Ph probe calibration fluid at 6.86 and 9.18?

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probe I bought came with calibration fluid with these values. Are they ok even if they're not exactly 7 and 10?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Pinpoint brand pH calibration solution. The reading is temperature dependent.
There's a temperature correction table on the back of the packages stating what pH reading you will get @ a specific Celsius or Fahrenheit

The tables don't go as low as as 6.86 or 9.18, and even at 6.974 and 9.873 your solution would need to be over 100F

I'd consult your controller manual and confirm how you are supposed to calibrate your probe

1590629457932.png

1590629477391.png

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, personally I'd say NO it's not OK that they're that far off.
The farther off the calibration the more unreliable the reading will be.
I always try to get mine within a couple hundredths - such as 9.98 or 7.02 for example - but usually I'm able to get them bang on.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your protocol? did you rinse with RO and shake excess off water off before calibration as well as inbetween switching from each calibration fluid packet? not doing so will skew calibration, also what monitoring device are you using/calibrating? its important to remember you arent really calibrating the probe, but more so you are calibrating the device itself.

OP
OP
A

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your protocol? did you rinse with RO and shake excess off water off before calibration as well as inbetween switching from each calibration fluid packet? not doing so will skew calibration, also what monitoring device are you using/calibrating? its important to remember you arent really calibrating the probe, but more so you are calibrating the device itself.
No I haven't calibrated the probe yet. Wasn't sure if I should with those calibration solutions. I guess I'll wait until I get the 7.0 and 10.0 ones from BRS.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-reading your original post, I'd say you could attempt to use what came with the probe, but only if your controller will let you set those exact values.
You could put the probe in the fluids and see what the controller reads, just for fun.
But ya, I'd wait until you get your order.

What unit did you buy?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back