Phillips coral care versus Kessil AP9x for 240gallon tank

starrynight99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, we are building our first tank and thinking about which light to get.

We would like a mixed reef tank. The dimensions are 2.4meters W x 75cm H x 56cm D

Looking at 3 X Phillips coral care gen 2 versus 2 x Kessil AP9X. Would the amount of light be sufficient for the coverage? According to specs, it should be just enough for a mixed reef tank.

Thanks for the help.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know those two light kits will have a very different default spectrum. If you are drawn towards the more blue spectrum then the Coral Care Gen 2's are not the right kit for you. They are are more natural looking light as it relates to spectrum.

Something to think about if you haven't already.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really do like my Coral Care gen 2 fixtures. On the bluest program, it was very similar to my ATI T5 using Blue Plus bulbs. I really love the fact that they are totally silent. I use 2 fixtures over my 240 softy tank.
I did add a pair of Reef Brite XHO's for some added blue pop.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about as fundamentally different as can be. For sps dominant I’d lean toward coral cares, though the kessils would be far more visually appealing.

OP
OP
starrynight99

starrynight99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about as fundamentally different as can be. For sps dominant I’d lean toward coral cares, though the kessils would be far more visually appealing.
thanks for your response. Can you explain why they are so fundamentally different? I am very new to this. I think we will be leaning towards mix reef.

Also, do you think the amount of lighting I have specified above would be sufficient for the size of the tank?

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil lights IMO bring out a much more natural punch in corals imo. No disco ball effect...........the proprietry dense matrix array is a very complet light........no t5s needed

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your response. Can you explain why they are so fundamentally different? I am very new to this. I think we will be leaning towards mix reef.

Also, do you think the amount of lighting I have specified above would be sufficient for the size of the tank?

The kessils are dense bright point sources of light whereas the coral cares are large panels of diffused soft light. One will fill the shade better and imitate fluorescent lighting a lot closer (coral care), the other will look alot sharper, with stronger areas of contrast and dramatic shimmer lines (kessil). Under the kessils the tank will look far more “alive” and the coral care will look flatter in appearance (though that flatness comes with a benefit to corals by filling light in all their nooks, reducing self-shading).

Far as is it enough? It’s enough for soft corals and lower light requiring lps corals. Once you decide to get more stony corals, clams, or anemones you’ll likely want to expand to get more light overlap

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back