PH on the drop - Can't seem to isolate cause, any suggestions?

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through this thread, may have missed this already.

Have you double-checked the apex numbers with another method/probe to validate the pH readings?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm toying with the idea of adding an additional probe to compare the ph of effluent once it leaves my second c02 reactor chamber to compare it with ph levels inside my reactor.
Just a comment on that sentence.

While the pH can indicate whether the CO2 you are adding is being used as efficiently as possible, it does not indicate what the pH effect will be on the aquarium. A second chamber pH will be higher, but unless you alter the CO2 added somehow, it still all ends up in the tank, potentially lowering pH to the same degree. It’s just a matter of how much alk and calcium it carries along with the CO2.

OP
OP
brahm

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a comment on that sentence.

While the pH can indicate whether the CO2 you are adding is being used as efficiently as possible, it does not indicate what the pH effect will be on the aquarium. A second chamber pH will be higher, but unless you alter the CO2 added somehow, it still all ends up in the tank, potentially lowering pH to the same degree. It’s just a matter of how much alk and calcium it carries along with the CO2.

Thanks, that is my thought process. I'm doing this to add a level of redundancy. My apex controls how much c02 is added to my calcium reactor based on the PH levels inside the reactor, in theory, I have my reactor dialed to where I believe it should be without that, and it's more a failsafe. But if the probe starts to wander and I erred in the setup process, I could be adding more c02 into the reactor than needed. My media hasn't turned to mush, but I am curious.

OP
OP
brahm

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the plunge, today my new skimmer showed up. A huge upgrade for me. Not sure how but I managed to shoehorn in an Elite 220 int skimmer into my sump and I also added a large c02 reactor. It's only been a couple of hours and I'm already seeing my PH start to rise. Guess we'll see where I end up in a week or two. I'm hoping I don't burn through the media like crazy.

OP
OP
brahm

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been less than 24 hours it's looking promising. This morning's low is higher than my highs for the past how many months now? (Edit: I meant C02 Scrubber not reactor above)

1657119376210.png

I have to say @Randy Holmes-Farley I'm a little disappointed in you. Next time I see someone ask a question I want your first response to be "Have you tried throwing copious amounts of money at it?" hahaha jk ;)

As far as the original issue. In theory, I could test my original skimmer with the c02 scrubber and test the new skimmer without it. Which will tell me if the issue is c02 getting pulled in, or my original skimmer not working as well as it should anymore, but at this point, I'm going to be happy with my PH returning to what it was, and start working on the "help my ph is to high" thread.

Last edited:

WRLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brahm have you stolen my PH? Look what happened to mine in the last couple of days. My thinking is that my Dastaco calcium reactor has a fault on the integra controller, because the swings are too violent. I have calibrated the probe which is only 8 weeks old.
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.12.16.png
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.12.53.png
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.13.16.png

OP
OP
brahm

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brahm have you stolen my PH? Look what happened to mine in the last couple of days. My thinking is that my Dastaco calcium reactor has a fault on the integra controller, because the swings are too violent. I have calibrated the probe which is only 8 weeks old.
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.12.16.png
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.12.53.png
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 11.13.16.png
Hmm that is interesting I have been wondering if I was also experiencing issues with the calcium reactor over gassing as well, maybe the c02 controller getting stuck. I’ve noticed that my ph in the calcium reactor is much more consistent now where as before it would spike up as new water was brought into the reactor.

but I also had to mess with it as the probe needs calibration before I couldn’t melt media unless I was at 6.3 now it’s at 6.5 (same media) so I gotta assume the probe has drifted some

1657297215925.png

I’m not familiar with his that reactor and controller work I’ll have to look it up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought 3:40 and on was interesting to this conversation. he also talks about probe calibration is prob worth listening to

ACI aquaculture on Kalk

hope these help, it is a bit puzzling…

FWIW, ACI does not understand kalkwasser, and I would not suggest listening to them. They completely misunderstand the chemistry, and continue to claim they are right even after someone tried to correct them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back