OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice @fishyj‼️ It’s good to hear.
I’m going to try and not chase numbers but it’s hard with these Hanna checkers. Lol. I shii on upset have bought them. I’m just a nerd for accuracy compared to the api strips I was using.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I found the trick to the hood warping in the center. On the light closest to the front loosen the front screws. My lid is working fine now.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an email reply from fluval asking for receipts and images of the bowed lid. Sent them what they requested so we’ll see what the response is.
Also moved over two ocellaris clownfish and a royal dottyback from the QT to the Flex. And tested for PO4 again, it’s higher at .44ppm.

guessing it’s because of the recent fish move in.

Received my order from saltwaterfish.com. So I added three nassarius snails. And have two green chromis, watchman goby, and Valentini puffer in the QT. I think I’m at my max for fish.

I’ll test PO4 again tomorrow or so and possibly do another 5 gallon water change.

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an email reply from fluval asking for receipts and images of the bowed lid. Sent them what they requested so we’ll see what the response is.
Also moved over two ocellaris clownfish and a royal dottyback from the QT to the Flex. And tested for PO4 again, it’s higher at .44ppm.

guessing it’s because of the recent fish move in.

Received my order from saltwaterfish.com. So I added three nassarius snails. And have two green chromis, watchman goby, and Valentini puffer in the QT. I think I’m at my max for fish.

I’ll test PO4 again tomorrow or so and possibly do another 5 gallon water change.
Im curious on your valentini puffer. I have the same tank as you and was looking at possibly getting one in the future. Update when he is in your DT?

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious on your valentini puffer. I have the same tank as you and was looking at possibly getting one in the future. Update when he is in your DT?
Will do! Here he is enjoying the PVC piping in QT. He’s got a couple more weeks in QT then he’ll make the move.
FC83E198-822B-46CA-81B3-0962256D17DE.jpeg

How has the P04 been?
thanks for the interest! It’s still at .9ppm. I’ve done a 20%ish water change and didn’t dent it. Also added some Seachem Phosguard in a bag a day or so ago and using these phosphate remover filter pieces made for an HOB filter.
About to test again after getting a refill on the HI774-0 reagent powder for my Hanna checker.
Aside from that, everything seems okay in the tank. Clowns are clowning, Royal dottyback is still a Dick, and the pistol shrimp is bunkered in.

As for the QT, the green chromis, they didn’t make it. One died day of arrival and the other the following day. I haven’t had the best luck with saltwaterfish.com

And a quick intro video I made for my tank

Last edited:

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! Here he is enjoying the PVC piping in QT. He’s got a couple more weeks in QT then he’ll make the move.
FC83E198-822B-46CA-81B3-0962256D17DE.jpeg

thanks for the interest! It’s still at .9ppm. I’ve done a 20%ish water change and didn’t dent it. Also added some Seachem Phosguard in a bag a day or so ago and using these phosphate remover filter pieces made for an HOB filter.
About to test again after getting a refill on the HI774-0 reagent powder for my Hanna checker.
Aside from that, everything seems okay in the tank. Clowns are clowning, Royal dottyback is still a Dick, and the pistol shrimp is bunkered in.

As for the QT, the green chromis, they didn’t make it. One died day of arrival and the other the following day. I haven’t had the best luck with saltwaterfish.com

And a quick intro video I made for my tank

Appreciate the reply. Puffer is looking good btw

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far!!
How do you like the InTank Media Holders and that Fuge Light? What is the light spill like?
I'm thinking of the same kind of setup for my AIO

OutLawX77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting I’m currently using the Fluval Aquasky light that came with the tank. I ordered a Fluval Marine 3.0 light that fits the stock lid a few weeks ago and just received an email that it shipped! So that’ll be going in once it arrives.
yah I wish they made the 3.0 marine light for the 13.5 EVO stock lid. This is my Hospital / Quarantine tank.
I got this tank at petco also. Got a killer deal The EVO AIO tank with a PS2 mini protein some (4)Cheapo thermometers
all for $194 US. Everyone else wanted 249 plus 100-159 or so for the skimmer
I read on there web site that these skimmers, could take up to 2 weeks or more depending upon bioload to breakin.
Sounds like you get it going in the right direction Cool.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far!!
How do you like the InTank Media Holders and that Fuge Light? What is the light spill like?
I'm thinking of the same kind of setup for my AIO
Thanks! I really like the inTank media baskets! I like how they direct the flow of the filtration compared to the stock sponge blocks. Light spill isn’t bad. I have the fuge light on overnight so it gets turned on right before heading up for bed then turned off before I make coffee. lol. Here’s a pic of the light spill.
65273E78-F783-4633-8B24-E5AFED4A6ED6.jpeg

yah I wish they made the 3.0 marine light for the 13.5 EVO stock lid. This is my Hospital / Quarantine tank.
I got this tank at petco also. Got a killer deal The EVO AIO tank with a PS2 mini protein some (4)Cheapo thermometers
all for $194 US. Everyone else wanted 249 plus 100-159 or so for the skimmer
I read on there web site that these skimmers, could take up to 2 weeks or more depending upon bioload to breakin.
Sounds like you get it going in the right direction Cool.
Sounds like you scored a great deal! I’ve been taking advantage of Petco’s 25% off $50 pick up orders lately as well.
I’m thinking about getting Fluvals small Marine 3.0 light for my Spec V hospital tank. But I remind myself it’s just the QT. Lol. I do like having these lights app controlled so they turn on/off via the schedule. Which would be nice for the QT.
I’d say it took a week or so for my skimmer to break in? Had a lot of micro bubbles the first few days but I just have it time and they went away. My skimmate has definitely gotten a lot darker over time. So I think it’s doing it’s job. Thanks for the comment though! I’m hoping it keeps going in the right direction. Just need to figure out this phosphate issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... in an effort to reduce my tanks phosphates I did water change after water change today. Pretty much changed water, waited for RODI to fill, mixed salt, changed water, repeat. For about 16 gallons.
I tested PO4 after a couple water changes and went from .9 to .61 to .53 to .52 ppm.

some other parameters I tested after the last change:

Magnesium 1290ppm
Calcium 440ppm
Alkalinity 9.9dKH
pH 8.6

Like an idiot while siphoning I knocked my forest fire digitata Monti and broke it! I superglued it back on in hopes of saving it. The tiny polyps are starting to come back out so I’m hoping it can repair itself.
F440C08F-BB57-4EDC-82E9-C0B184E4A571.jpeg

other than that, I think I’m done water changing for the day. With only a slight drop in the last two PO4 tests I feel like I’m changing out just as much new water as old.

I’ve still got the phosguard bag, and phosphate filter inserts for an HOB in the baskets so hopefully that will reduce it more.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try checking your ro water and after you mix your saltwater.
Great idea! Just checked and the RODI water came to .04ppm ...that doesn’t seem right.

shouldn’t the target be less than .03ppm?

I just ran out of my Fritz salt and picked up some reef crystals today. I may try more water changes tomorrow.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured the high phosphate issue was a good reason to upgrade the return pump. I installed a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 today. Hopefully that pulls more water through the Chemipure Blue bags and provides more filtration overall. Thankfully the PS1 skimmer still fit as well.

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured the high phosphate issue was a good reason to upgrade the return pump. I installed a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 today. Hopefully that pulls more water through the Chemipure Blue bags and provides more filtration overall. Thankfully the PS1 skimmer still fit as well.
Was everything "plug and play" with the new return pump? or did you have to buy different attachments? Im thinking of upgrading mine as well maybe in the future

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was everything "plug and play" with the new return pump? or did you have to buy different attachments? Im thinking of upgrading mine as well maybe in the future

As LSUHunter mentioned everything was plug and play thankfully. Just removed the stock pump and the tube fits the Sicce attachment as intended.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the puffer and goby made the move to the DT tonight. Unfortunately, the goby was taken by the nem after the dotty back started picking on it. ☹️
Puffer seems to be doing okay. Just swimming around exploring it’s new home.

Phosphates are still a pain. Got them down to .71ppm and now they’re down to .57ppm.

ackermsb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to start any trouble here but setting up the same tank and wondering if it is an appropriate size for the puffer. I ask because I want one but wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back