Philips CoralCare Gen 2 - my tank journal

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this had been covered what is the dimensions of your tank?
Also what do you feed and how much for such a density.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any computers monitors on your tank? Like alkatronic? How often do you test your parameters. Reason I ask is because I am quite impressed that you have been able to keep such a pretty but small sps tank

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any computers monitors on your tank? Like alkatronic? How often do you test your parameters. Reason I ask is because I am quite impressed that you have been able to keep such a pretty but small sps tank

i just use apex to monitor ph and temp and run doser. I haven’t been testing frequently as of late, but typically test Alk and salinity several times a week.

I typically feed on my lunch break, after work, and about an hour before lights out.

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R fam!

This will be my last update to the CoralCare journal for the time being. I am upgrading tanks and sadly a single fixture would not meet my lighting requirements, simply due to dimensions. Two would be perfect, but alas, I’ve opted to run the new tank with equipment I already own rather than purchase all new equipment.

That being said, I still feel that the CoralCare is an EXCELLENT light and grows coral very well. Perhaps too well! The main reason for upgrading is that I was simply out of room - I had TOO much coral and it was getting to be a chore to keep many of them trimmed back. You won’t be seeing many montipora caps in the new tank..

I hope to run the CoralCare again someday soon - perhaps over a grow out! I have more plans than I have time or money, but there are many tank ideas I have that would the CoralCare would fit perfectly. I will definitely revive this thread as soon as I get the light back into rotation!

Big thanks to CoralVue for giving me the opportunity to test this light, and to all of you who have followed along. If you’re considering this light for your own tank, I definitely recommend it. My own advice is make sure you have a good spot to hang it, that is the most viable solution.

Here are some of the last pics I took of the tank with the CoralCare!

187D2DED-D257-4764-8DFF-2BED898BAA90.jpeg

A10C01EB-F397-4806-A5F9-70929DD5416E.jpeg
65D7B19F-B14E-4167-B6C0-0D5DD9B02EA0.jpeg
AE08B2FC-2FF8-4355-9423-28C79450F0EC.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, you need a monti cap sized tank! One where the growth that the Philips allows can be put to good use to have monti caps spreading as the under story below, with the acro forest above.

I agree that your tank looked packed. Awesome, but packed.

Dennis

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fantastic thread and documentation! I know this is older but definitely glad I grabbed a Coral Care during BRS' clearance that is going on. It will go over my wife's 50g. It's currently my 50g "test" tank but it's about to be taken down, cleaned and re setup. This light will be the shining star of the show...pun intended

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fantastic thread and documentation! I know this is older but definitely glad I grabbed a Coral Care during BRS' clearance that is going on. It will go over my wife's 50g. It's currently my 50g "test" tank but it's about to be taken down, cleaned and re setup. This light will be the shining star of the show...pun intended

Nice choice! You won’t regret it.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to add that I will be using these lights as well. I have a new 400 gallon build that Just went up July 2021. It will be a mixed reef with an emphasis of lps on the left and right side and the sps acros in the middle. Do you think the 3 lights will be enough? Or should I get 4 lights and put 2 lights closer in the middle to increase par and light. And put 2 units near the outside left and right. The new build is 96 inches length x 28 inches width x 24 inches high. Any advice is appreciated.

20210911_200405.jpg

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to add that I will be using these lights as well. I have a new 400 gallon build that Just went up July 2021. It will be a mixed reef with an emphasis of lps on the left and right side and the sps acros in the middle. Do you think the 3 lights will be enough? Or should I get 4 lights and put 2 lights closer in the middle to increase par and light. And put 2 units near the outside left and right. The new build is 96 inches length x 28 inches width x 24 inches high. Any advice is appreciated.

20210911_200405.jpg
Depends do you enjoy the natural look or will adjust the lights to be more bluer.

More you move away from 12k daylight to a more 20k deep blue, you will need more power because you will have to turn down the white channel.

With this light I run natural setting and I still get that nice pop. Its very close to my old 14k de hqi MH look at noon.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends do you enjoy the natural look or will adjust the lights to be more bluer.

More you move away from 12k daylight to a more 20k deep blue, you will need more power because you will have to turn down the white channel.

With this light I run natural setting and I still get that nice pop. Its very close to my old 14k de hqi MH look at noon.

I figure if I get 4 units, I could put 2 units closer in the middle where the sps will be. The other 2 units can be over near the left and right ends of the tank to provide complete spread. I figure I will follow a natural look as well with a focus of slightly more blue during the night time.

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure if I get 4 units, I could put 2 units closer in the middle where the sps will be. The other 2 units can be over near the left and right ends of the tank to provide complete spread. I figure I will follow a natural look as well with a focus of slightly more blue during the night time.
I also made it more blue at night and more white in morning.

The bonus to 4 lights is you should be able to run them at lower power also. Can't really go wrong with 4! Can't wait to see your build! Good luck!

I added Philip hue outdoor strip light for moon lights. BtwThey are just as overbuilt as this light. Philips how about getting these apps to talk together?

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

20210911_200405.jpg

First of all, congrats on the tank!

I ran my CoralCare on a 20x20x20 tank, so admittedly I am a fan of overkill. While 3 would probably be sufficient for most coral, I personally would want a minimum of 4 (and would probably try to squeeze a fifth unit in there.)

Im not sure what the future of these lights looks like in the US market, but you can always start with 3 and add more later.

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these work at a larger distance off the water. Say 18 inches or so. I've got a 43x38 tank on the way and will likely end up needing the lights that far off the surface. I figured 2 of them would work on a mixed reef of that size.

RobR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a shot during the whiter spectrum of the schedule. Please note that some of my coral are recovering from paling and brown out, due to low nutrients and some fluctuations over the past few months. How they look a few weeks/months from now will really solidify how I feel about the Coral Care.

E767F8CC-E405-4349-A323-9144FF991FFF.jpeg
What is your lighting schedule?

RobR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

With the highly anticipated release of this new light, I figured I would start a thread chronicling my experiences with it. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to test this light and look forward to providing y’all with some honest feedback. I will be updating this thread with info such as light schedule, PAR map, coral progression, and general feedback.

My tank is just over two years old and is SPS dominant. Dimensions are 20x20x20” - a little overkill for a nano, but it will soon be going on my 50 gallon upgrade. My previous light was a XR30 G4 Pro, which I enjoyed very much. The CoralCare G2 has big shoes to fill, but so far I am very impressed.

My initial impressions:
- Very well built. This thing is a TANK. All metal body with a glass panel.
- Excellent coverage/spread. Getting much more PAR in the corners of the tank versus the Radion.
- Awesome color rendering. The coral do not appear “washed out” even under full blues.

I’ve only had the light over the tank for three days, so you’ll have to stick around to see how well it grows and colors coral. For now, here are some quick pics I’ve snapped since I got the light mounted.

D5EFD7D3-C2CD-4D4E-8E95-EA911C69B27A.jpeg

7A4C35BE-65AA-472B-AD3D-DCBDD75A7545.jpeg

BEAC8833-D750-41F6-AC63-A2738689C693.jpeg

55B32082-B3ED-4642-939F-CF15515C895F.jpeg

3051CD0E-49DE-4995-B532-72CB0C56A868.jpeg

Please feel free to ask any questions you have and I will answer them to the best of my ability!
What is your light schedule look like? I have two over my tank. Yours looks great, corals are popping!

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R fam!

This will be my last update to the CoralCare journal for the time being. I am upgrading tanks and sadly a single fixture would not meet my lighting requirements, simply due to dimensions. Two would be perfect, but alas, I’ve opted to run the new tank with equipment I already own rather than purchase all new equipment.

That being said, I still feel that the CoralCare is an EXCELLENT light and grows coral very well. Perhaps too well! The main reason for upgrading is that I was simply out of room - I had TOO much coral and it was getting to be a chore to keep many of them trimmed back. You won’t be seeing many montipora caps in the new tank..

I hope to run the CoralCare again someday soon - perhaps over a grow out! I have more plans than I have time or money, but there are many tank ideas I have that would the CoralCare would fit perfectly. I will definitely revive this thread as soon as I get the light back into rotation!

Big thanks to CoralVue for giving me the opportunity to test this light, and to all of you who have followed along. If you’re considering this light for your own tank, I definitely recommend it. My own advice is make sure you have a good spot to hang it, that is the most viable solution.

Here are some of the last pics I took of the tank with the CoralCare!

187D2DED-D257-4764-8DFF-2BED898BAA90.jpeg

A10C01EB-F397-4806-A5F9-70929DD5416E.jpeg
65D7B19F-B14E-4167-B6C0-0D5DD9B02EA0.jpeg
AE08B2FC-2FF8-4355-9423-28C79450F0EC.jpeg

Which light will you use?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back