PH to high? 8.4 to 8.65 daily

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not everyone has this issue but my PH bounces between 8.4 to 8.65 daily. Is this too high? what would be a better range. I have outside air to my skimmer and could shut it off completely or only turn it on at night. I run kalk which after running outside air is giving me this high ph. Corals look good. It's an easy thing to adjust for me. That's why I am asking.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's fine (if accurate) as long as you do not see problematic calcium carbonate precipitation. If you want to lower it, going back to inside air may help.

fzs122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BrandonS, what are you using to measure pH? I only ask because I, too, have high pH (only it is all the time), and my Hanna meter can't measure above 8.6. It regularly flashes 8.6 for me meaning "higher than 8.6". I've used Hanna Calibration Fluid to confirm it is reading correctly. And, @Randy Holmes-Farley, what should one do if they do have consistently high pH and calcium carbonate precipitation? The tank in question doesn't have a fresh air supply and I spend much of the day in the closed room with it (chasing ever plummeting Alk, Ca and Mg with very little coral to consume it). #flummoxed

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is more likely malfunctioning than that your pH is really above 8.6

I discuss lowering pH as well as raising it in my article in the sticky at the top of the chem page, but the easiest answer is more aeration. If alk is below 9 dKH, complete aeration with any type of normal air will have pH well below 8.4.

if the alk is very high, let it drop, and use low pH alk supplements when you do supplement.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BrandonS, what are you using to measure pH? I only ask because I, too, have high pH (only it is all the time), and my Hanna meter can't measure above 8.6. It regularly flashes 8.6 for me meaning "higher than 8.6". I've used Hanna Calibration Fluid to confirm it is reading correctly. And, @Randy Holmes-Farley, what should one do if they do have consistently high pH and calcium carbonate precipitation? The tank in question doesn't have a fresh air supply and I spend much of the day in the closed room with it (chasing ever plummeting Alk, Ca and Mg with very little coral to consume it). #flummoxed
I use a pinpoint ph sensor off my hydros controller.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact issue.im currently not dosing Kalk and my ph runs from 8.4 to 8.65 on the regular .i test it with a Hanna checker ,Hanna ph meter ,API,Red Sea and my apex .all are consistent.im just wondering why its so high all of a sudden and I couldn’t reach 8.2 ph for the longest time .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact issue.im currently not dosing Kalk and my ph runs from 8.4 to 8.65 on the regular .i test it with a Hanna checker ,Hanna ph meter ,API,Red Sea and my apex .all are consistent.im just wondering why its so high all of a sudden and I couldn’t reach 8.2 ph for the longest time .

If it is accurate (I’m not convinced since the calibration fluid may be the issue) it just means low CO2 or very high alkalinity. Low CO2 may be from photosynthesis or high pH alk additives and not so strong aeration.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is accurate (I’m not convinced since the calibration fluid may be the issue) it just means low CO2 or very high alkalinity. Low CO2 may be from photosynthesis or high pH alk additives and not so strong aeration.
Alkalinity is at 8.94 ,Cal 505, and Mag is 1440 .PH is 8.39 . I haven’t dosed Kalkwasser in 2 days and I haven’t had PH lower than 8.35 . I know how hard it is to reach 8.3 PH and I said it hasn’t been lower than 8.3 for 2 days ,I’m not sure if I overdosed on kakwasser .i have done multiple tests on all paremeters with multiple test kits .corals and fish look fine and eating well .i will perform 2 large water changes and see if this will restablize the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is at 8.94 ,Cal 505, and Mag is 1440 .PH is 8.39 . I haven’t dosed Kalkwasser in 2 days and I haven’t had PH lower than 8.35 . I know how hard it is to reach 8.3 PH and I said it hasn’t been lower than 8.3 for 2 days ,I’m not sure if I overdosed on kakwasser .i have done multiple tests on all paremeters with multiple test kits .corals and fish look fine and eating well .i will perform 2 large water changes and see if this will restablize the tank

Those values are fine. I would not be concerned about pH up to 8.55 or a bit more.

Water changes won’t help. PH is determined only by CO2 and alk.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got good aeration.dosing Red Sea reef foundation alk ,cal and mag and that’s it .nothing over 30ML daily .using Red Sea coral pro salt .all other parameters are good .my thing is I was never able to have a steady 8.1 PH but after inserting the crushed coral it shot up to 8.4-8.6 .I removed the crushed coral from sump and it’s still at 8.4 -8.5 .im very pleased im reaching those numbers even though i have seen countless of your videos say not to chase numbers lol .i just want to know what caused the spike .im assuming it will eventually drop .thanks for your help !!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got good aeration.dosing Red Sea reef foundation alk ,cal and mag and that’s it .nothing over 30ML daily .using Red Sea coral pro salt .all other parameters are good .my thing is I was never able to have a steady 8.1 PH but after inserting the crushed coral it shot up to 8.4-8.6 .I removed the crushed coral from sump and it’s still at 8.4 -8.5 .im very pleased im reaching those numbers even though i have seen countless of your videos say not to chase numbers lol .i just want to know what caused the spike .im assuming it will eventually drop .thanks for your help !!!

I'm guessing it is an inaccurate pH measurement. High pH in the absence of high pH alk additives almost always is test error. :)

As a general rule, pH never gets too high without high pH alk additives if there is any reasonable flow.

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it is an inaccurate pH measurement. High pH in the absence of high pH alk additives almost always is test error. :)

As a general rule, pH never gets too high without high pH alk additives if there is any reasonable flow.
Agreed and that's why I'm baffled. My Apex say 8.4 to 8.5 ,Hanna 8.6 ,Hanna pocket tester 8.4, red sea ph test 8.5 Salifert Ph test 8.4-8.6 , API 8.8 . i have calibrated my PH probe twice and even swapped out probes for two different PH probes and they are all consistent

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about getting a new calibration fluid? Old pH 10 fluids drop in pH as CO2 enters, giving false high readings on any device calibrated with it.

If real, more aeration will lower the aquarium pH.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back