Philips Coral Care has landed and we've got the data for how we would use it! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I truly appreciate DEAD silent reefing gear and the Philips Coral Care Gen2 is definitely that!

Today we test the Coral Care and their approach to create a more natural reef-like LED light with the complete run-down of how we recommend using it for your tank.

Last edited:

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't wait any longer so I just bought an ATI from you. That's what the Coral Care is trying to replicate anyway right?

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't wait any longer so I just bought an ATI from you. That's what the Coral Care is trying to replicate anyway right?
It's more like other companies replicating the coral care.
They where the first one with a plate design + diffuser... Look at the new radion and the ati straton now...

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more like other companies replicating the coral care.
They where the first one with a plate design + diffuser... Look at the new radion and the ati straton now...
The ATI came way before the Coral Care. I bought an ATI T5.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CC, IMO, is about replicating all the benefits of T5 while removing as many of the downsides to that platform as possible. People thinking these would be some blue monster actinic killers, I'm not sure what they've been reading since it hasn't been that way since the G1 four years ago and no one has been suggesting they would be.

U

User1

View Badges
It would be interesting to see how these compare to the gen 1 version of the light. Gen 1 is a lot larger and heavier. Very popular in EMEA market. Terrence has them over his tank and it is SPS dominated I believe (the gen 1's). These lights provide a clean installation, passive cooling, and best of all now power brick. That in of itself is a worthy consideration due to the safety it brings to the hobbyist home.

As far as more suited towards a mixed reef I am not sure I agree. I know the data suggests it to some degree but we are finding out more and more that there is more to the success of a reef tank than just PAR. What I do agree with is their size needs to be considered to see if they work for our application. Size of tank vs projected cover and par means you are limited to the number of panels we can install.

BRS - thank you for taking the time to do this. These actually because you do a lot of them. I think your review and information will be valuable to potential buyers. I also think Danna's review plus a few beta testers tanks will provide enough information to support buyers decisions. Buyers remorse, right? Anyway I think they have a lot going for them and if I was to switch from my Kessil a360x's I would pick these lights. I still may...

Biggest drawback would be the price tag. It may not be a factor since a lot of similar products are in the same price range. ATI's new light and then the Gen 5. Will be interesting but I think these are promising and I wish them success.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video and analysis. As a newbie I’m learning to appreciate the importance of lights this was really helpful. But as @DaneGer21 points out these could be a great simple solution for a mixed reef tank. But I’m not sure the cost vs value is there.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you control it without the wireless controller?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on order for a new 180 build that will encompass moving current inhabitants from a 135 currently lit by Orphek v4's. So there will be a direct comparison that will be interesting while both are running side by side.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on order for a new 180 build that will encompass moving current inhabitants from a 135 currently lit by Orphek v4's. So there will be a direct comparison that will be interesting while both are running side by side.

What made you move away from the orphek to these? I have an orphek on my WB 100.3 and while these are nice, I don’t think they would be an upgrade.

Last edited:

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS is there a difference between spread and shadowing performance? One of the upsides @Terence mentioned about his gen 1 x reefbrite setup is the impressive lack of shadowing. The radion gen 5s have better spread but would they have better shadowing performance in comparison to the coralcare gen2 as well? I would hypothesize that fixtures like the orphek and coral care have much better "real world", grown in tank use over point fixtures like kessil/hydra/radion just because of their form factor.

On the other hand I might be misunderstanding and maybe its as simple as better spread = less shadowing when the tank is grown in.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you move away from the orphek to these? I have an orphek on my WB 100.3 and those these are nice, I don’t think they would be an upgrade.
Like my Orpheks a lot but the bracing on the new tanks leave 3, 22 inch sections so the Phillips will fit perfectly. I also will be using two 150cm bars. With a mixed reef, placement may be more critical than before but not really concerned.

Back