OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mishap? Oh, do tell!

OK. LONG STORY: Mishap might not be the correct word. More like DISASTER. lol. I was doing some wire management and the little lock nut shown with the red arrow was not tight enough and the T5 fixture tilted sending the Right Philips LED right off the T5 fixture, through my screen top and broke all my acros off the top of my scape on the right hand side. The LED was completely submerged in the water for approximately 8 minutes while I was screaming at the top of my lungs at 5am for my wife's assistance. The Philips CoralCare is IP65 rated and this was not in the plans to test. I immediately opened the entire Philips Led to inspect water damage and was pleasantly surprised to not see a single drop of water. I rinsed off the outside of the fixture and plugged it back in and it resumed the normal schedule like nothing ever happened. Don't know of any other LED light that would have survived this Nightmare. So let's just say Waterproofing test PASSED!!!!!!!!
20200518_095443 copy.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK. LONG STORY: Mishap might not be the correct word. More like DISASTER. lol. I was doing some wire management and the little lock nut shown with the red arrow was not tight enough and the T5 fixture tilted sending the Right Philips LED right off the T5 fixture, through my screen top and broke all my acros off the top of my scape on the right hand side. The LED was completely submerged in the water for approximately 8 minutes while I was screaming at the top of my lungs at 5am for my wife's assistance. The Philips CoralCare is IP65 rated and this was not in the plans to test. I immediately opened the entire Philips Led to inspect water damage and was pleasantly surprised to not see a single drop of water. I rinsed off the outside of the fixture and plugged it back in and it resumed the normal schedule like nothing ever happened. Don't know of any other LED light that would have survived this Nightmare. So let's just say Waterproofing test PASSED!!!!!!!!
20200518_095443 copy.jpg

OH Wow...
That is crazy..

Lucky it was IP65, could have got electrocuted..

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some wire management and the little lock nut shown with the red arrow was not tight enough

I had one of those get stuck while I was adjusting an ATI fixture, thankfully I caught it before it fell into the tank, but I haven't trusted them since. At least you can now be confident in the water resistant rating :D

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200518_095443 copy.jpg

That's incredible!

giphy.gif

tonino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200518_095443 copy.jpg

WoW! I am sorry that you suffered that accident. At least the Coral Care has not been damaged ... all caution is little when we play with our tank...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing - always glad to have Deven as a beta tester to provide great feedback and insights! He is one of the truly quality people in the industry!

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200518_095443 copy.jpg
Thank goodness it did not clip the edge or corner of the tank on the way down. With the weight of that thing you could have had a major catastrophe. I know with mine I worry all the time that i may slip and my hood might come crashing down on the top of the tank. The entire gantry must weight at least 75 pounds, right?

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness it did not clip the edge or corner of the tank on the way down. With the weight of that thing you could have had a major catastrophe. I know with mine I worry all the time that i may slip and my hood might come crashing down on the top of the tank. The entire gantry must weight at least 75 pounds, right?
It came within an inch of clipping the back of the tank. Tank is rimless so you are correct it would have been a major catastrophe. I saw your other post about the fixtures and weight on the Tiny aircraft cable which made me re consider my hanging option so THANK YOU for that.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came within an inch of clipping the back of the tank. Tank is rimless so you are correct it would have been a major catastrophe. I saw your other post about the fixtures and weight on the Tiny aircraft cable which made me re consider my hanging option so THANK YOU for that.
Glad it worked out like it did. The wire was one thing but I was also thinking about that clevis.

There is definitely a big tradeoff with these CC lights. I really do love my CoralCare and the wide spread of light and lack of shadows. Have not seen the latest one in person yet but the size (I don't get why even in this new version they have that big margin outside the LED themselves), weight, and awkwardness of fixture is its biggest achilles heel. I think the largest market in the USA for these will be those that can securely affix them above in-wall tanks or who have large canopies that allow for some sort of gantry.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH-OH troubles in River City---

In the scheme of things, no. Reef Hobbyist and Coral Magazines won't "stop the presses!" for a special news bulletin. But in my own little bubble, yeah! Philips sent lights to a handful of beta testers in the US and we gave them the go-ahead to talk about their experiences publicly. CoralCare Lead Developer @Luc Vogels saw their posts and recognized right away the lights weren't cranking up to full power. So now we're in the process of replacing one for Deven and getting @Scubabum's back to inspect/update later this week. Next time the testers measure PAR, it will be higher and more evenly distributed. They will get that T5 look and light balance with the correct intensity and spectral content for excellent coral growth. I think the natural light color and patterns on the sandbed may be jarring at first to hobbyists accustomed to heavy blues and the disco effect.

Last edited:
Back