pH over 8.6

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey. Used my hannah checker todya and got a blinking reading of 8.6. I usually have a reading of 8.1. I started putting kalwasser in my ATO but I put a minor amount. My ATO holds about 2.5 gallons and I put 1/4 of a teaspoon of kalkwasser. I dilted the ATO now.

Everything looks super fine. I started dosing about 4 weeks ago and this is the forst reading I did. I was worried with all my corals that cal and alk would start dropping.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to do a water change? Again everything looks fine

image.jpg

Corals.com

Garf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey. Used my hannah checker todya and got a blinking reading of 8.6. I usually have a reading of 8.1. I started putting kalwasser in my ATO but I put a minor amount. My ATO holds about 2.5 gallons and I put 1/4 of a teaspoon of kalkwasser. I dilted the ATO now.

Everything looks super fine. I started dosing about 4 weeks ago and this is the forst reading I did. I was worried with all my corals that cal and alk would start dropping.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to do a water change? Again everything looks fine

image.jpg
All is good as long as your Alk hasn’t gone through the roof. Have you calibrated your meter?

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Retest with the other vial, wipe before both checks in colorimeter.
Put vial in same orientation each time using 10ml text at line

Reef Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I wouldn't worry about the reading you are getting. I recently bought a Hanna Checker for PH and then learned it has a +/- Accuracy of .2. I bought it for a Fish only and Frag tank that have no monitor. My Reef tank Tank PH monitor says 8.3 and Hanna checker PH tester just blinks and blinks at 8.6.

I don't think this particular Hanna checker is very accurate, although I do like their Alkalinity and ULR Phosphate checkers.

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.0%