PH reef Buffer made my coral spit out slime

LuisLpz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added ph buffer to my reef tank and as soon as I dropped it in my corals began to release some white slime so I blown it all off with a turkey baster. I don’t know what else I could do to help them they look in really bad shape and will never used that again. I added enough to just raise ph .1 I did not dilute it before adding so I’m think it burned them is there any hope they’ll live

C7814E28-9441-4716-9620-E0342E6309E9.jpeg 798AC3A4-1EF4-495C-B935-F4A71311965D.jpeg 605E27F7-5DD5-4433-8C65-A99429161021.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,not good, looks like burned some corals ,some will recover,i hope.best wishes
also noticed spots on tang??

Upvote 0

vest596

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you can raise ph without dosing things by using surface agitation, skimmer, lighting, fresh air. What product did you specifically use? What are the ingredients ?

Upvote 0

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was probably seachams ph buffer did the same to mine. Did not kill or damage them, they just did not like it. What I learned is not to chase ph. People have told me 7.8, 8.0 is fine. Also test p.h after lights have been on for awhile. Alk also a role in your p.h so use a salt that is high in alk. So raising your alk will increase your ph, at least thats what I got out of all the information I have been collecting. Once you have your alk at the highest you can, you safely maintain it that way. Correct me if I’m wrong. For water top offs I make sure to use the p.h buffer just a little bit to raise the p.h of the freshwater that I’m adding. Also added cheato they says that helps with p.h. My p.h has been 8.0,8.1 during the day night 7.8 and my fish/ inverts and corals are doing great. And my zoas pop out babies like crazy so 7.8,8 is perfectly fine. Hope that helps, sorry about my horrible grammar

Upvote 0

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy who set up my tank used that for a few months until I realized he really didn’t know what he was doing. There’s really no reason to need to use that so I stopped. Getting ph correct really doesn’t need any chemicals. Live and learn. Happens to us all.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back