ph not improving despite all your efforts? This read my help you in your hunt for a better ph

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I understood as well ... but, I have an HRV and the company I have always used, now recommends an ERV for my location, which is in a cold climate. I can see why. I struggle to keep enough humidity in the house in the winter using the HRV. My solid wood furniture does not appreciate the low humidity levels, followed by high humidity summers.

I am planning to swap my HRV for an ERV and will move the HRV into my fishroom. Overkill I know, but I will already have it, so I might as well use it. This will allow me to separately ventilate the fishroom.

Dennis
Interesting, what are you outdoor humidity levels like? Seems like a good problem to have vs high humidity.
Here in FL, I have high indoor humidity but even higher outdoor so sadly will need a dehumidifier and ERV

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I saw this post. So one day I just noticed my house air felt “stale”. I went up to the attic and noticed a “ventilation controller” on my furnace. It was in the off position. I switched it on at a set interval. Pretty much forgot about it, until I noticed one day, my ph on my apex reading 8.01!! Mind you I thought my new ph probe was junk because it never went above 7.7 and would dip even lower. Now I’m consistently 7.9 during the day. I turned it off for a few days and it dipped back down to original levels. Still trying to figure out how to consistently get outside air to my skimmer. The home is pretty sealed up. But this is a win I’ll take it

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, what are you outdoor humidity levels like? Seems like a good problem to have vs high humidity.
Here in FL, I have high indoor humidity but even higher outdoor so sadly will need a dehumidifier and ERV
Right now, I have 38% humidity indoors. I have my humidifier set to 40% on my furnace. When it gets super dry in here, it will sometimes drop to ~30%. I try to keep it between 40-45% for comfort.

In the summertime's, the humidity will be 60%+, with the AC running. For efficiency, an ERV would help then as well as the HRV is pulling humid air back into the house after the AC just got done dehumidifying it.

Dennis

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I have 38% humidity indoors. I have my humidifier set to 40% on my furnace. When it gets super dry in here, it will sometimes drop to ~30%. I try to keep it between 40-45% for comfort.

In the summertime's, the humidity will be 60%+, with the AC running. For efficiency, an ERV would help then as well as the HRV is pulling humid air back into the house after the AC just got done dehumidifying it.

Dennis

Exactly, would solve winter but not for summer. You'd end up in a swamp.

Seems like you're in the opposite boat in a way. Need an ERV and a humidifier in the winter (and maybe even dehumidifier in the summer :/) Could always boost that tank temp up and force more evap ha

I'm thinking about going with a Santa FE 120 ERV/Dehumidifier. Seems like it knocks out both issues but is hard on install. Even debating doing a Honeywell ERV first since they are $800-1000 less and seem easier to DIY then add a dehumidifier if needed.

Funny thing is, the humidity and CO2 monitoring have the wife onboard. If it was just a "need this to raise tank pH" I would've been shot down by now...

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, would solve winter but not for summer. You'd end up in a swamp.

Seems like you're in the opposite boat in a way. Need an ERV and a humidifier in the winter (and maybe even dehumidifier in the summer :/) Could always boost that tank temp up and force more evap ha

I'm thinking about going with a Santa FE 120 ERV/Dehumidifier. Seems like it knocks out both issues but is hard on install. Even debating doing a Honeywell ERV first since they are $800-1000 less and seem easier to DIY then add a dehumidifier if needed.

Funny thing is, the humidity and CO2 monitoring have the wife onboard. If it was just a "need this to raise tank pH" I would've been shot down by now...
For summer, I will have the option of shutting the HRV down and piggybacking the fishroom on the ERV from the house. I guess it will depend on how humid it gets in there.

I went with a HRV because that is what I had in my last house. ERV's were not yet out when I put that unit in, but since then, ERV's have now become available and I should have went with that for this house. Oh well.

Yes, your wife will love the effect of the ERV on the indoor air quality. Once you have one, you will never want to go without one ever again. Especially if you are a pet owner!

Dennis

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For summer, I will have the option of shutting the HRV down and piggybacking the fishroom on the ERV from the house. I guess it will depend on how humid it gets in there.

I went with a HRV because that is what I had in my last house. ERV's were not yet out when I put that unit in, but since then, ERV's have now become available and I should have went with that for this house. Oh well.

Yes, your wife will love the effect of the ERV on the indoor air quality. Once you have one, you will never want to go without one ever again. Especially if you are a pet owner!

Dennis

A dog, 3 cats and an abundance of air purifiers across the house... Ha

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. a lot of good info yall. I just would like to update everyone on the impact of my large exhaust fan install. here are three pics (before) during and after installation. you can clearly see my old normal ph levels (7.8? -8.03), then the rise after installation, and my new normal levels (8.0-8.2) I will take this as a win.
i have yet to install my fresh air intake not sure where to install it, I also have backed off on the " pulling fresh air from the crawl" space. research says
  • Install the air inlet duct in a location with the shortest, most direct path possible to the air handler unit, HRV, or ERV.
this is pushing me to a location that is 4' (hor) (5' ver) away from my return in the hallway and located in the ceiling, with ductwork running to a soffit vent or attic vent. this would be in line with the "shortest, most direct path possible to my air handler unit, HRV, or ERV" this would allow for a good pull of fresh air into the home and it would also get filtered better than fresh air being pulled into my return air duct. and since my fish room is right beside my air return I believe this would be a good location for a fresher air zone. See last pic. X marks the spot. In the bend of my hallway.
I'm still wondering if a larger fresh air vent will take me where I want to be on ph and that is 8.2-8.3. but never less I do see benefits in exhausting air from the home on ph.
Screenshot_20220128-102839_Gallery.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG
49721889_342322949938130_7204618432845709312_n.jpg

20220128_102156.jpg

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I’m really considering a Santa Fe Dehumidifier with built in ERV. Only thing is the install costs are insane. $1,700 unit costs beyond.”

I would look at the April Air Dehumidifiers. I was a Santa Fe guy myself, till I looked at their changes in their warranty. Also I wouldn’t hook the dehumidifier to the Air Exchange unit. Try to get an Air Exchange unit with a Desiccant Wheel.

For outside air for Aquarium CO2 control, I found out a Small Modified Air Pump produced the best results.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I’m really considering a Santa Fe Dehumidifier with built in ERV. Only thing is the install costs are insane. $1,700 unit costs beyond.”

I would look at the April Air Dehumidifiers. I was a Santa Fe guy myself, till I looked at their changes in their warranty. Also I wouldn’t hook the dehumidifier to the Air Exchange unit. Try to get an Air Exchange unit with a Desiccant Wheel.

For outside air for Aquarium CO2 control, I found out a Small Modified Air Pump produced the best results.

I was told Aprilaire as the other option for sure, admittedly haven't read through warranties. What changes?

I've been told in the climate I live in (Florida) that adding dehumidifiers to HVAC is beneficial. Unfamiliar with a desiccant model - any you recommend?

As for venting to gain pH boost. I have my skimmer drawing outside air through a 1" pipe. While there's some difference I think it is insuffient to overcome the CO2 in my home and the surface area of my reef in my living room.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my fresh air inlet is now installed. i also upgraded my skimmer tubing size to 3/8 I'd and I stalled it to the fresh air intake.a few days will tell use something. It seems to be exhausting air instead of pulling air in.
20220128_153520.jpg

20220128_153528.jpg

20220128_152301.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, intake and exhaust. I have an inline fan on order, so once it arrives I will be able to control the intake side. at the moment the air intake is working as an exhaust vent---- hot air rises kinda thing?????. also when it warms up I will install dedicated vents in my roof for both. Vader is harddd to work for.

CLOUDLINE T4, QUIET INLINE DUCT FAN SYSTEM WITH TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONTROLLER, 4-INCH​

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this one but got mine thru a friend who is a trane dealer.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have made my self a little more clear on the desiccant. The Air Exchange Units are available in certain models with desiccant wheels. This greatly controls the transfer of humidity. IE the desiccant will pick up the humidity from the air coming in. The Air going out will pull this moisture back out of the wheel. Some units the wheels can be swapped out with a desiccant or a non-desiccant wheel. On the Santa Fe you had to purchase the warranty separately, that was included with the April Aire. BTW They do make dehumidifiers that use Desiccant. They are designed with a revolving Cartridge with the Desiccant in the wheel. The Cartridge Wheel turns slowly, moist air is blown into the desiccant. The wheel turn to a heat source that blows hot air across the Desiccant driving the moisture out. These units are highly specialized and not commonly used in residences.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i priced an erv and a hrv. studied the process for pulling in fresh air. I NO EXPERT.. BUTTTTTT
The total cost of my diy hrv/erv / aka fresh air set up is under 550 bucks.
exhaust vent 250
all ductwork and asscories needed ---150
vent fan with smart controller including humidity control 130..
cost to install vents, ductwork and fan in home 0

that being said why would one pay 1-3 k for a device erv/hrv that functions, in the same manner, to pull fresh air in and push stall air out thats a serious question by the way I'm not mocking anyone.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference in an HRV/ERV and installing discrete intake and exhaust ventilation is the capture and transfer of heat and energy from the outgoing air to the incoming air. Depending on the extremes of the climate where one is located, this can become the difference between nice to have and mandatory. In my case, it was -18C this morning, so recovering the heat in the exhaust air makes the incoming air only cool, not ice cold.

Dennis

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference in an HRV/ERV and installing discrete intake and exhaust ventilation is the capture and transfer of heat and energy from the outgoing air to the incoming air. Depending on the extremes of the climate where one is located, this can become the difference between nice to have and mandatory. In my case, it was -18C this morning, so recovering the heat in the exhaust air makes the incoming air only cool, not ice cold.

Dennis
This is exactly the reason

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for sharing this journey @david campbell . I'm heading down a potential WhisperQuiet ERV route myself for the reasons discussed here as I'm a new Efficiency Home i.e. sealed up good. =)

Question to your placement. I see you have it in the hallway. Wouldn't the ERV be most efficient in the room where your tank is thus most direct benefit? I presume installation effort/difficulty might be part of the decision but you still see the benefits?

My tank is in my home office. Odd thing I noticed was the ceiling has BOTH a traditional AC vent *also* has what appears to be a passive exhaust of some sort. Not a bathroom like exhaust, but seems to suggest some air exchange.

2nd related question: I see the AC Infinity booster fan that you mentioned. How did that help? I'm thinking I might try to boost the inbound or outbound first to see what it does. I might already have some sort of exchange, but just needs to be boosted.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back