Phillips CoralCare V2; 2020 US release

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes its all passive cooling, keep in mind that whole of the lamp is a big heatsink of aluminium and no fan is needed.

I'v been using the first Philips Corale Care version during last two years, and the heatsink function as a charm, and of course zero noise.

I think that the PCC may be is the nearest Led fixture to the old T5 fixtures, at least when we tallk about natural light term.

Yes 10kg, my fixture was on my tank with a boxing bag holder, and is not a joke ;=)

I dont know which is the coverage that the new fitxture has, but the first one was 90cm x 60cm (35" x 23") and is true, i mantain with great success SPS on both sides of a 39" long tank with only one PCC Fixture.

Some pictures of my tank with First Philips Corale Care Fixture Version:

IMG_20181222_161718_716 (1).jpg
IMG_20181222_161738_462 (1).jpg
IMG_20190122_100249_704.jpg
IMG_20190215_191532_604.jpg
That's beautiful! Do you have a build thread on here? I'd love to follow your reef!

ricardh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's beautiful! Do you have a build thread on here? I'd love to follow your reef!

Sorry but i dont have a build thread yet, may be i will do it on nexts weeks.

I just returned to entry at reef2reef again as excuse to read and write in english because i begun to take english classes last september, and my teacher suggested to me to look for things that i like to do in english, and whats better than this hobby ;)

But i took a video few months ago, the tank was better then than now, i was in a Alk trouble last holidays and my corals are still resurrecting.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this fixture will probably hands down lead the market. Their industrial versions gen1 etc put more par and spread than probably most fixtures out there. Glad to see they are coming to US.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really want to see the shimmering effect they have with that diffuser and how it works differently under white vs pure actinic in person.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really, really want to see the shimmering effect they have with that diffuser and how it works differently under white vs pure actinic in person.
While I think the coral care is a wonderfully designed fixture, I think the shimmer bit is marketing fluff. It’s pretty common for blurs to offer very little shimmer and whites to appear exaggerated. When I ran black boxes, the blues didn’t really shimmer but full spectrum did. Every type of blue led strip I use also doesn’t shimmer much at all

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I think the coral care is a wonderfully designed fixture, I think the shimmer bit is marketing fluff. It’s pretty common for blurs to offer very little shimmer and whites to appear exaggerated. When I ran black boxes, the blues didn’t really shimmer but full spectrum did. Every type of blue led strip I use also doesn’t shimmer much at all

I'm guessing they have employed a stronger single emitter (or small cluster of) in the "white" spectrum (outside of others that are actually putting in work) to create shimmer.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matter for your statement - I have seen the fixture in real life and it gives the shimmer they say in spite of a diffusion plate. When you get down in the whites the shimmer disappear like it does in nature when clouds coming in. Its not a marketing fluff

By definition - light run through a diffusion plate can´t get a shimmer effect because it is an effect of a strong point source that will create shimmering effect because the different angels between light and water waves create. This is the reason why T5 tubes do not give a huge shimmering effect,

And I have seen how they have done it and it is ingeniously simple and effective.

Sincerely Lasse

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matter for your statement - I have seen the fixture in real life and it gives the shimmer they say in spite of a diffusion plate. When you get down in the whites the shimmer disappear like it does in nature when clouds coming in. Its not a marketing fluff

By definition - light run through a diffusion plate can´t get a shimmer effect because it is an effect of a strong point source that will create shimmering effect because the different angels between light and water waves create. This is the reason why T5 tubes do not give a huge shimmering effect,

And I have seen how they have done it and it is ingeniously simple and effective.

Sincerely Lasse

Your response isn’t really appropriate based on what we are talking about. I must not have been clear enough.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing they have employed a stronger single emitter (or small cluster of) in the "white" spectrum (outside of others that are actually putting in work) to create shimmer.
That actually makes a lot of sense. The clusters do bring the whites in closer proximity which will exaggerate the caustic lines the diffuser will be lessening

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my guess too. Something like the whites are on tighter lens under the diffuser while the blues are not.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You state
I think the shimmer bit is marketing fluff
You have not even seen the fixture IRL. I have done that - I can say that it is not a marketing fluff - its a reality and a very good solution when you use diffusion plates in order to get a good coulor mixing.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can guess - that´s fair enough - I do not need that - because I have seen it and how it works and how it constructed. And the solution is much easier than a lens

Sincerely Lasse

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If nothing else, having a solution directly from the manufacturer of the LED's powering the fixture and not a mix of industry sources is the largest plus in my book. The fact it's one of the largest in the world doesn't hurt either.

Yea and they make some of the best leds...

Also to some of the posts.
Like I said before I think it was the other thread on this fixture.
I work in the lighting industry and we specify light fixtures and tons of led and none have a fan.
Fans die and there is no way a building that has hundreds to thousands of light fixtures wants to deal with dead fans.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be interested to see the warranty period offered. Rest of the industry is very poor in that regard, other than the one-off charity cases or if you're some type of 'influencer' and get taken care of.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You state

You have not even seen the fixture IRL. I have done that - I can say that it is not a marketing fluff - its a reality and a very good solution when you use diffusion plates in order to get a good coulor mixing.

Sincerely Lasse
That’s not precisely what I’m referring to. I agree. Diffusion plates are great at blending color.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can guess - that´s fair enough - I do not need that - because I have seen it and how it works and how it constructed. And the solution is much easier than a lens

Sincerely Lasse
Agree completely. Reflectors and diffusers are better than lenses

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might actually make me switch from T5s and halides !!!!
@Lasse - how was the spread in your personal view when you saw it in person and the color blending ?
IMO - the coulor blending was very good - there was rather strong shimmering and no disco effect at all. This is a fixture with different types of LED included (I saw red LED in the fixture). If I was not very pleased with my present fixture - I probably have look closer to this. My present LED fixture gives a very good blending and an even spread - like T5 but I have a weak shimmering effect (Mitras Light Bar 2).

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back