OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to start any trouble here but setting up the same tank and wondering if it is an appropriate size for the puffer. I ask because I want one but wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks
I think they’re okay for the size tank. They say they only grow up to 4”. And I have no issue rehoming later down the line it if it looks like it’s outgrown the tank.

ClaynAlex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured the high phosphate issue was a good reason to upgrade the return pump. I installed a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 today. Hopefully that pulls more water through the Chemipure Blue bags and provides more filtration overall. Thankfully the PS1 skimmer still fit as well.
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the intank media baskets for the 32.5 flex. Is an upgraded pump "needed" in your opinion.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the puffer nip at your corals?
It’s nipped a bit but more so on the rock.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the intank media baskets for the 32.5 flex. Is an upgraded pump "needed" in your opinion.
I don’t think so. I ran without one for awhile. Only reason I upgraded was to attempt to get PO4 under control.

I say go for it, just buy small and if it gets too big, rehome it.
that’s what I’m thinking. If/ when he outgrows the tank I’ll rehome it.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my long tentacle anemone completely disappeared. No trace of him left. My Seachem ammonia alert badge hasn’t shown an increase in ammonia. I’m relatively confident it works as it changed colors when I used it in my QT.
All tank inhabitants seem to be doing well so I guess I shouldn’t be too worried my nem vanished? My best guess is the CUC went to work on him after he passed? It’s odd because the nem looked great as normal before it’s disappearance.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have moved to a spot you can’t see. I had one that relocated into a small hole and retracted.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have moved to a spot you can’t see. I had one that relocated into a small hole and retracted.
That would be great if it did. I just figured it would have expanded by now but it's been nearly a full day. I won't be heartbroken if it gave in to the circle of life. lol. It didn't host the clowns plus it gives me more room for corals. lol. Just as long as it doesn't cause any instability in the tank.

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed Neptune's Apex EL system on my tank! Had to take advantage of SWA's spring sale. Man am I a nerd for the control/monitoring of the system. There are so many features I'm sure it'll take me a while to get use to it. I will say the energy bar tidied up my plug situation compared to using a surge protector. I also like how I can set a feed cycle where it turns off certain outlets I specify. More about the Apex EL as I learn about it!

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear diary...lol

So I’m really enjoying the Apex EL. It’s interesting to see how a supplement can affect pH real-time. I’ve dosed Seachem’s Reef Carbonate and watched pH shoot up about .1.
AAEDC563-0F60-41D7-AF41-A3A8493ECA50.jpeg

I have my temp settings turn on the heater at 78 and turn off at 80. I’m curious if that is too much of a temp swing? It takes about 12 hours to drop from 80 to 78. So the heater doesn’t kick on but twice a day? If that?
72ED9580-6CF2-4A04-B054-C8E1DCA4C308.jpeg

My slimer from the recent @TCK Corals ”died” last night. I believe it gave in to rapid tissue necrosis. I noticed the lower half of it looked to have bleached out and the tissue was sloughing off. I had a mild panic attack and removed it from the tank immediately. It’s a bummer because it was a huge frag with a number of branch stubs beginning to form alongside the three branches that were already formed.
While being attacked by panic I googled and couldn’t find a definitive answer if RTN is now in the tank or can spread? I’m hoping not. I also realized during my panic that I didn’t get a photo of it before removing it from the tank.
2DCA4D51-9536-4331-97B4-48F56A0DCE85.jpeg

Aside from that, I turned my 5 gallon QT into a mixed reef pico. It’s got two tiny clowns, some chalices, favia, and a monti from the main tank. And I just added a torch from my LFS.
1CBA0CF6-4A1F-4D4D-A934-038D134617C8.jpeg

C4E73A39-1740-4AC8-875E-41CC060FAFC2.jpeg

Finally, I’ve been eyeing a new tank to add to the living room. Either the JBJ 45 or 65 gallon. I’ve got this weird outcrop/column separating the living room from the dining side.
7E99EC27-E526-4C1A-A4B0-2B57218689D2.jpeg

Instead of golf clubs I’m thinking a new tank?
The outcropping measures about 32” from moulding to moulding. The JBJ 45 measures 26.5” wide and would fit “inside” centered on the column.
The JBJ 65 measures 36” so when centered it would stick out a couple inches on either side.

After learning from my recent reentry into the hobby/addiction, I’m sure it’ll be an expensive endeavor. What to do, what to do...

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news! Check out the growth on my @WWC aussie slimer acropora! It’s not much but it has me excited! Pic on the left is from March 4th and the right is from this evening.
I was concerned my lighting may not be enough as I learn more and more about the hobby.
This growth occurred under the Fluval Marine 3.0 and an Aquasky light. I have a second Marine 3.0 light coming in to replace the Aquasky. So here’s to more growth!

AE4C568C-B68D-44FF-9B84-97BB42AE17DA.jpeg

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news! Check out the growth on my @WWC aussie slimer acropora! It’s not much but it has me excited! Pic on the left is from March 4th and the right is from this evening.
I was concerned my lighting may not be enough as I learn more and more about the hobby.
This growth occurred under the Fluval Marine 3.0 and an Aquasky light. I have a second Marine 3.0 light coming in to replace the Aquasky. So here’s to more growth!

AE4C568C-B68D-44FF-9B84-97BB42AE17DA.jpeg
Awesome before and after! Definite growth, and along the frag plug

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got my first bits of coralline algae forming in the tank! Mostly on the lower vents and some on the back wall. And some on my wave maker for some reason.

I’m also using a Kamoer X1 Pro 2 now for dosing Tropic Marin All For Reef.

Also added more frags. A number of zoas for the zoa rock mainly among a few others.

And last but big update... I bought a new Redsea Reefer XL300! This will be my first tank with a sump. Looking forward to making it an SPS dominant tank. I’ll start a new build thread for that when it comes!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back