Phosphate issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus, I am having issues getting my phosphates under control. Was hoping to ask you a few questions.
I am happy to go through this with you and help you figure out what might be a good path to go down. There are so many variables, that it is much better to chat by phone to discuss these kinds of issues, if you are up for that. Our office is closed this week. But please give me a call in the office next week, anytime at 413-367-0101 and we can go over it all.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was following this to see if this was a salt issue or not. Didn’t think it was but still curious.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou that’s awesome that you would speak with that Reefer personally! You could hv helped many many more people by doing it here on R2R forum. I am having trouble getting mine down after mini crash. Used to run at .02 to .03 for 2 years and very stable! Now my Hannah reads .26 for 4 weeks in a row. Funny thing is corals are growing better than ever and look great. I wonder if my tester is broke?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou that’s awesome that you would speak with that Reefer personally! You could hv helped many many more people by doing it here on R2R forum. I am having trouble getting mine down after mini crash. Used to run at .02 to .03 for 2 years and very stable! Now my Hannah reads .26 for 4 weeks in a row. Funny thing is corals are growing better than ever and look great. I wonder if my tester is broke?

There was some research i read here recently showing faster calcification at higher phosphate levels(but also more fragile skeletons).

Cant find the post at the moment but it included real research not just reefers giving anecdotal examples.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't surprise me that your corals are doing so great. 0.02 and 0.03 ppm is at the very bottom of a range that might work. No doubt that your 0.26 ppm is now on the high side and may lead to some algae issues down the road. It would be great if you could find a middle ground. My invitation to call and talk it through is really to anyone that I might be able to help. As I stated, there are so many factors that can play into this PO4 thing, that it is extremely difficult to work it through in a forum setting. The basics and the generalities are great for forum discussions. But, in my opinion, when it gets into the myriad of specifics of an individual system, it is often too time consuming to do it in the forum. If a phone call can help get somebody on the right track, it is sometimes more effective for the aquarist.

Please feel free to call me as well if you would like to go over your specific situation. It does sound like your PO$ took a tremendous jump. There has to be a good reason for that! :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back