Phoenix 14k...not as blue as I remember?

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently switched back to halides - 150w HQI Hamilton setup - and couldn't be happier. Bulb selection is limited in 150w DE so went with the tried and true Phoenix 14k. Very happy with how the corals have responded but it's not as blue as I remember. My memory, which may be failing me, thought it was pretty blue although not as blue as a 400w Radium SE.

For those of you that run Phoenix DE bulbs: are you running supplemental actinic LED's? My bulb is two weeks in so it should be burned in. Maybe I'm just compromised because of running ATI Blue+ T5's and a Radion.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently switched back to halides - 150w HQI Hamilton setup - and couldn't be happier. Bulb selection is limited in 150w DE so went with the tried and true Phoenix 14k. Very happy with how the corals have responded but it's not as blue as I remember. My memory, which may be failing me, thought it was pretty blue although not as blue as a 400w Radium SE.

For those of you that run Phoenix DE bulbs: are you running supplemental actinic LED's? My bulb is two weeks in so it should be burned in. Maybe I'm just compromised because of running ATI Blue+ T5's and a Radion.
I ran both Phoenix and Radiums back in the day. The Phoenix was always crisp white with a little blue. I ran actinic lights to supplement. I think we are just used to seeing bluer tanks these days and that's why it looks whiter now.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does your tank look like? Post a picture. Here’s a pic of mine with 14,000K Hamilton bulbs. I ran 10,000K for years, and these seemed too blue to me at first. But I have grown to like the color and will probably stick with 14,000K going forward. Others may look at my tank and think it isn’t blue enough. It’s all a matter of personal preference.
img_5929-1-jpg.1496685

OP
OP
TerraFerma

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your tank look like? Post a picture. Here’s a pic of mine with 14,000K Hamilton bulbs. I ran 10,000K for years, and these seemed too blue to me at first. But I have grown to like the color and will probably stick with 14,000K going forward. Others may look at my tank and think it isn’t blue enough. It’s all a matter of personal preference.
img_5929-1-jpg.1496685

How you like the Hamilton 14k's? I stuck one in last week (it came with the fixture. And side note: Dave at Hamilton is awesome) and it looked like a bizarre dim purple to me. Did I get a weird one or does it take a while to burn in?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really blue, you've just normalized blue light. Also, phoenix aren't even really 14k, they're 20k+. I never liked them as much as Radiums because they washed out tanks with blue. Just remember the type of ballast makes a big difference with the color of these bulbs.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo subjective on what’s blue, white and too blue or too white.

What's blue isn't really subjective :) But yeah, everyone perceives what's natural looking or appealing differently.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you like the Hamilton 14k's? I stuck one in last week (it came with the fixture. And side note: Dave at Hamilton is awesome) and it looked like a bizarre dim purple to me. Did I get a weird one or does it take a while to burn in?
You can see even from my picture that they do have a purplish tint to them. Either that or my coralline is drowning out the color! I guess for me, the aesthetics of the lights are secondary to the coral growth; that’s the main thing I’m after. So as long as the color doesn’t offend me, I’m ok with it. But the 14,000k bulbs definitely have more color than the 10,000k. Those 10,000k bulbs were bright white. I have a purple acro frag that I didn’t even know had a green base until I put the 14,000k bulbs in. I’ve been partial to Hamilton bulbs and have pretty much been using them exclusively since the 90’s. I’ve just had good luck with them, they have worked for me, so I’ve been reluctant to try anything else. I’m also running a 250w in the center of my tank and 2 - 175’s on either end. Single end, mogul base, not the double end.

OP
OP
TerraFerma

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vette67.

Here is the PEC 14k 150w DE over my tank. Don’t get me wrong - it’s leagues bluer than any 10k. Just not as blue as I remember which could very well be because I’ve been blued out on LEDs and Blue Plus T5’s.

BB7BC4C2-8CB1-46DE-B39E-547C2D9192A0.jpeg

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vette67.

Here is the PEC 14k 150w DE over my tank. Don’t get me wrong - it’s leagues bluer than any 10k. Just not as blue as I remember which could very well be because I’ve been blued out on LEDs and Blue Plus T5’s.

BB7BC4C2-8CB1-46DE-B39E-547C2D9192A0.jpeg

What ballast are you using? Also, I think the 150w DE might look and react a little different to certain ballasts than the SE 250w.

OP
OP
TerraFerma

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast are you using? Also, I think the 150w DE might look and react a little different to certain ballasts than the SE 250w.

I'm running it on a Hamilton M102. It's apparently the new version of an M81 (which is no longer manufactured).

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes iFind i Need a carbon change to get the accurate color

pull Some Of The dissolved organics out of
The water and reevaluate

I’ve only run 150 Phoenix on electronic ballast and it was Pretty blue

the pic You Posted looks a little greenish

in my experience when I have greenish looking water I need some New carbon

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back