PH Monitoring/apex

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an apex, and it seems to fluctuate opposite of the orp, having said that, my oh seems to level out from 7.9-8.1, even if I dose ph buffer to increase it to 8.3-8.4, it will steadily decline over the course of say, 1day, until it is back steadily fluctuating opposite of my orp in the 7.9-8.1 range, any idea how I can maintain it at 8.3?
Any help is appreciated, everything in the tank looks great, and I don’t want to “chase numbers” but wondering if anyone else has come across this and how did you deal with it, thank you!

please don’t pay attention to the salinity reading, I’m not sure why, but it keeps getting air bubbles in it and steadily decreases till I shake the probe and it goes back to normal (I have it in the return pump chamber) had it in the chamber with my skimmer but it would decrease much quicker due to air bubbles.

B05050C3-F4A3-48CD-A35C-B57E6718C453.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, pH will fluctuate with carbon dioxide levels (co2 is consumed during day when lights are on by corals and algae). I would not try to control pH. When you added a buffer, you increased the alkalinity of the system which might not be good for your tank if done too quickly.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely wouldn't dose pH buffers just for the sake of getting pH up. #1 the effect will only be temporary and #2 you're going to really drive your alk through the roof. Maintain stable alk, possibly install a co2 scrubber if co2 is contributing to low pH, and/or consider dosing kalkwasser as your alk/Ca supplement for the added pH boost.

OP
OP
Benpastw

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you all!, have any of you felt with bubbles getting into the apex probes?
It’s annoying to always have to shake the probe to get the salinity to read correctly, i don’t even know how air is getting in as I have no idea where the bubbles would come from in my return pump region of the sump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back