Pharmaceutical grade chemicals to add

gdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was talking today with my pharmacist (great guy) about getting a strong hydrogen peroxide solution to toothbrush incoming frag plugs, I thought of pharmaceutical grade chemicals. I thought of giving him the following list and getting a x100 concentration solution for each...
I am planning on starting a ICP triton test every 3 months, and I want to be able to do something about the results.
  1. Barium .1ppb or 15μg/l
  2. Calcium 5ppm or 450mg/l
  3. Cobalt 2ppb or 2μg/l
  4. Iodine .5ppb or 80μg/l
  5. Iron 1ppb or ,2μg/l
  6. Lanthanum 1ppb or 10μg/l
  7. Magnesium 15ppm or 1300mg/l
  8. Manganese 1ppb or .2μg/l
  9. Molybdenum 1ppb or 10μg/l
  10. Potassium 5ppm or 400mg/l
  11. Selenium 1ppb or 4μg/l
  12. Strontium .1ppm or 8mg/l
  13. Zink 2μg/l
  14. Boron (boric acid) 5mg/l
  15. bromine 60mg/l
  16. fluoride 1mg/l
  17. phosphate (PO₄³⁻) .03mg/l
  18. Sulfate 900mg/l
  19. Vanadium 4μg/l

PS he is getting for me a hydrogen peroxide solution of 35% instead of the 3%, but I will need to stop using single use gloves, and go for something much better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pharmaceutical grade is not necessarily better (or worse) than food grade, which is cheap and readily available for many of these. ACS AR (Analytical reagent) grade is also a high purity grade that is sometimes available. Amazon carries many of these.

Also, bear in mind the amount added. A 100 ppm bad impurity in iron is way, way less of a concern than a 100 ppm bad impurity in calcium because you add vastly more calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am not sure of how to get ACS AR or food grade... I will try...
Amazon is not as helpful in Greece as it is in Massachusetts....

Ah, yes, I'm not sure what you have locally, but searching amazon for, say, "food grade sodium nitrate" for nitrate dosing comes up with hits in the USA:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that used to be in food additive quality control, she might be able to help. Thank you for your help!

Some other choices are USP magnesium sulfate (from a drug store), iron supplement tablets for people (I recommend Fergon brand), Potassium chloride salt substitute, etc.

Back