with this unit.

e1v4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Milwaukee 122, my question is really if it can turn itself on again after the alarm goes.. i set my skimmer to shut of when pH is 8.5 it does close the skimmer but it never starts it back on after pH goes below 8.5.

I want to know if the monitor turns itself on aswell? Or is mine broken?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Milwaukee 122, my question is really if it can turn itself on again after the alarm goes.. i set my skimmer to shut of when pH is 8.5 it does close the skimmer but it never starts it back on after pH goes below 8.5.

I want to know if the monitor turns itself on aswell? Or is mine broken?
It's should if the skimmer is plugged into the outlet that comes off the unit AND you set the parameters on the unit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back