View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sir! Representing LA! :cool:

LouisianaStateSealRGBLarge.jpg

Interview would have been even cooler if Coach O conducted it

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interview would have been even cooler if Coach O conducted it

Maybe next time! ;)

Coach O cracks me up, during one of their games this year my first grader announced "LSU's coach sounds like Cookie Monster!"

Jeff - Thanks for sharing a behind the scenes look!

He does sound like Cookie Monster. LOL That is an astute observation right there!

And you are very welcome for the tour! We are super-appreciative that @shiftline took the time to visit us and share his experience with others.

We'll have to do another tour once we move into our new building! ;Joyful

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's been a small update.
Getting everything ready for the launch of the next CoralCare generation! CoralCare Gen2 will be available in Europe end of March via our new CoralCare web shop. URL will be communicated in due time.
For US, we plan to launch in April/May.
coralcare_2.jpg
coralcare_1.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proven vs unproven .... no contest . Yet

Editing my post as I may have taken yours out of context.

The gen5 radion is not proven, but yes. The ecotech brand is. As well as previous generations of Radion.

Also...Philips isn’t unproven. It’s been heavily used in Europe with quite a bit of fanfare.

Did you mean the proven Philips vs the UNproven gen5 radions? For all we know, the app and connectivity/hardware could be riddled with problems out of the gate.

They both do look like beautifully crafted and thoughtfully designed fixtures though. The radion xr30 blue gen5 is the first radion light ive really looked at and said “wow that is nice”. Just wish they’d have swapped the cool whites for warm whites. It would then be basically perfect.

Last edited:

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More bits and pieces I've found:

Since 2016 I’m using the Philips Coralcare units. One of the major design goals was coral growth. Philips has succeeded in offering lights that grow coral very well, emitting a blanket of light with the intensity and spectrum needed to grow corals. The first two models had a housing that looked very industrial. Since December 2019 I am using prototypes of the new 2020 model. Compared to the previous lights, the form factor of the fixture was improved. It looks way less industrial now. Other key factors such as industrial robustness and fanless passive cooling have remained. They have also made sure the lights will not only comply to European but also to American safety standards.

Compared to the previous versions, the new lights stimulate more fluorescence in the corals. The diffusion plate called ‘light guide’ now features four non-diffuse areas with white leds behind these. This feature enables the light to produce a subtle shimmering effect while still avoiding any ‘discoballing’. The tank is lit as even as it would have been lit with a large bank of T5 units while still featuring some shimmering. Especially when the lights are mounted close to the water surface, this subtle shimmering effect is clearly visible.

Another big upgrade is the new controller. Where the previous controller could only be programmed through USB, the new controllers also offer wireless control through an app. This app makes it easy to program the lights using a smartphone. Sharing programs from user to user works flawlessly. The new controller is backwards compatible: all current versions of the Philips Coralcare can be controlled by it. The newest lights cannot be controlled by the old controller.

My first experiences with these new lights are very positive. My main tank is set up according to the ideas described in the books I have published. This tank (measuring 110 x 80 x 70 cm) is lit by two prototypes of the new Philips CoralCare version 2020. These lights supply the animals with enough photons to grow anything I want in any corner of the tank. From a visual perspective, the tank is lit from corner to corner. Fluorescence and colour rendering are very good. Compared to most other lights, the lack of fans (that would be noisy and maintenance sensitive) is a relief to the ears. Together with the high quality pumps I use, the tank produces virtually no noise. The design of the newest models has an improved spouse-approval factor. These lamps, combined with the new wireless controller make a great combination. I can definitely recommend these lights, both for aquarists who keep SPS and LPS."

83113416_489370138440416_2895773796864622592_o.jpg
83512108_489370211773742_2536381258636722176_o.jpg

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Facebook back and forth with Wesley, the owner of the large install posted earlier in this thread regarding the shimmer:

> How apparent is the shimmer effect with the new diffuser / light panel, whatever it's being called? I know we're not talking Kessil levels of shimmer, but compared to other LED you've seen?

> you can compare it with new led it is more like hqi very natural.

> So closer to that elusive metal halide shimmer? Nice. Thanks.

> yes it is really like you are diving.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have to say, disappointing to see a 1 year warranty on this fixture, considering EU Gen1 was 2 years.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have to say, disappointing to see a 1 year warranty on this fixture, considering EU Gen1 was 2 years.

I am checking on the actual warranty length. It is possible the standard 1-year warranty was listed as a matter of course to get the product page live while the actual warranty may indeed be 2-years. In addition, while the product details and specs are accurate to my knowledge, the product description is by no means final. We'll be tinkering it with it this week. Once we get a few loose ends tied up, we'll open a dedicated sponsored forum here for the CoralCare. You just happen to catch us while we're still working on it.

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been mentioned in the thread what the diode array will be?

The competition here in the USA shows customers their arrays so I think they'll have to. However, in case that wasn't already a part of the gameplan, I emailed them to ask. ;)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The competition here in the USA shows customers their arrays so I think they'll have to. However, in case that wasn't already a part of the gameplan, I emailed them to ask. ;)

I like being aware of what’s available. Truthfully I feel like disclosing the diodes is a matter of honesty and transparency. If it’s kept secret that is worrisome to me. Seems like an excuse to provide lower quality components without having to answer for it. I could be wrong but that is my initial gut reaction to it. It’s Philips though so you know it’ll be good. Just would be nice to at least know the array

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back