Phosphate Levels with API Test Kit

Rypped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, newbie to saltwater tanks here.... I've had a problem with algae and bought the API Phosphate test kit. I've checked procedure over and over, yet everything I test is showing 1.0-2.0ppm. In addition to my tank water, I've tested saltwater from my LFS, bottled water, distilled water, and freshwater from my RO tap..... Can this test kit be faulty? SHould I bite the bullet and buy a Hanna? Thanks in advance!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious about keeping corals yes you should. Get the Hanna ULR phosphorus tester, it is my favorite and I think the best. I don't trust API for salt, but is my standard for my fresh tank.

OP
OP
Rypped

Rypped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious about keeping corals yes you should. Get the Hanna ULR phosphorus tester, it is my favorite and I think the best. I don't trust API for salt, but is my standard for my fresh tank.
Any thoughts on why everything seems to be testing in the same range? The procedure is straightforward enough and I'm being very attentive to it so I just can't figure out how my LFS water and distilled water could be that high.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just false readings from the API kit. You need to compare it with better test kits.

Back