PH

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop breathing! :oops:

A drop in pH is caused by carbon dioxide in the water (assuming proper levels of alk/calc/mag.) Anything you can do to lower CO2 will help raise pH. Opening a window or drawing air to your skimmer from the outside are two common fixes.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlgaeBarn 's reply lit a light in my brain. The reason they asked that question is that algae (commonly chaetomorpha) in a refugium consumes CO2 during photosynthesis.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AlgaeBarn 's reply lit a light in my brain. The reason they asked that question is that algae (commonly chaetomorpha) in a refugium consumes CO2 during photosynthesis.
Gareth Bale Football GIF by UEFA

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium hydroxide dosed partially instead of sodium bicarb gets it as high as I want. I dont have enough tank evap for kalk. Not enough spare nutrients for chaeto.

If I run my AC for days my pH drops a tad and I dose some drain cleaner.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast surface movement, outside air to skimmer and a fan, blowing across the surface gives me 8.2-8.3ph.
C02 scrub but that can get a bit expensive for some folks.

Gabz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys keep your PH up?
There's essentially two ways to keep pH up.
1. Buffer with something. This is the option that is currently used in my lab. We connected a solenoid valve to a container with NaOH, then plugged it into the Apex. When pH goes low, it automatically administers some. Less techy options, I've seen people add coral skeletons or limestone to their filter/tank, or use pet store buffers. Be warned, all of this can drive up alkalinity.
2. Remove CO2 from the water by buying/building a CO2 scrubber. I'm working on this right now to replace option one. Basically, ambient air is bubbled through something, I'm working with NaOH mixed with Ca(OH)2, then that air is then bubbled into the tank. They sell CO2 scrubbers for this purpose, but they (and the fill stuff) can be a little pricey.
Opening a window can help, but I don't have any outside windows in my lab. We placed a fan to blow at the surface of the water, and this has been helping with gas exchange a bit. Also, keep your skimmer clean!
Hope this helps! Happy reefing!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a CO2 Scrubber - gets my pH up to 8.35 and that's with a Calcium reactor putting lower pH back into the aquarium.

Cheap, easy to setup, and if you recirculate the Scrubber air through the skimmer cup, the media lasts months.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbler won’t get your pH up. You will be pulling in same air around aquarium. To get pH up you need to get oxygen up and CO2 down. This can be done by pulling in outside air or adding CO2 scrubber.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back