Philips Coral Care has landed and we've got the data for how we would use it! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to rewatch the first 3 minutes of the video, it has a PAR well within SPS range over the entire tested surface. Philips just didn't design it around an 'American' colortemperature but around a 'European' colortemperature. So when you deviate from that you also lose performance, certainly when compared to a light designed around that 'American' colortemperature. And the two dial system is saving you money, as it prevents you from being ably to kill your corals by creating the wrong type of light as human eyes are bad at judging spectrum. And it certainly grows SPS, this tank used to run on gen1 and now on gen2 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-w-vreeswijk.232851/post-7974357
I guess you are right. It looked to me like at 6" only 60% of the tank was at the right PAR (12 minute mark in the Gen2 review) and it was mostly in the center. At 12" it was only about 43%. I thought the reefbrites they reviewed actually did better (I'll have to rereview). I still feel it is an expensive option. I don't really view less options as a perk. I look at new cars the same way. It doesn't matter if I use the option or not... I still compare one car to another based on what it offers. Nice tank by the way! Envious of the number of fish you have.

Last edited:

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you basing this on? The test results?

BRS is consistent with their tests and methodology. However, to report based on the data that the results favor soft and mixed / lps dominated reefs is a mistake. A lot of people don't know but there is a gen 1 of these lights that are very popular over in Europe. They are growing SPS without a hitch. In fact search on this forum for Terren's tank (Gilroy something or other) and let me know what you think. He has SPS frags growing out of the water using the Gen 1's.

There is more going on than just a par value. It is a reference to start with for sure. Also note that while the light may be 800 or so starting look at what it would cost to buy a similar watt light. For example a Kessil a360x is what, 90 watts? The Philips is 170? So you would be buying 2 x a360x for 1 Philips about the same cost. For example.

This light is sufficient for SPS and any form of reefing as is a Gen 5 radion, Kessil, or other if designed properly. This is a solid product. If i didn't have 4 a360x's I'd buy them just for the passive cooling and integrated power supply (less power bricks on the floor or mounting).

Just saying that they suggest they are better for a mixed reef tank (see 12 minute mark). BTW -- they are $899 not including tax. Like I said, close to $1k/light and you will need 2 for a 48" tank. The Gen 1 review and test results in the video provided in this thread --- actually looks better to me. I guess I created quite a stir here. Didn't mean to offend those that had them.

U

User1

View Badges
Just saying that they suggest they are better for a mixed reef tank (see 12 minute mark). BTW -- they are $899 not including tax. Like I said, close to $1k/light and you will need 2 for a 48" tank. The Gen 1 review and test results in the video provided in this thread --- actually looks better to me. I guess I created quite a stir here. Didn't mean to offend those that had them.

No, I don't think you offended anyone. I was only asking the reasoning behind not suited for SPS (yes, saw brs's comment). I'm not sure I would have tried to place the light into a specific reef type box but that is just my opinion. That and knowing there are successful tanks using the earlier version as well as other lighting and par is not the be all to a successful tank or light.

Price. Well, I'm not going to argue that at all. The current generation of lighting isn't cheap and I'm not sure how much of that is based on their initial design or markup from C-19 sadly. Everything seems to be going up (take a simple 2 x 4 piece of lumber...). XR15 that has 100 watts is 415 or so. Kessil a360x is 425 or so for 90 watts. Two of either of those equals a close price point in a single fixture. XR30 is also 800 plus. So pricing is somewhat near although not apples to apples obviously.

In any case you didn't offend anyone I don't believe. I think it always comes back to more to success than par, pricing, etc. Expensive hobby, right?

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think you offended anyone. I was only asking the reasoning behind not suited for SPS (yes, saw brs's comment). I'm not sure I would have tried to place the light into a specific reef type box but that is just my opinion. That and knowing there are successful tanks using the earlier version as well as other lighting and par is not the be all to a successful tank or light.

Price. Well, I'm not going to argue that at all. The current generation of lighting isn't cheap and I'm not sure how much of that is based on their initial design or markup from C-19 sadly. Everything seems to be going up (take a simple 2 x 4 piece of lumber...). XR15 that has 100 watts is 415 or so. Kessil a360x is 425 or so for 90 watts. Two of either of those equals a close price point in a single fixture. XR30 is also 800 plus. So pricing is somewhat near although not apples to apples obviously.

In any case you didn't offend anyone I don't believe. I think it always comes back to more to success than par, pricing, etc. Expensive hobby, right?

Unfortunately, we are now in a time where you never know. In retrospect, I should have been a bit more open-minded in my original post. I'm not entirely in the market for new lights, but one of my 5 AI Prime HDs is on the fritz. I've had them just about 3yrs. In any case, that has led me to reconsider what I should do next. I agree, it is not just PAR. That said, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what PAR I have at different levels in the tank with a PAR meter. So do I buy into the next thing or just buy a new AI Prime HD and calibrate it against my old lights? Frustratingly expensive. I honestly think it is holding the hobby back at this point.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef News Network had the guy that as been working on it since the beginning. It was a good podcast with lots of information. Worth listening to if your concidering this light.

I'm not sure if this works for my Reefer 250 but I'm looking into it. Kinda an odd foot print for my tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back